Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Anybody know if this is accurate? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Anybody know if this is accurate?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly. Ever hear that a bill "died in committee?" Meaning that it was kept in a committee until the time limit for it to be voted on was passed, or it was superceded, or the sponsors just let it drop because it was obvious that the committee was not going to release it for a vote. Many bills die this way (including, fortunately, many of Jesse Helms's). It's like filibustering, but nobody has to talk. You just keep it off the agenda.

I believe that that's the belief expressed, that Bush's appointees are "dying in committee" rather than being either accepted or rejected outright. That they're being stalled, 'discussed' interminably rather than put through to the Senate for a yea or nay vote.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we should set it up where the presidential appointees are automatically in, unless SPECIFICALLY blocked? It'd keep people from pulling stunts like this, and force them to explain exactly WHY the judges were being blocked.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if I'm reading the HSJC page right, there are currently 10 Democratic members to 9 Republican.

Ooh, look another patented Omega Logic Leap™! Farquad expresses a belief that may - or may not - be true (and I'm not even sure whether it's his belief that is being expressed); notice how Omeychops immediately leaps onto the bandwagon to demand that a major piece of legislation, one which could have serious implications for the whole three-branches-of-government thing, be instituted to stop THEM, THOSE PEOPLE, from doing it again.

OK, more questions (I gave up trying to figure your government out when I got stuck over Electoral Colleges; I'm trying to catch up): the Senate is basically even right now, correct? What about the House? What is happening with welfare reform? And who's behind it? And what's the prescription drugs Bill about?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demand? Did I demand anything?

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he didn't appear to...

Then you would have the parties blocking the blocking, while a Pres's henchperson got the job... and maybe not for the benefit of the people overall....

So it would actually keep the status quo on politics, and let the Pres appoint away, maybe to the detrement of the people...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clarification: It's the opinion expressed, not necessarily mine (Honestly, I don't know enough about the proccess or who's been confirmed and who hasn't and who's stuck in committee to take a stand either way.)

I don't think that that change would help, Omega. Especially if we had a Democratic president instead. *shudder* No, let the system work the way it does, just put more scrutiny on the committee. Sort of a "watching the watchmen" thing.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, get this, the Democrats, those partisan lying scum, could just approve of all of Mr. Bush's judges because "we're at war!!!"

Or, get this part two, you could shut up about the Democrats, those partisan lying scum, because the Republicans, those non-partisan flowers of purity, when in control of the Senate did the same thing, i.e. using Senate procedure to not bring about a vote.

It's called politics. Apparently playing politics is ok and above board for Republicans, those non-partisan flowers of purity, but oh no, don't let the Democrats, those partisan lying scum, oppose any of Mr. Bush's Hard-Right judicial nominations.

It was interesting to hear the Republicans, those non-partisan flowers of purity, say 'what comes around goes around' after Priscilla Owen was rejected by the Judiciary Committee considering Mr. Bush bypassed a more moderate judge to nominate someone with Hard-Right, anti-consumer credentials. But we know, no Democrate, those partisan lying scum, has ever opposed a judge or ever even voted on principle. Republicans, those non-partisan flowers of purity, shun politics at every turn and only vote the way their principles tell them.

Must be tough to be a flower of purity in the Senate.

And get this, Mr. Bush is even out there saying he's going to nominate conservative judges! He doesn't even have the sense to say he's going to nominate the best judges. No, not Mr. Bush. He's going to nominate conservatives and then whine when they get opposed. As a uniter and not a divider, I guess that's the way to get things done.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice wording....

Need a mop to clean up the dripping tho....

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back, Jay. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Nice wording....

Need a mop to clean up the dripping tho....

Yes, he does tend to drool and foam at the mouth a lot.

If he were as fair as he pretends to be, he'd note that I asked if anybody knew if these things were true, and I talked about the accusations that were being made, and reiterated a request for information. I did not make a statement.

Then again, his are the same folks who turn a memorial service into a partisan campaign rally, and ambushed the "enemy" who had just showed up to bid farewell to a respected opponent.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a big brush. Where can I get one like it?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

Funny thing about broad strokes: they're rarely wrong in their entirity. It's almost always a matter of degree. You're saying, "Oh, he said that Democrats did something that they did. It's a generalization, and therefore wrong." Even if it WAS a generalization, it would still be a correct and useful one, because the vast majority of Democrats present did, in fact, do what Rob said they did.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

It also hit home for both parties, since they both do act this way.... It is called politics...

I am sure that the Dems will have a reverse situation to through in your face in due time, and the same arguments will flow in the opposite...

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Yes, and I'm sure we can't call Hitler on his genocide, because I'm sure that in due time he'll have an example of it to throw back in our face.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]

Christ you are such a shit brain. Be nice if your parents had tought you to actually think for yourself.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps