Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » First Amendment: (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Amendment:
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm opposed to any constitutional amendment for four basic reasons, which I will now outline simply because I can.

1.) Opening up the Constitution in the current political climate is an insane proposition. Who knows what sort of screwy riders we'd see tacked on.

2.) The proposed amendment, as I understand it, is extremely vague. What constitutes a flag? Does the full page image of the flag in the newspaper every July 4th count? And if so, does that mean I can never throw away that issue? Or those little tags on clothes that say "Made in America"? All I've heard is along the lines of "thou shalt not desecrate the flag", with no definition of what a flag is, or what constitutes desecration.

3.) This is a minor issue at best. Unless I'm missing something, this nation isn't being plagued by millions of malicious flag-burners. If you have to make a law against it, why does it have to be an amendment? Of course, this one has an easy answer, to be found in number four.

4.) It's blatently unconstitutional. Nothing in this country is sacred. No institution is above criticism, and no symbol is above defacement. Our President is called "Mr. President," not "Your highness." The flag is no different. Elevating it beyond a symbol turns it into an icon. Aside from the free speech issue, that could be viewed as violating the seperation of church and state. After all, if you give the state an icon which cannot, under pain of imprisonment, be defaced, are you not, in effect creating a state religion around flag worship?

Violating the fundamental tenets of the Constitution seems like a far greater insult to those who have given everything for our freedom then burning a flag would be.

------------------
"Should have changed that stupid lock. Should have thrown away the key. No no, not I, I will survive, right down here on my knees."
--
They Might Be Giants

[This message was edited by Sol System on May 27, 1999.]

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Liam for that spelling correction. I should buy more Sex Pistol CDs.

As an ex-defender of Constitutional Rights. Burn all the Flags, we'll make more.

I don't particulary care if anyone burns a flag unless I'm wrapped in it.
If you couldn't burn the symbol of America in America, that would defy the whole 1st Admendmant. The Military is called upon to defend the Constitution, and that means flag burning is allowed. No matter what it symbolisizes.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there should be an amendment for it either. I think that's going quite overboard, for the reasons Sol delineates above.

However, I don't think that burning the flag constitutes free speech, either, not beyond the statement I made in the quote above. It's a statement of poor debate skills.

I think it should be reclassified to fall under the speech commonly considered as "Fighting words", or "You can say it, but don't be suprised if you get knocked on your ass for it."

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To use the Tianamen Square example, I don't think that all the people just stood around debating. The needed to show how upset they were. Burning a flag is one way of getting noticed. After you are noticed, you can then use your superb debating skills. But you need to get their attention first.

------------------
'His limbs flail about as if independent from his body!'
-Chandler Bing on Michael Flatley.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, not a very good one.

My immediate reaction when I see such behavioural examples is disgust and contempt.

Like I'm really going to pay serious unbiased attention to the merits of the point of view of someone who elicits those reactions in me.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps