Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is the U.N. Relevant? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is the U.N. Relevant?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you do.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
I need to have more society with the ladies, I will tell you that right now.

Quality over quantity, my freind.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but by "more" he meant "any" or "at all." 8)

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am open for all the world to see. I bleed tears.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know you even had a speculum.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In high school you were voted most likely to get high / In my yearbook you drew black drops from a bloodshot eye"

I'm superconfused here. How is a global society being conflated with the idea of a world government? Europe during the 19th and early 20th centuries was held in place by an exceedingly baroque system of treaties and countertreaties and countercountertreaties. Instant global civil society. One which happened to collapse in an exceedingly messy way, but these things happen. New ones get created.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That quaint 19th century baroqe system was funded with the sweat and blood of europe's "colonies" like India and all was well...if you happened to be a blue-blooded aristocrat (as opposed to the 99% of the population living in the squalor and filth that was the industrial revolution.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah...and? The last global civil society we had was predicated on the threat of thermonuclear armageddon.
Lee
Member # 393

As long as humanity is fixated on our differences rather than our similarities, a viable global society or government remains impossible. Just the most common objection to any such thing - "there might be enough people who are different to me to vote for something I wouldn't want" - highlights that.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well those people just won't have any place in our harmonious global civil society then, will they? We'll run 'em out on a rail (-gun).
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I always liked the "mass kill" option on "Scorched Earth."
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
That's why I always liked the "mass kill" option on "Scorched Earth."

Scorched Earth. I remember that game!

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

For the last time, "global civil society" does not mean "happy bunnies living in Fluffytown Junction." Or is this just some conspiracy to drive me mad?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Great name!
We'll call our country "Fluffytown Junction" and then run all them dissidents out on a rail!

Sol, you miss the point that your "global civil society" has never been civil and it's "society" is only a pretense to regroup between armed conflicts and oppressions.

We've never known a world that talks out it's problems without at least the threat of armed response to back up their P.O.V.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

*grin*

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps