Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Dead baby found in Middleton, IL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dead baby found in Middleton, IL
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The body was found in a yard, where the owners of the house thought it was a neighbor kids doll, and left it for a few days, till the weather warmed again anyway...

Now the police have created a list of all women in the area that are in their child bearing years, going to their homes and work places to demand DNA samples for all of them.

My nephew's wife's parents live across the street from the crime scene, and she was grilled about it, while still carrying her second now. They called her a lair that she didn't abort and throw the kid away, she's a big girl and you can't really tell she carrying, till they get a report from her doc.

I can see a lot of law suits against the police there getting underway, but I can also see them trying to cover themselves with new anti terror laws on taking these near draconian measures.

Your thoughts and opinoins on blanket DNA testing for a case like this???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

E. Keeler
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for E. Keeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think that blanket DNA testing is a bit intrusive but then again if you have nothi ng to hide then whats the problem...?

There have been a number of disturbances along the road me and my boyfriend live on- some of them were sex attacks, some fetish burglaries and general pervert like behaviour, the only descriptins given for the person are rather vague-so every male along the street has been questioned and asked if they would be willing to give DNA should the situation require it- in other words as soon as one of these attacks actually becomes rape.

In a case like this I really dont see the problem with blanket DNA testing.

--------------------
"Smooth as an Android's bottom...?"

E. Keeler
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for E. Keeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However I forgot to say that it was wrong for the police to accuse anybody of lying and specifically accusing a pregnant woman of aborting her child and throwing it away is just sick.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I do think that blanket DNA testing is a bit intrusive but then again if you have nothi ng to hide then whats the problem...?"

So, if you have nothing to hide, you should just go along with any measure, no matter how draconian or intrusive, to solve a crime (a horrific one, admittedly) you have nothing to do with?

You know what that leads to? A reversal of the "innocent until proven guilty" principle and the abolition of due process, aka YOUR RIGHTS as a suspect. THAT is the problem with blanket screening.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Cartman.

Why not have everyone fingerprinted and mug-shots taken of everyone as well?
Mabye everyone should carry travel papers stating your state-apporved reason for driving trough town?

The burden of proof MUST remain with the prosecution if our criminal justice system is to work at all.

Besides, as the states reviewing Death Row convictions can readily tell you, mistakes happen periodically with state's evidence and who's to oversee the honest use of your DNA sample?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

E. Keeler
Member # 1272

who's to oversee the honest use of any information you give about yourself, how many times have a company/bank/website given out your details to somebody else, and who's to say what is done with those reams of information-the the Ian Huntley case of recent news shows some of the majoe flaws in the data protection act.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What stops the government from down the track using your dna profile to determine what privalages you should receive? From letting employers use your DNA profile as another prerequisite for a job? From people planting evidence at crime scene as DNA evidence becomes the sole object of evidence? From people tracking your wear-abouts? From maybe even people cloning you against your wishes? These things aren't out of the realm of possibility. Then we may even get segregation of people based on their genes and maybe only allowing people of specific genetic profiles from conceiving babies? This does sound like science fiction - but it doesn't take long for science fiction to turn into science fact.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
70 years ago, the usual police response was to have a dragnet and round-up anybody looking remotely suspicious. After roughing them up, if nobody confessed, they would be let go and a new group rounded up. It tended to go along with the vagrancy laws.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we have a source on these "mandatory" DNA tests?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DaWoozle: "70 years ago, the usual police response was to have a dragnet and round-up anybody looking remotely suspicious."

70 years ago, fighter pilots could fly in war planes painted in a purple-pink giraffe pattern. They were also entitled to about two half-pints of hard liquor each day of battle.

Things were more fun 70 years ago.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you looked suspicious.....

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They were also entitled to about two half-pints of hard liquor each day of battle.

Now they just get uppers, much easier to carry.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say the police were trying to match DNA from a rape. They could ask all men in a town to voluntarily provide DNA samples. Of course, the real rapist or anyone else who had committed a similar crime would try to avoid giving a true sample. In addition, any one who didn't give a sample out of a fear of the government abusing its powers, such as Andrew and Cartman, would likely be considered a suspect as well. You can't win. Any attempt to exercise your civil right to privacy raises suspicions about you.

Doesn't the UK already have a DNA database of some kind? I thought I read once that anyone arrested for any offense is put into the database.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Doesn't the UK already have a DNA database of some kind? I thought I read once that anyone arrested for any offense is put into the database.

Yeah, we have a centralised database of all evidence such as DNA, fingerprints, etc from convicted criminals. This may be collected from any person who has been arested by the police according to the rules in the Police And Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) 1984. Any evidence of this type on those who haven't been convicted must be destroyed.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

And TPTB are in 100% compliance of this, right?

I guess the police have backed off a little, law suits scare a cash starved municipality....

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps