Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Should I change my party affiliation? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Should I change my party affiliation?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I really hate the way that political parties have developed in America today. I think that national politics has become way too focused into an "us versus them" mentality, and we're not getting anything effective done in the government.

Here's the situation -- when I registered to vote four years ago when I turned 18, I registered as an independent. Although I find myself agreeing with many of the Democrats' policies (especially compared to the Republicans'), I've still never liked the Democratic Party itself.

However, the prospect of George W. Bush being elected for a second term as President of the United States leaves me feeling quite ill.

Therefore, with the upcoming primaries coming up in a few months, I'm wondering whether I should change my party affiliation so that I can vote in the primary, and contribute my own opinion concerning the Democratic candidates. After all, considering that they're the ones that I hope will get Dubya out of the White House next November, I should help choose the candidate.

The drawback, however, is that I've heard that both political party organizations end up pestering their members for campaign contributions quite frequently, once they're on the list. I recall my father getting quite a few calls when he was a registered Democrat. Does anyone have any experience to relate to me about that kind of thing? I'd like to know before I make the decision... I figure it would probably be worth it, in the end -- but I'm not sure what all the consequences might be. Information would be appreciated.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, join in political party in no way limits your ability to vote as an independent. It does however, as you point out, allow you more of a voice in the primary process whereby the candidate is chosen.

As for the second part, as a California Democrat, nobody has called me for donations. One might wonder if your father had donated money in the past and as a result got on a list or some other sort of thing.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The damned Republicans send me mail sometimes asking for money, and I didn't register with any sort of affiliation at all. I've never even voted.

My parents are Republicans, though, so maybe they found out the address was the same, or something.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Join the opposite party and become a fifth columnist.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Californian Democrat, even active with a Dem technology group and I've never been pestered for donations apart from the dinner "fee" (which is generally not much more than dinner might have been otherwise.) Maybe they realize that I have no money.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're screwed either way. We need a statesman, and Bush is the closest thing I've seen in a while. Which doesn't seem to be saying as much as I'd once hoped. None of the Democrats are any better, and third parties don't have a chance, as always. Nobody's gonna do anything all that different no matter who gets elected. Bush gets points for being an honest, decent human being, or at least looking like such for the most part. But that's not much at all.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statesman? Shrub? Okay, Americans keep your hands down. How many of you in here from other countries think GW is a statesman?

Oy, pull the other one, Omega. All I can say is that at least he didn't puke on the Japanese Prime Minister the way his dad did...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
Join the opposite party and become a fifth columnist.

Oh yeah, like THAT'S going to work. Are the Republicans even HOLDING any primaries this year? [Roll Eyes]

I will admit that none of the Democratic candidates has inspired me... yet. A few have caught my eye in one way or another over the past few months, although I haven't done any major research yet.

Despite my tendency to make jokes about him sometimes, I'll admit that he's not a BAD president, like some individuals in our country's past. He doesn't sit by and do exactly the opposite of what needs to be done and then sit on his hands and do nothing when that doesn't work -- like Herbert Hoover, for instance. He doesn't ignore the problem of sectional conflict and hope it goes away, like James Buchanan. However, from what little I know about economics, even I can see that Bush's policies for recovery are slanted far towards the rich end of the tax bracket, and aren't really going to do what he's been saying they're going to. His environmental policies are horrible and short-sighted. I have no trust at all in many of his cabinet officials -- when was the last time anything good was heard about Rumsfeld or Ashcroft, for instance? (Those two make me think "NightWatch" every time...) His actions and statements have embarrassed this country in the global community, and made irresponsible decisions that are very likely to be effecting our foreign policy for decades to come, regardless of when he leaves office. And his vice president? Dick Cheney scares me even more than Rumsfeld and Ashcroft put together!

No, there's no one, massive goof-up that I can point to and say, "This is why I think Bush is a bad president." I wasn't completely against the launch of the Iraq War. I realize that the scope and nature of the terrorist threat mandates responses that we're not really used to. But I do think that a lot of things in this country have been mishandled.

Do I think that the Democrats can do that much better of a job? No, not necessarily. But I can at least respect them a whole lot more than the buffoon we've got in Washington right now. And I think that any one of them can do a better job.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Statesman? Shrub? Okay, Americans keep your hands down. How many of you in here from other countries think GW is a statesman?

Not me.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bush gets points for being an honest, decent human being..."

How did I suddenly get into the bizarro universe?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'll admit that he's not a BAD president..."

And how did I join you there?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I take off my hat will I have a third eye????

State no party affiliation, which reminds me, IL didn't even ask.... I found something to like about this state.... Certainly not the drivers, lack of police on the roads, and several of the laws (making new ones instead of enforcing old ones).....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega liking George isn't crazy. But looking closely, THIS might be:

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Bush gets points for being an honest, decent human being, or at least looking like such for the most part. But that's not much at all.

Isn't that getting dangerously close to Omega criticising Mr Bush? That's more bizaro than anything else in the universe ever.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...I'll make myself the target of much scorn.

FIRST...I don't agree with EVERYTHING that Bush has done. From Environmental issues to Economics.

However, we are at WAR. Bush stated after 9-11 that it would be a LONG war and UNCONVENTIONAL. We are not fighting against a nation itent on conquest, but an IDEALISM intent on the destruction of anything related to the Western World or Judeo-Christendom. It's amazing that a large group of people are crying to "Stop the Hate" concerning gay rights but not for the devisive religious, or racial tirades that are occuring.

And before I get flamed... YES, the Crusades WERE WRONG, just as Jihad is WRONG. Government should neither establish nor prohibit religion. Its far too easy to stir up USEFUL IDIOTS in anger and selfrighteousness to commit attrocities in the name of God.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I support anti-American terrorism.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps