Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Boycott Life magazine! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Boycott Life magazine!
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: Would the first nation be Germany? *Remembers the movie Contact*

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here I was thinking you were boycotting due to unacceptbale images.....

Now....I hear the Russians have a few spare. ICBM's.......anyone care to give me to co-ordicates of the aforementioned magazine?

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit I had to look it up: 180 lines at 25 frames/sec (interlaced?).

------------------
I know engineers - they love to change things. (McCoy, STTMP)
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Germany transmission was just the first TV signal broadcast into space, actually.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Rodimus Prime: "Don't panic. Stay calm until we know what's going on. Then we'll panic."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
["The envelope please..."]

...And the winner is:

A tie! Tora Ziyal and Bernd each got part of the answer. As far as the year is concerned, I think it was 1936 (I'll have to go look it up).

Germany was the first nation to have regularly-scheduled television programming. Just how regular the schedules were, I don't know.

The resolution was 180 lines at 25 frames/second.

Your trophy:

------------------
READ THIS BEFORE OPENING PACKAGE:
According to Certain Suggested Versions of the Grand Unified Theory, the Primary Particles Constituting this Product May Decay to Nothingness Within the Next Four Hundred Million Years.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much. I can't find the right words to express my gratitude. I'd like to thank all the people who *sob* supported me, who believed in me, my family *weep* and my mother *cry*.
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too get angry when Trek is slighted.

Take the endless "TV Awards" they run out every year. And the nominees, as presented to the voting plebs in the public, for best drama: List all soap operas.
For best actor: List "Grant from Eastenders" and one of the McGanns for something on BBC2 which nobody knew was on.

Most of UK TV isn't fit to clean Trek's shoes in terms of quality. But then true genius is never appreciated in its own lifetime. And never by the ignorant masses.

------------------
"I'm sorry I'm late....
I've been irrigating the desert...
Which isn't easy on your own."
- M&W

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AUGH! TOTALLY distastfull .. That's just not on. How can they neglect something that so obviously has had an impact on America and other nations Worldwide? ... Right, that's it. I'm off to Life Magazine to see if I can't "fix" this problem with the cheif editor.
*Loads up her bag o' fun with a few whips, some handcuffs, and a gun*

Oh and BTW.. Don't knock Buffy!.. That show is awesome! I mean, the subject matter they deal with first off is very interesting....and who can ignore Sarah Michelle Gellar when the INSIST on dressing her in those tight pants and skimply clothes? Hmm? ... Not to mention that she's just SO damn good at kicking butt......

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I can. *L*

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer Drusilla

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh, I thought this was gonna be a parody off of Boys Life Magazine.

And wait! I don't even buy Life anyway! So f*ck 'em.
------------------
What do you mean I'm not kind. Just not you're kind.
--Dave Mustaine
"Peace Sells"
MEGADETH

[This message was edited by Cargile on April 10, 1999.]

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an e-mail from a life editor today, looks like they are going to print my letter.
(letter)
"It has come to the attention of some of us in the Star Trek community, that "Star Trek" was ignored in your article "The Shows that Changed America". Four series and nine movies alone make "Star Trek" in influential in changing America. The first interacial kiss on television was done in the sixties on "Star Trek". Creator Gene Roddenberry set out to show that we can have a better future, that we can over come most of the problems faceing the world today.
Most people don't take Sci-Fi seriously, but it deals with the same issues that we live with today. No list of Television shows that "changed America" could be complete without a nod to "Star Trek" (/letter)

Should I send her a note and tell her that the kiss was faked.

------------------
We'rree Baaaccckkk

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

Woohoo! You go Excalibur!

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps