Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Happy Loyalty Day (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Happy Loyalty Day
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
I didn't like Bill, er, Hillary, er which ever ran the damn country either.....

I just used Clinton as the opposite of Bush. Really, you could use any president since Eisenhower.

One of Clinton's proclamations:

quote:
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Immediate Release April 30, 1996
LOYALTY DAY, 1996
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

In his inaugural address, President John F. Kennedy said, "Since this country was founded, each generation of Americans has been summoned to give testimony to its national loyalty." The members of our Armed Forces have long responded to such a call, though their task has often been difficult and fraught with peril. Drawing on an abiding devotion to country, America's service men and women have faced loneliness and danger, grave injury and death, to protect our Nation's interests and to reach out to others by providing humanitarian assistance.

In pausing to honor all those who have dedicated their lives to our freedom, let us reflect on their deep commitment to the fundamental ideals of independence, justice, and equality -- the very foundations of our way of life -- and draw inspiration from their shining example. For more than 200 years, America's shores have embraced immigrants seeking opportunity, while our system of government has encouraged people around the world who struggle against tyranny and oppression. Following the brave men and women who wear our Nation's uniform, let us each do our part to strengthen this legacy and to ensure that future generations will enjoy and cherish the precious liberties we hold so dear.

To nurture loyalty to and love of country, the Congress, by Public Law 85-529, has designated May 1 of each year as "Loyalty Day." We spend this day in celebration of our Constitution and Bill of Rights, and we honor the extraordinary sacrifices made by the members of our Armed Forces throughout our Nation's proud history.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 1, 1996, as Loyalty Day. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities, including recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. I also call upon government officials to display the flag on all government buildings and grounds.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirtieth day of April, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and ninety-six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twentieth.

WILLIAM J. CLINTON

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bush-hating paranoid schizophrenics...
Wow, back only a second and the names go-a-flyin'.

To think, I almost missed it.

The name calling that is. It's fun at parties too.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was talking about you?
I'd thought that was addressed at Highay Hoss:
He's waaaay closer to ther definition than you, Jay.

...though you may be paranoid that everyone's talking about you.

Because we are.
Secretly.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I was just making a point. Not taking it too personally.

[Smile]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Really, you could use any president since Eisenhower."

But, of course, you used Clinton, because we all think he was TEH BESTEST PRESIDANT EVAR and we're all just Bush-hating paranoid schizophrenics anyway, right?

Bravo, First, you've set your highest standard of debating yet.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W. Bush wrote: "Through the USA Freedom Corps, my Administration is providing information about volunteer opportunities to Americans so they can give back to their communities and help their fellow citizens in need."

What do you mean by this, Bush? Volunteer to do what, becoming "Informants for Truth"? Like in, say, Cuba?
Hmm, vague.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"Really, you could use any president since Eisenhower."

But, of course, you used Clinton, because we all think he was TEH BESTEST PRESIDANT EVAR and we're all just Bush-hating paranoid schizophrenics anyway, right?

Bravo, First, you've set your highest standard of debating yet.

I dont hate the man, I just think someone else should hold the office of President.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I started to wonder if it was a BushCo thing when I found the 2001 version. Back then he was still seen mostly as a bumbling amateur rather than an "Orwellian nightmare," as someone put it. May 2001 would have around the time of that business with the crashed spyplane in China, I think.

I looked to see if there was a Clinton Loyalty Day proclomation, but the current White House website only had stuff from the current administration.

Marian

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...becoming 'Informants for Truth'? Like in, say, Cuba?"

What, like this guy?

Or was that the wrong sort of "truth"?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Air Force One fly over the street I was on on my way to lunch today. Had I known it was this close to Loyalty Day, I would have saluted or something.

The second part is a joke. The first part is not.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hadn't seen that one before. All I heard on the news was that they played Metallica on super-high volume for hours for the muslim prisoners, that sounded like enough of an atrocity.
And I don't mean that as a Metallica-joke, audio torture is against the law.

TSN, my idea of informant is the quiet neighbor that notes all details in overheard conversations from you and passes it on to higher level, in order to curry favor.

Last I heard, it is still the Order Of Things on Cuba; slip up just once and you go down, down, down, the ring of fire, the ring of fire, *wa-wawa-wawa-waaah-waaah-waaah*

Then Castro reaps brownie points by, out of bottomless mercy, NOT executing you, instead lessening the sentence to mere life in jail, with family visits about four hours per year. *ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR!!!

*translated from cuban

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew that wasn't what you meant. But the way you worded it presented a good excuse to post that article.
Nim
Member # 205

Yes. And your response gave me an excuse to clarify myself. :.)

Is it a mandatory tradition that every president must make at least one change or establish one thing that will last after he's gone?
Or is it merely out of prestige? Like Chris Plummer's speech in "The Insider"?

Mike Wallace: "In the real world, when you get to where I am, there are other considerations.
Lowell Bergman: Like what? Corporate responsibility? What, are we talking celebrity here?
Mike Wallace: I'm not talking celebrity, vanity, CBS. I'm talking about when you're nearer the end of your life than the beginning.
Now, what do you think you think about then? The future? In the future I'm going to do this? Become that? What future? No.
What you think is "How will I be regarded in the end?" After I'm gone. Now, along the way I suppose I made some minor impact.
I did Iran-Gate and the Ayatollah, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Saddam, Sadat, etcetera, etcetera. I showed them thieves in suits. I've spent a lifetime building all that.
But history only remembers most what you did last. And should that be fronting a segment that allowed a tobacco giant to crash this network? Does it give someone at my time of life pause? Yeah."

Granted, Bush isn't as old as Plummer but as a president he might be more exposed to the notion.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I saw Air Force One fly over the street I was on on my way to lunch today. Had I known it was this close to Loyalty Day, I would have saluted or something.

The second part is a joke. The first part is not.

I was invited to go to lunch with him here in Springfield.... I never even returned the call, I couldn't have kept my lunch down, if I were ever to even eat it....

Last time I got a call like that was for his dad, and that was a $100.00 a plate invite..... Like I'd pay.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May 1? And instituted in the 1930's? How appropriate. Let me check when May 1 became 'Labor Day' in many countries except USA, and I'll be back to you.

BTW, yes, last Saturday, May 1st was Labor Day here in Argentina. And a holiday, not less.

EDIT: I was right. It was proclaimed around the 1890's, with the years adopted in most countries except the US and Canada, and became a national holiday, too. Hmm.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps