Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The DaVinci Code (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The DaVinci Code
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm the 8th person to put it on hold at my library though."

The book has been out for just over a year now, and there are still 18 people on the list at the library where I work. The book has never actually made it onto the shelves, because it's been on hold continuously. We even have eleven copies of it.

"What I am suggesting is that the Catholic Church may have destroyed certain gospels altogether, and perhaps edited those which remained."

Are you aware that some of the gospels that were left out of the bible are still around? The funny thing is that the Catholic church actually does believe in elements of those other documents, even though the documents themselves are considered apocryphal.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.
Gabriel Knight, haven't heard that name in a while, but it is one of the older games on my to-play list, which is comparable in size to my to-read list.

That polygamy cult sounds like something that Darwin will take care of naturally. *sniff* Its so heart-warming to see science in action.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natural and unnatural selection teaming up. Beautiful, isn't it? B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did just a little research on "canon" last night in the copius seconds of free time I have. Apparently, in the second century, writers and historians were already referring to "the scriptures" and "the gospels", as well as quoting from various epistles. Strong evidence that the inspired canon was already consider to be closed at that point.

There are definitely other documents out there from the same period that haven't made it into the Bible canon, but after John's death, the last of the apostles, and his contribution of the revelation and his three letters, it seems the collection of inspired works was considered complete by writers of the time.

Like I said, this was brief research. I'm sure there are other points to be made about the issue of canon.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but after John's death, the last of the apostles, and his contribution of the revelation and his three letters..."

Omega will probably argue about this, but I was taught that John the Apostle and John of Patmos were not the same guy. He would have been pretty damn old by the time he wrote about the Apocalypse, if he were one guy.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty old? Like Methuselah old?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I'm still not getting how Jesus having children means he didn't die on the cross. I've heard that theory, and always assumed, like Peregrinus, that if he was cruxified, he'd have had the kids before hand. Or at least got her pregent before he died. Like Goku! Who is he like in every single way.

Mabye one of the quashed gospels deals with Jesus becoming a giant were-monkey every full moon untill Judas "betrayed" him by cutting off his tail with an energy disk.....

Well, it's still not as crazy as Revalations. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Pretty old? Like Methuselah old?"

No. But at least in his 80s or so. Which would be more than significantly aged in that time period.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if he ate right and walked everywhere, he'd probably be healthier than your typical Roman serf, or even orgy-indulging official...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a choice between being aorgy-indulging official or a celibate preacher that can walk on water.....I know my choice.

Besides, I hate my dad. [Wink]

Poor Jesus: no chance to rebel or to escape his father's shadow.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Poor Jesus: no chance to rebel or to escape his father's shadow.

Well he did teach peace whereas his father smote everyone who didn't agree with him.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he smote everyone who didn't agree with him, you wouldn't be around to say it, now would you? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

He's done a lot less smiting ever since his kid put him in a retirement home.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN:
Now that was funny.
Of course, I'd be looking for a lightning rod right about now...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think God has already punished Tim by making him larger than most medium-sized towns. A lightning bolt would just be overkill.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps