Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Damn Vancouver. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Damn Vancouver.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear, I feel pretty pissed off right now.

[Mad] [Frown] [Mad]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you rather Canada had no Olympic games? Vancouver only won by 3 votes and Toronto has no guarentee of winning in 2012.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada won? Huh.

It's not on the news or anything.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They would if Vancouver lost. The fiasco of Beijing's win is perhaps what swayed the IOC to vote Vancouver.

Now they have no guarantee whatsoever for 2012, and perhaps 2016 and 2020.

This is not the right time for pity. By the time Toronto finally has wins the right to host the Olympics, I'll probably be dying of natural causes.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
They would if Vancouver lost. The fiasco of Beijing's win is perhaps what swayed the IOC to vote Vancouver.

Um, OK, what guarentee would Toronto have if Vancouver lost?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Saltah'na
Member # 33

The IOC voted Beijing after Beijing whined about losing the 2000 games to Sydney. And because they claim that they were emerging from the shadows of Communism (which they are definitely not). Toronto had a very strong bid, but for the IOC, it was already a done deal.

I agree, no guarantee. It would have given Toronto a stronger chance, but now, there is DEFINITELY a guarantee that Toronto will not be hosting for a long long time.

Too long for me. [Frown]

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Can't Toronto just complain and get 2016?

--------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

You've gotta be kidding. That close? Lessee now, Canada has now (or is now) hosted (or hosting) three separate Olympics. within the span of 35 years. To many, that's too short a span. As people are saying, other countries who have never hosted an Olympics will start complaining about getting their due (*coughcough* Communist China).

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But 2012 is the last Olympics. The world ends at 5:03AM on December 21st, 2012. Man, is Toronto is gonna be pissed then.
Saltah'na
Member # 33

I am NOT laughing.

There are a lot of people in Toronto who believe we have been robbed, not once (Atlanta), not twice (Beijing), but three times (This).

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because we all know that hosting the Olympics is a surefire rocket ride to planetary success & movie-stardom....right, Sarajevo?

Hey! You guys could get the next World's Fair!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! Kiss our superior Vancouverite behind, Saltah'na, you Torontian crony! [Big Grin]

Weeeeee aaare the chaaampaign, myyyy frieeeends! [Big Grin]

*ducks the bullets*

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point.
Why the hell would you actually *want* the Olympics anyways?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

How exactly was Toronto screwed in 1996? What unfair advantage did Atlanta think up?

Besides, even if Vancouver lost, and Toronto entered for 2012, I'd bet good money New York City would get more votes (not sure if it'd win).

And besides, I don't know what you're complaining about with the gap, it's too soon and such. We only had to wait 4 years between Atlanta and Salt Lake City...

Who would want to do summer sports in Canada anyway? [Razz]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hey, Sanka man...what you smokin'?"
"I'm NOT, man. I'm BREATHIN'."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps