Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush calls for new ammendment ... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Bush calls for new ammendment ...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on CNN, he wants a new ammendment to "defend marriage."

Fuck this piece of shit ass wipe from Texas. What the fuck is his problem that he's going around restricting people's freedoms? LAND OF THE FREE, mother fucker, ever heard of it? Well, its no thanks to you and your pathetic attempts to control people's lives.

Why is it so wrong for two people, who love each other, to make a commitment to each other? Oh, right, because some religious assholes think that their religion gives them the right to dictate to other people how to live their lives. Isn't that what Bin Laden thinks, too?

President George W. Bush - vote for him if you hate freedom.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem a bit stressed.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, just pissed at the freedom-hating asshole we have as a president.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, because you've probably violated the Patriot Act, you should sit by the door and wait for the visit from your friendly F.B.I.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we have to defend the world from the Axis of the Evil Agenda....

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/agenda.html

Funny thing, Jay, the police were at my workplace last week. They confiscated a hard drive I was previously using. They were also asking strange questions about me. You wonder?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered about you. [Smile]

Regarding the link, I particularly like the part where Dean disappears in a little puff of smoke.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no joke, Jay. The Police WERE at my workplace. They DID confiscate a hard drive I WAS using (which happened to contain an essay on Anti-Americanism, and how America brought 9-11 onto itself). And they DID ask questions about me.

Should I dissappear and end up in Guantanamo Bay, do not be surprised.

It's ironic however while Conservatives advertise on Government leaving its citizens alone, this is the one thing they go up in arms crying to their government about.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I rarely read Andrew Sullivan�s blog, but I read a piece that was linked from another blog I like, and well, a gay, fairly conservative person has to say this about the situation:

quote:
WAR IS DECLARED: The president launched a war today against the civil rights of gay citizens and their families. And just as importantly, he launched a war to defile the most sacred document in the land. Rather than allow the contentious and difficult issue of equal marriage rights to be fought over in the states, rather than let politics and the law take their course, rather than keep the Constitution out of the culture wars, this president wants to drag the very founding document into his re-election campaign. He is proposing to remove civil rights from one group of American citizens - and do so in the Constitution itself. The message could not be plainer: these citizens do not fully belong in America. Their relationships must be stigmatized in the very Constitution itself. The document that should be uniting the country will now be used to divide it, to single out a group of people for discrimination itself, and to do so for narrow electoral purposes. Not since the horrifying legacy of Constitutional racial discrimination in this country has such a goal been even thought of, let alone pursued. Those of us who supported this president in 2000, who have backed him whole-heartedly during the war, who have endured scorn from our peers as a result, who trusted that this president was indeed a uniter rather than a divider, now know the truth.

NO MORE PROFOUND AN ATTACK: This president wants our families denied civil protection and civil acknowledgment. He wants us stigmatized not just by a law, not just by his inability even to call us by name, not by his minions on the religious right. He wants us stigmatized in the very founding document of America. There can be no more profound attack on a minority in the United States - or on the promise of freedom that America represents. That very tactic is so shocking in its prejudice, so clear in its intent, so extreme in its implications that it leaves people of good will little lee-way. This president has now made the Republican party an emblem of exclusion and division and intolerance. Gay people will now regard it as their enemy for generations - and rightly so. I knew this was coming, but the way in which it has been delivered and the actual fact of its occurrence is so deeply depressing it is still hard to absorb. But the result is clear, at least for those who care about the Constitution and care about civil rights. We must oppose this extremism with everything we can muster. We must appeal to the fair-minded center of the country that balks at the hatred and fear that much of the religious right feeds on. We must prevent this graffiti from being written on a document every person in this country should be able to regard as their own. This struggle is hard but it is also easy. The president has made it easy. He's a simple man and he divides the world into friends and foes. He has now made a whole group of Americans - and their families and their friends - his enemy. We have no alternative but to defend ourselves and our families from this attack. And we will.

Andrew Sullivan

We now know the truth about Mr. Bush indeed. Thing is, we knew it before. Had the press performed any sort of due diligence in the 2000 election, let's just say the last couple of years might have been very different.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember! A vote for ANYONE ELSE is a vote against Bush.

Not that it matters. There will be some BS reason to suspend elections for Homeland Security reasons this time around.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Remember! A vote for ANYONE ELSE is a vote against Bush."

Well, actually, no. Not the way our election system is set up. If all of Bush's supporters vote for Bush, and all of his detractors divide up their votes among multiple candidates, Bush is more likely to win.

As sad a state as it is, the only candidate that can possibly beat Bush is the Democrat. If your primary goal is to get rid of Bush, then a vote for anyone other than the Democratic candidate is actually detrimental.

Now, on the main topic of the thread: The craziest thing about this theoretical amendment is that it isn't even proposed to ban gay marriage. What they plan to do is just make it so you can't call it a "marriage". They're trying to constitutionally define a particular word to mean a very small subset of its actual definition.

Fortunately, amendments to the Constitution are very difficult to accomplish. Unless an insane number of homophobes are elected to he federal and state legislatures this November, I'd be surprised if they can get the requisite two-thirds vote in Washington, much less three-quarters of the states.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a very simple argument that any sane person should accept: the Constitution of the United States is about limiting the powers of the government, not restricting the rights of the citizens.

Let's hope this latest idiotic idea goes the way of that flag-burning amendment.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Let's hope this latest idiotic idea goes the way of that flag-burning amendment.
Unfortunately, I don't think this thing has really gone away. It will be back soon.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Those of us who supported this president in 2000, who have backed him whole-heartedly during the war, who have endured scorn from our peers as a result, who trusted that this president was indeed a uniter rather than a divider, now know the truth."

That truth was out there a long time. Just how many members of the religious right are NOT homophobic, again? I mean, it was a foregone conclusion that Bush would do everything he could to obstruct the emancipation of gay citizens, so "those who backed him" for his illuminate stance on civil rights brought this on themselves. Too bad.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
It's no joke, Jay. The Police WERE at my workplace. They DID confiscate a hard drive I WAS using (which happened to contain an essay on Anti-Americanism, and how America brought 9-11 onto itself). And they DID ask questions about me.

Should I dissappear and end up in Guantanamo Bay, do not be surprised.

It's ironic however while Conservatives advertise on Government leaving its citizens alone, this is the one thing they go up in arms crying to their government about.

Well blame that on the Echelon network... Anyway - if you you got to Camp X-ray - we'll have two prisoners! [Smile] Beat THAT TrekBBS [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're trying to constitutionally define a particular word to mean a very small subset of its actual definition.

Well, those supporting the ammendment would claim that their definition IS the actual definition.

And since someone's going to insist on my stating my opinion, I really don't give a darn what the government does, and I don't see why gay couples would either. What does it matter to them if they can call living together a marriage or not? Titles are irrelevant.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps