Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is it about oil? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is it about oil?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more worried about the patrol boats that the partol boats
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesty of Fark, some prime asshat material.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/21703_wineban.html

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is tremendous ignorance on the Middle East in our country. We think all people of the region are the same so to our thinking it's not ridiculous if there is connection between Iraq and Al Queda. For others, especially those who live in the region, there are religious differences between these two entities. Perhaps as big as the separation between Catholics and Protestants in northern Ireland.

This war has nothing to do with oil nor the freedom of Iraqi people. This is revenge for the attempted murder of former President Bush in 1993. Revenege is a powerful narcotic for a neurotic son raised to believe in the greatness of his own family.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This war has nothing to do with oil nor the freedom of Iraqi people."

Disagreed and agreed, respectively.

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oil is a sweet plus, if the Americans are able to wrestle the contracts for oil drilling and exploration away from the Russians and the French.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the US unilaterally invades Iraq, there will be no question of drilling rights. Even if they get UN backing, they'll have no trouble arguing that France and Russia get nothing, since they hindered the "war effort" in the first place.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How can Hussein be compared to Hitler when he has no navy or air force, and now has an army one-fifth the size of 12 years ago, which even then proved totally inept at defending the country?

How about: "They both tried to wipe out ethnic groups within their borders?"

Hitlers borders kept expanding, so he got bigger numbers, and most didn't know till the allies got there, whereas SH's gassing of the Kerds got out quickly.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a difference between Hitler and Saddam?

A few bright boys got together and stopped Saddam when he tried to take over his Sudetenland (Kuwait.)

You know, if we wanted the oil so badly, we could have taken it in 1991.

Or we could just lift the sanctions and have it at a much lower cost. Of course, this would hand Saddam the victory and guarantee that no reform ever takes place in Iraq...

We already have enough troops in Kuwait to take their oil.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Or we could just lift the sanctions and have it at a much lower cost. Of course, this would hand Saddam the victory and guarantee that no reform ever takes place in Iraq...

We already have enough troops in Kuwait to take their oil.

You mean like the great reforms that took place in Kuwait after they were liberated. The normal citizens of Iraq were better off then the normal citizens of kuwait before Iraq invaded. Had we left Iraq alone, the Kuwaities might be better off now.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02242003/postopinion/opedcolumnists/31041.htm

quote:
It is remarkable how Iraq's huge oil reserves - second largest in the world - prove two key points.

First, just how desperately Saddam clings to his nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs. His refusal to scrap them 12 years ago, as he pledged, cost Iraq more than $100 billion in lost oil revenue, perhaps as much as $200 billion. That's a lot to forgo for a WMD arsenal. But it's WMD that Saddam values most. No price his people pay is too high for his personal ambitions.

Second, Iraq's having gobs of oil shows how principled America and England are. For unlike the French and Russians, our leaders - both Republican and Democratic, Labour and Conservative - have willingly sacrificed acquiring cheaper oil to force Saddam's scrapping his WMD arsenal.We had hope that this would be done through UN sanctions and inspection teams. It was a nice try, but that effort obviously hasn't worked. So force must now be used.

quote:
One last point on "blood for oil." Iraq's having substantial reserves - and the whole Middle East holding much of the world's oil supply - is a legitimate factor in our concerns in the region. Even the recent Noble Peace Prize winner, President Jimmy Carter, understood the importance of oil to the development world when president. In 1979, after the Soviets brutally invaded Afghanistan, President Jimmy Carter asserted the Carter Doctrine, which offered U.S. protection of Gulf states precisely because of their abundant oil.

quote:
To turn the protestors on their head: President Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair don't act on the basis of "blood for oil." It's Saddam who's been on a clear path of "oil for blood." That now must end.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I almost forgot how principled Mr. Bush is.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

20 lashes for a one-line ad-hominem.

You could have at least given us a decent anti-Bush diatribe.

--------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Grokca:
[/QUOTE]You mean like the great reforms that took place in Kuwait after they were liberated. The normal citizens of Iraq were better off then the normal citizens of kuwait before Iraq invaded. Had we left Iraq alone, the Kuwaities might be better off now. [/QB][/QUOTE]

If by "better off" You mean DED! that's right D-E-D!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jimmy Carter understood the importance of oil to the development world"

Yeah, when 1) developing countries are permitted to exploit their own resources WITHOUT foreign interference, as is their SOVEREIGN RIGHT, and 2) the revenues generated from said oil go to the general population instead of being divided among the elite.

Carter understood THAT, too. But then, he was no hawk.

[ February 27, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
How about a difference between Hitler and Saddam?

A few bright boys got together and stopped Saddam when he tried to take over his Sudetenland (Kuwait.)

Oh yes, Hitler invaded the Sudetenland, and BANG! you lot were there barely 2 years later.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps