Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » First Amendment: (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Amendment:
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

What I get from the above is:

1. The government will neither establish a state religion, nor interfere with other (not-state) religions.

2. The government will not restrict your right to say what you mean, nor will it restrict that right in other media.

3. The government will not restrict the right of the people to peacefully get together and gripe about the government, and the government must allow them to make these gripes know to it.

I still think the Constitution is unique in that it limits what the government may legally do and reserves all rights not given it to the people. Other documents of this sort may list what rights the people may possess, but any that aren't listed (or added later) don't exist.

Comments?

------------------
I prefer the company of those who aim low and overshoot the mark
to those who aim at heaven and shoot their fellow man in the head.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[Oops! Forgot to close the "ordered list" tags.]

[This message was edited by Baloo on May 23, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really a comment, but a link you might find interesting, Baloo.

Constitution Finder

It's basically a list of a whole bunch of constitutions (or the national equivalent), with links to their online versions.

------------------
"Don't call me at work again. Oh no, the boss still hates me. I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore, and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go...I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare."
--
They Might Be Giants

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True enough Baloo, but what's the point Baloo? Do you expect flames about the First Amendment? Or one could comment on the flames that the ACLU have gotten over it's defense.

------------------
I am selling only the concept of karmic realignment.
You can't sell that! Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By implication, the government has an obligation to prevent restrictions on the free exercise of religion.

This becomes difficult when one considers how many laws originally came into being from a specific religion, for instance the bans on certain types of intimate behaviour between consenting adults.

Also by implication, the government is obliged to protect the rights of people who subscribe to unpopular beliefs in the face of opposition from the majority. This is why it is considered unconstitutional for any oath of office to mandate a certain religious conviction (Something Pat Robertson wants to change).

The government often fails to do this, but sometimes it succeeds, despite harsh criticism from the opposition (For instance, the removal of a mandatory time for prayer in schools).

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really should try our unwritten version - we get to make it up as we go along.

------------------
"It seems strange that I, Kudos, a doubter, should be given this luxurious window seat whilst you.... AGEING with age, rot away in that disgrace of an aisle seat. Ha, Hah!
Where is your God now old woman?!"
"Jesus, I'm sorry I asked...!"

- THE BIG BUS

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Look, for instance, I have just read in our unwritten constitution that by law any women who score more than a B- on the attractiveness scale, and are at my university, must have NO BOYFRIENDS LIVING AT HOME.

------------------
'You want the moon on a stick, don't you?'
-Richard Herring

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I have, being scientifically minded, adopted the "Helen" scale of Beauty. The common unit being a milli-Helen
- i.e the beauty required to launch one ship. (Negative values for ugliness - ability to sink ships )

But Baloo will get cross, so go on with your amendment discussion.

------------------
"It seems strange that I, Kudos, a doubter, should be given this luxurious window seat whilst you.... AGEING with age, rot away in that disgrace of an aisle seat. Ha, Hah!
Where is your God now old woman?!"
"Jesus, I'm sorry I asked...!"

- THE BIG BUS

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also reserves the right of the press to write whatever they want to write. Right?

------------------
WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Within limits. They cannot write slanderous or libelous statements. If they get caught, and a jury agrees that they did it knowingly and deliberately, it can cost them a lot of money.

And of course, if they wrire blatantly untrue things, they're bound to get called on it. Unles they're a tabloid.

This doesn't seem to necessarily apply to books, as I've read a lot of books with blatantly untrue, scientifically invalid, and sometimes knowingly deceptive things in them. (Like astrology manuals, parapsychological books, and anything by "Dr. Duane Gish," Creation Scientist)

And of course, if you write fiction or humor, you can get away with just about anything, even the most thinly veiled digs.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay: You see? Lots of opinions.

Anyone angry? Well, perhaps not yet, but I would rather start this here than in the OL, and then have to come here to see when it got interesting.

A classic first-amendment illustration of not-protected behavior: Yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded building.

------------------
It's good to stir the coals once in a while, if only to see if there's any fire left.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people get Freedom, Rights, and Priviledges confused with Things-I-Can-Do-And-Nobody-Can-Stop-Me-Because-The-Constitution-Says-So.
Bullocks!
I'm for Responcibilty of the Press. The Responcibilty of Speech. The Responcibility of Assembly.

That's what it means anyway. When people are accountable, they may be more aware of what they are expressing.
Is it the Media responcibilty to tell us of Clinton's infidelaties? No. And I don't care. That's between the parties invovled--and not the Democrates and Rebulicans either!
Its not very responcibil to hell HIJACKING on a plane. It's illegal.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very true Baloo, very true.

However one can yell fire in a crowded building if there is a fire.

I tend to think of the First Amendment as the cornerstone of American civil freedoms. It has always been something that the average Joe can look to and reference if the enumerated freedoms are in some way infringed by the government.

Further, I think that even that kind of act that people commit becase they have the written freedom in the Constitution to do it is a real strength of the Amendment. For example, and bringing the level up on the flames in here, on a freedom speech level I think that the right of the citizen to burn the American flag should be and is protected under the Amendment as a legitimate act of protest.

It's not a popular view, but the First Amendment is there to protect such unpopular views and allow the freedom to state such views. It is a paradox that the American people cry havoc when rights are abused or abridged somehow. And yet at the same time, one of the organizations that defend people when Constitutional rights are an issue, the ACLU, is seen as a fringe group.

Food for thought. Hmmm. . . .

------------------
I am selling only the concept of karmic realignment.
You can't sell that! Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, it's bollocks.

So, when you get down to the real nitty-gritty, are there any parts of the first Amendment that don't have equivalent laws in the UK? Or in Australia, France etc? Does the Church of England qualify as a state religion for example?

And what is this whole thing about flag-burning anyway? Is there a historical reason why it is considered such a big deal in the US?

------------------
'His limbs flail about as if independent from his body!'
-Chandler Bing on Michael Flatley.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

The Flag is a symbol of what's SUPPOSED to be RIGHT with The United States of America. Freedom, Sacrifice, Honor, Loyalty, all that.

Much like the Cross is the main symbol for Christianity.

We all know what burning crosses signify, and we know just how much enjoyment Christians get out of it when you treat their symbols with disrespect (just ask Robert Mappelthorpe)

IMHO, Burning the flag essentially says "I don't like what's going on for some reason, and rather than discussing my disagreement in written or verbal form, possibly because I lack the intellectual capacity or verbal skills required for rational discourse, I'm going to instead attempt to desecrate the memories of a bunch of people who died fighting for what this symbol stands for by physically destroying its representation. Duh. Bongo do good."

The flag is not the symbol of the US government, but of the country and the people and their ideals. Insult it and you insult all of us.

In the Boy Scouts they taught us to respect the flag as a living thing. How to care for it, and how to properly dispose of it when it's worn out. Despite my split from Scouting over the whole religion thing, I still hold true to this treatment.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

And I've found 1of2's nerve...

------------------
'His limbs flail about as if independent from his body!'
-Chandler Bing on Michael Flatley.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps