Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Should I change my party affiliation? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Should I change my party affiliation?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an odd statement.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite.

And as for my criticizing Bush, my statement was not intended to convey that. I simply wished to cover the possibility that he was not as he seemed to be. And I never said Bush was a statesman, simply that he was as close as I'd seen in a while. I won't be happy with a government until I'm running it, and Bush is no exception.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
feeling a touch mislead???? and you are misleading youself, Kaiser Omega....

Yes, that is an odd statement, but considering the source.... I shrug here....

How does one truly battle an idealism that has nothing but the complete and utter destruction of your way of life as it's goal????
You can't combat them, it gains enemies....
You can't give them aide, it gains enemies....
You can't ignore them, it gains enemies....
You can't reason with them, they are beyond that....

You are simply fucked and must do something, so you try all but the ignore part.... and it gain enemies....

Either by throwing you military or economic might around you are a bully or an arrogant fuck-wit...

We can not win, so we must kill you all.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How you battle it? You eliminate the socio-economic conditions that are a feeding ground for extremism.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which involves gobs of money well-spent. I think it would be terribly ironic if we actually had the stones to start building good schools all over Iraq and Afghanistan, thus preventing ignorance from being able to take root quite so easily. Ironic because we've been needing gobs of money for our schools for decades. *sigh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Money isn't a cure. If it was, then there shouldn't be any welfare recipients left in America. Unfortunately, the "system" only produces further generations of "needy".

What is needed is FORGIVENESS. AND, it needs to be TAUGHT from day one. Then Personal Responsibility 101. What happened to you might be somebody else's fault, but what YOU DO from there isn't.

Everyone has a tragedy in life. Everyone has had crap happen. But, it is very few that get back up and determine that it will not defeat them.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How does one truly battle an idealism that has nothing but the complete and utter destruction of your way of life as it's goal????"

You stop doing the shit that's pissing them off.

But, in our case, we just kept doing it with renewed vigor. And yet we still can't figure out why they hate us. Hm...

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say start throwing money at people. That doesn't work. I said start throwing money at educating people. Teaching them to think for themselves. Gives less opening for other people to think for them.

I don't have much respect for any religion that requires ignorance in order to thrive. Anything that doesn't welcome rational scrutiny is to be treated as suspect, in my opinion. One of the reasons I'm glad I was raised Episcopalian. They welcome free enquiry, examination of doctrine, questioning of beliefs... I think I came out of all that (with help from my parents' scientific-mindedness in the first place) with a pretty strong personality and moral compass.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You stop doing the shit that's pissing them off.

Like... breathing?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like fucking around in the Mid-East like we own the world.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, does that include aide to help out those that need it????

It isn't that we are over there that has them pissed off TSN, it is the fact that we exist and are not conforming to there way of life and their beliefs.... No options, we are to convert or die, not stay home or die....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no tolerance until nobody is wrong. And everything is acceptable. If there are no wrongs, then ALL behaviour is acceptable?

Politically Correct Math:

2 + 2 = 7 or 19 or well whatever you want it to be.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"It isn't that we are over there that has them pissed off TSN, it is the fact that we exist and are not conforming to there way of life and their beliefs.... No options, we are to convert or die, not stay home or die...."

If this were true, they'd be attacking every country that isn't Muslim. When was the last time you heard of al-Qaeda (or whoever) flying a plane into, say, Big Ben, or the Brandenburg Gate, or the Kremlin? It's the US they call "the Great Satan", not the entire non-Muslim world.

Now, granted, you're always going to have a few nujobs who will want to blow people up no matter what. But, if the US had never interfered with anything in the Mid-East, the WTC/Pentagon attacks, for one, never would have occured.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the fact is, it's going to take a LOOOOOOONG time before the situation gets tangibly better. And I don't just mean better as in "We blew up a terrorist cell", but better as in "We've eliminated a lot of the conditions that have caused people to want to become terrorists".

Look at the Ireland situation. How long has that been going on for? And that's a place that's far smaller, filled with people who are, apparently, closer to our mindset than those in the middle east. You can't expect to get the middle east to stop hating you tomorrow. You can't expect them to stop hating you for at least a decade, and unfortunatly (or not), that's way past election time.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps