Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The DaVinci Code (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The DaVinci Code
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to start out by saying that Dan Brown's writing skills are, well, gosh, not that of what you might expect a NYT Bestselling author to be. I mean, my god, he stinks!

But the draw of the book isn't the prose, and if you've read The DaVinci Code, or the book Dan Brown took the research from, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", you know what I mean. If you're not familiar with it, "The DaVinci Code" can best be explained as likening it to "The Titanic" - the boat did sink, but most everything else was fiction. In "The DaVinci Code", a French cop and an American professor race to unravel mysterious clues that pop up following the murders of four members of a secret society tasked with guarding a secret which could undo modern Christianity.

I recently picked up "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" which was first published in the mid-1980's. It tells the tale of a secret society, the Prieure de Sion, the Templar Knights, and the reality of the Holy Grail - that it was not a cup which caught Christ's blood, but rather that it was a she - namely, Mary Magdelene, wife of Jesus Christ, and mother of his children - a bloodline which continues to this day.

Of course the book was blasted by Christians when it first came out, but what I wanted to pose as a question here was this: Assuming this theory is true, and that Christ didn't die on the cross, and that he did have children, how would this affect Christian faith? Is Christian faith founded solely on Christ's supposed death, or on his message?

Anyway, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" is a fascinating read, to Christians and non-Christians alike. Just the introductions to how the authors began their investigation is incredible, with a old tomb in the South of France with the mysterious inscription in Latin, "Begone! I Conceal the Secrets of God!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, IIRC, I've heard speculation that Mary Magdalene (sp?) was Jesus' wife...

Just wanted to throw that out there.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were married and she was pregnant before the crucifiction, whether J.C. died up there or not.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read it & quite enjoyed it. I've also read all of Dan Brown's other books (thanks to Mom, Amazon, & a wonderful sergeant who hauled the box out of property for me) & I'll agree a bit with the style critique. All his books use the same flow pattern: chracter intro, set up of backgorund, foreshadowing sentence of further events at the end of an early chapter, events 1-2-3-4, climax, resolution. And it all happens in the period of one day.

I enjoyed it for the sheer ability to help pound jail Christians to the floor.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
chracter intro, set up of backgorund, foreshadowing sentence of further events at the end of an early chapter, events 1-2-3-4, climax, resolution. And it all happens in the period of one day.

Sounds like a description of sex. Or, so I'm told.

Well, there's nothing in the Bible suggesting that Jesus was married.* Lots of women followed him around. Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazarus, were close friends of his as well. There's also nothing in the Jewish or Christian doctrines against being married and the later books of the Greek scriptures go into alot of detail about family life. Had Jesus actually been married, certainly the scriptures would have been plain about it, providing an excellent example of how a perfect man lead his family.

Christian faith is indeed tied to the death of Christ, the resurrection providing a basis for belief in the covenant arrangement Jesus established with his apostles and other annointed disciples that would follow. The message Jesus preached primarily had to do with the Kingdom. Since Christ was to rule in that Kingdom, the resurrection would proivide a basis for belief in that as well.

*Everything here following comes under the caveat of "This is what Aban believes based on his study of the Bible." Don't take it as the opening shots of a religious debate. Just my answer to Snay's question.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban,

And surely you're aware that the Catholic Church did more than its fair share of "edits" of what gospels went into the Bible? How do you know the Gospels provide a picture of what ACTUALLY went on when Christ was supposedly crucifixed, and not a picture of the values of the 3rd century Church?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gospel of John was in existence in the early second century. Most scholars agree that the gospels couldn't have been written after the end of the first century.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has to do with believing that God wouldn't allow fundamental errors to remain in a series of documents that He intended to act as both testimony and guide. I know not everyone believes that the Bible is an inspired book. But lots of people do. I was just answering your question, "Is Christian faith founded solely on Christ's supposed death, or on his message?"

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Omega,

I'm not saying that they were written later. What I am suggesting is that the Catholic Church may have destroyed certain gospels altogether, and perhaps edited those which remained.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's... conceivable that other gospels might have been wiped out, but just barely. If we're talking centuries after the fact, for anything to live that long there'd have to be lots and lots of copies. For ALL those copies to be destroyed, and there to be NO record of a concerted attempt to destroy them, would be quite a trick.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But less of a trick in ~200AD than it would be in ~2000AD.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hypothetically speaking, Cartman has a point.
Any group that could create a concerted attempt to destroy them all, would also be in a perfect position to eliminate any record of the attempt.
Afterall, who else would care about it the most?
Its not like some guy could write about it and then email to our century.

I mean 200AD, what neutral observer would even be in a position to create records that would last till today? Some random bureaucrat in China would have the ability, but not the caring...some guy attached to the Church wouldn't have the ability, even if they did care.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still not getting how Jesus having children means he didn't die on the cross. I've heard that theory, and always assumed, like Peregrinus, that if he was cruxified, he'd have had the kids before hand. Or at least got her pregent before he died. Like Goku! Who is he like in every single way.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of the PC game Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, a mystery adventure which also based its story/research around "Holy Blood, Holy Grail." Excellent game, by the way.

It also reminds me of a Christian polygamy cult in Arizona which believes they are the descendents of Jesus, and their men marry their 14 to 15-year-old cousins or nieces in order to keep the bloodline "pure." They only marry their first wives legally, and the rest are all "single moms" under the law and live on welfare.

But anyway, I probably will get around to reading this book since a friend recommended it. I'm the 8th person to put it on hold at my library though.

--------------------
life creation in progress

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*can this be deleted?*

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps