Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Boycott Life magazine! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Boycott Life magazine!
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was browsing my school library's magazine shelf today, and the cover of Life magazine caught my eyes. It was about 60 years of influential, famous television shows. I flipped through the article, thinking Star Trek had to be one of these. Oh yes, they did list a lot of famous shows chronologically: I Love Lucy, MASH, X-Files, Simpsons, Friends, Seinfeld, (only ones I could remember) etc. Nowhere did I see Star Trek for the 60s section. Nowhere did I see TNG in the 80s/90s section. Star Trek was not mentioned at all. In the 90s section, it listed the three new networks: FOX, WB, UPN. After naming each network, there were parentheses that gave a couple of shows from each, like so: FOX(X-Files, Simpsons), WB(Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek), and for UPN: (a wing, and a prayer).

I slammed the magazine shut and swore I will never read Life magazine again.

------------------
"A fellow's invented see-through film
He calls it 'cellophane!'
Another has built a parachute
For jumping out of an airplane!

Remarkable things flow endlessly
From out the human brain!
Indeed
And what a remarkable age this is!"
--Titanic: the Musical

[This message was edited by Tora Ziyal on March 30, 1999.]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*HISS*

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hookspeak* Bad Form! *smack*

------------------
"That is the exploration that awaits you: Not mapping the stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possiblities of existence." - Q, All Good Things...

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziyal is a woman of her convictions at any rate.

I will say that leaving Star Trek off of a discussion of television shows is rather bad form. The show is intelligent and deals with issues in a way that most other TV shows just never will. And it's really cool too.

But a boycott Ziyal??

------------------
My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Starts pacing around the Forums holding up a sign that says "Life Stinks"*

------------------
Ah... Now I enter these hallowed halls a conqueror... Yes...

-Megatron, "The Agenda, Part Three"

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not surprised that this article has left out Star Trek altogether, because I see it has included shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dawson's Creek. Obviously these people don't know what they're talking about (although they did manage to get it right when they listed X-Files ). I'll have to add this to my list of reasons I don't read that magazine.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, all of the shows listed are "pop culture" shows. Star Trek is by no means a part of American "pop culture", therefore it is left out. And what about credit to decent news channels, like CNN, and MSNBC? Up to date news 24 hours a day, and no mention, at least I don't think there was. *Many curses upon Life Magazine*

------------------
"We choose to do this and more. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
-- John F. Kennedy

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, its 60 years of NETWORK television. And with the exception of Voyager (which was omitted for obvious reasons), Trek has been primarily syndicated. Now, TOS was on NBC, but produced quite independently by Desilu, which might its explain its absence. (And the fact it really only became a pop-culture icon when off the network in the seventies). So lets not boycott Life until it lists the best shows, network or non-network of the last sixty years, and leaves out Trek.

------------------
"Breen. Try saying it. Bre-een. Rolls nicely off the tongue, doesn't it?"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tsk.

Can no-one remember the phrase: Letter to the editor?

I imagine if someone posted Life Magazine's email addy we could send them a lot of opinions.

Mine is that Star Trek, as silly as TOS was, was SERIOUS science fiction. It wasn't aimed at the tykes in elementary school, but their older brothers & sisters.

History question: What nation first instituted regular broadcast television?

Which was the second?

Bonus points: What was the screen resolution?

------------------
CONSUMER NOTICE:
Because of the "Uncertainty Principle," It Is Impossible for the Consumer to Find Out at the Same Time Both Precisely Where This Product Is and How Fast It Is Moving.

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 02, 1999.]

Jordan
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I betcha B5 wasn't mentioned either.

------------------
Goodnight my love...the brightest star in my sky...

Goodnight...you have been my sky, my sun and my moon...

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, the guyz who made this article don't watch Star Trek at all. Probably sexists who believe in such shows such as Dawsons Creek or Buffy the Vampire Slayer (to which I call awful).

I wonder if Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place or even BABEwatch was mentioned in there........

Trek fans unite, lets slay the LIFE beast....... *do you know of an email address Ziyal?*

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.pathfinder.com/life
Look under features.
I sent them a letter from this page. You don't get the article here, they're just advertiseing it. (I used spell check before sending)

Warped1701: anything that is quoted, missquoted, spunoff, sprouted countless web site, magizine articles, has to be a part of popular culture.
Star Trek has had to much of an impact to be left out.

------------------
Parallax

[This message was edited by The Excalibur on March 31, 1999.]

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the history question, I think it was England, but I don't know the resolution.

------------------
Parallax

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*has now also e-mailed LIFE concerning this*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B5 was syndicated, except for season 5. (wasn't it) If it was, it harldy deserves to get in for season 5.

BTW, Trek is SOOOOO much a part of American pop culture. Hell, it was referenced in WAYNE'S WORLD. AT LEAST TWICE.

I love that champagne/white wine quote: 'Ah yes. In many ways it's a lot like Star Trek: The Next Generation. Although in many ways superiour to the original, it will never quite attain the same impact.' (or something, been a while)

And Buffy is one of the best shows on TV. Leave it alone. Qitty, funny, sexy, and clever in a way thaat Xena and Hercules NEVER are.

------------------
'It's okay to only know three chords but God, put them in the right order'
-Hank Hill

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps