Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Why aren't we giving these guys the same treatment? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why aren't we giving these guys the same treatment?
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see--North Korea has invaded a weaker country to the south. Same as Iraq. It has expelled UN inspectors. Same as Iraq. It was developing weapons of mass destruction--like Iraq--but did, in fact, make some. It has nuclear weapons and has threatened to use them. They have repeatedly threatened the US and tried to capture a spy plane in early March. They have also threatened Japan. Are these things stupid people say, First of Two, or are these things the truth? If so, why is NK not a threat? Instead of saying things are stupid answers, why don't you back up your statements?

--------------------
Meh

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see indeed.

Invaded a weaker country or three to the south: check.
Keeps UN inspectors out: check.
Developed weapons of mass destruction: check.
Possesses nuclear weapons and a doctrine that calls for their use: check.
Takes a dim view at spy planes: check.

Yet the US is not considered much of a threat even by its recently vocal ex-allies. So why should NK? [Confused]

Timo Saloniemi

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but the US has this rock-solid government, see, which is solely interested in promoting peace, freedom*, democracy and Jesus, see, so it is INCONCEIVABLE that anyone would consider them a threat, see.

*Pinochet-style

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh. I'm so frustrated by the crap that comes out of the Bush administration that I can't even put it to words.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The form of politics that has had success in dealing with the North Korean gov't has been one of calm rhetoric, if you'll do a little history checking, folks. Since the end of hostilities on the Korean Penninsuala, the NK's have rattled their saber plenty of times. However, they have yet to make good on any of their threats, tho they have sent the occasional bunches of spies south. They make threats, yet don't actually make good on them.

It's my opinion, after having spent some time in the Republic of (South) Korea (ROK), that what NK is doing is to get world attention, not unlike a child who seeks "bad" attention by doing things it knows it shouldn't do. Things are pretty bad there and they think that if they play the role of the Bad Ass that people will take them seriously and give in to their demands. It really is a shame that they can't get past this posturing and just reconcile w/the South. Things would be so much better for both sides if the North and South were to reunite and become one country again.

Now, do I think that NK is a threat to ROK and likely the Japanese? Hell yeah!

What a lot of Westerners don't understand is that most Asian countries have a completely different mindset. They don't think like we do, nor do we think like they do. It's probably the closest to an "alien" mindset as you can come across on the planet. This is especially true of NK, which has very little contact with Western countries. It is entirely possible that they could launch an attack - like a low-yield nuke - of some sort thinking that they could contain and minimize any "damages". They're a Very Powerful Country in their mind and people will listen. [Roll Eyes]

People like this are like a guy who walks into a convenience store with a loaded gun and a wild look in his eyes. You don't scream and yell at him to put the gun down! You reason with him and try to get him to put the gun down on his own. All the while, you are allowing for the snipers to move in - just in case things go bad real quick-like.

I think we need to be more concerned about India and Pakistan, personally. I see those two countries popping the top on some Kilotonnage before NK....

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I semi disagree with is the India/Pakistan thing. They may use nukes, but it will be against each other, not another neibghor just to make themselves feel better.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They're a Very Powerful Country in their mind"

http://www.sianews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=884

Cartman
Member # 256

But don't worry, the Nation under God is dedicated to making the world a safer place for all human beings:

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,58592,00.html

http://www.lanl.gov/worldview/news/releases/archive/03-054.shtml

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
"They're a Very Powerful Country in their mind"

http://www.sianews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=884

I consider that article highly biased. To think that US fighters weren't alerted to what was going on - and possibly in the air heading that way - is ubsurd. I was stationed in ROK and can tell you that there are USAF, USN, ROKN and ROKAF aircraft in the air all the time. If you think that they'd allow a US aircraft to be shot down, you're very wrong.

Things in the real world are a lot different then you're going to find in most news sources. While I'm not saying - nor did I ever - that North Korea couldn't engage the ROK and US Forces in combat, they just don't have the technological advantage that we do. And while their ground forces have a great deal of training time with all the exercises that they run, the ROK and US forces in Korea don't exactly sit on their collective backsides and kick back a case of soju each and every day.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Let's see--North Korea has invaded a weaker country to the south. Same as Iraq. It has expelled UN inspectors. Same as Iraq. It was developing weapons of mass destruction--like Iraq--but did, in fact, make some. It has nuclear weapons and has threatened to use them. They have repeatedly threatened the US and tried to capture a spy plane in early March. They have also threatened Japan. Are these things stupid people say, First of Two, or are these things the truth? If so, why is NK not a threat? Instead of saying things are stupid answers, why don't you back up your statements?

Veers:

I never said NK was not a threat. Re-read the posts. Use your English-to-numbskull translator.

Tahna said: "Since when was NK considered not a threat anyway?"

I replied "That's just another thing the stupid people say."

Message: stupid people say that NK is not considered a threat.

"You are stupid! You are stupid! And don't forget... You are stupid!!!" - Dexter, "Dexter's Lab"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
But don't worry, the Nation under God is dedicated to making the world a safer place for all human beings:

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,58592,00.html

http://www.lanl.gov/worldview/news/releases/archive/03-054.shtml

Oh, good. More nukes. Just what we need.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China is the Next Big Threat.

They steal our jobs. They have nuclear/bio/chemical weapons. They steal our jobs. They have the means to deliver NCB weapons. They are wrecking our economic livelyhood by stealing all of our jobs. They also have oil.

What we need to do is take down China next. Possibly India too, for the same reasons.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:

Tahna said: "Since when was NK considered not a threat anyway?"

I replied "That's just another thing the stupid people say."

Message: stupid people say that NK is not considered a threat.

Now, I haven't got an IQ of 168, but my understanding of that conversation went as follows:

"Since when was NK considered not a threat
anyway?"

"That just another thing stupid people say"

Message: Stupid people make comments highlighting the fact that NK really should be considered a threat.

But thanks for showing us all how English really works. We are in your debt.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"Since when was NK considered not a threat
anyway?"

"That just another thing stupid people say"

Message: Stupid people make comments highlighting the fact that NK really should be considered a threat.

And I took it to mean that stupid people say that NK isn't a threat....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, some people actually backed me up. I waited a while to post a response to see if anyone else interpreted Fo2's comment as I did.

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps