Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Abu Ghraib As Fundraiser?

Author Topic: Abu Ghraib As Fundraiser?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, some on the right are all upset with John Kerry.

Who knew?

They appear to be angry that Mr. Kerry is using the abuse of Iraqi prisoners Abu Ghraib as an example of incompetence in the present administration.

Apparently, Mr. Kerry's campaign is asking like-minded people, those who also think the present administration is incompetent, and who think that the way the present administration handled the abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib is an example of that incompetence, to give some money to elect a new president.

Shocking!

quote:
Republicans accuse Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign of "politicizing" the Iraqi POW scandal to raise cash.

"The prison images from Baghdad are clearly disgusting, but it's harder to find words to describe those whose first instinct upon seeing them is to raise campaign cash with them," said RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie in a press release dated Sunday.

According to Gillespie, Kerry's campaign manager, Mary Beth Cahill, made fund-raising pitches over the weekend urging Kerry supporters to send money to the campaign as a way of showing support for Kerry's demand that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld resign.

What to say, what to say.

• I'd like to ask those on the right, all fulsome in their rage, to get back to me when their rage grows to encompass Mr. Bush's use of flag-drapped bodies being removed from Ground Zero to promote his political goals.

• Remember this?

-
    The use, by the Republican Party, of pictures of Mr. Bush on Air Force One on 9/11 for fund raising purposes?

Which, to be fair, the Democrats moaned about.

• And, then there is that old, "if you can do it, why can't I do it too," argument.

If it's ok for Mr. Bush and the Republican Party to use 9/11 - and they used actual images of flag-draped bodies - then why is it NOT ok for Mr. Kerry to point out that the abuse of Iraqi prisoners Abu Ghraib an example of incompetence in the present administration and ask for funds to facilitate it's removal?

• --------------------
    Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
    ~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
    ~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
    ~C. Montgomery Burns

Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just proves to me how the people who support Shrub (that's Dubya to you non-Texans [Big Grin] ) are a bunch of thin-skinned hypocritical bullies who can dish out the dirt but whine when they have to take some of their own; especially when its something documented by hard evidence.

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no. WE'RE being lousy bastards. YOU'RE being hypocrites.

See, it's the guy who complains FIRST, and then goes on to do what he complains about, who's a hypocrite.

The guy complaining about the actions taken by the hypocrite is just being a lousy bastard.

See, he's not complaining that you're doing what you're doing, he's complaining that you're doing what you're doing, AFTER you criticized him for doing what you knew full well you'd do in his place.

That's all.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're just a circle looking for logic aren't you.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I say let's keep Bush in office. Maybe next term, we can invade North Korea and get some commies to rape each other at gun point!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...he's complaining that you're doing what you're doing, AFTER you criticized him for doing what you knew full well you'd do in his place."

Bush used 9/11 (a national TRAGEDY) to STAY in office. Kerry is using the A-G scandal (a national DISGRACE) to REMOVE him FROM it. That's not doing "what you first criticized the other guy for doing", that's POLITICS. You know, that ever-recurring game in which administrations are either re-elected for performing well or booted out of the government for fucking up?

If I fling poop, the Republicans have long-range rapid-fire ARTILLERY CANNONS loaded with the stuff.

That's all.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"...he's complaining that you're doing what you're doing, AFTER you criticized him for doing what you knew full well you'd do in his place."

Bush used 9/11 (a national TRAGEDY) to STAY in office. Kerry is using the A-G scandal (a national DISGRACE) to REMOVE him FROM it.

What are you talking about?
"Stay in office"? Bush was in no danger of being removed.

This just shows that both sides are the total bastards they've always claimed the other side to be.

No suprise there.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read: to stay in office AFTER november '04. Unless you're saying the money from Bush's pitch went to some destination OTHER than the Republican campaign fund?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More like "he hopes to use 9/11 to stay in office".
He has'nt done anything yet.

Just a mis-communication.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about this wording: "He's using 9-11 in an attempt to stay in office."

Does that work better for you?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Good, now that all the language issues have been worked out....

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
How about this wording: "He's using 9-11 in an attempt to stay in office."

Does that work better for you?

well, duh.
That and the fact that we've got our armed forces spread all over the middle-east and a new CinC might blow things even worse (difficult as that might be to imagine).

...and that I STILL have yet to hear Kerry state any kind of plan for Iraq-at all!

AMan, I wish Kerry would come up wih something-anything- to justify my voting for him.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"AMan, I wish Kerry would come up wih something-anything- to justify my voting for him."

Well, he's better than Bush, and he's the only alternative. When you've got that, anything else is really just extra, anyway.

The fact is, you have two choices: Bush or Kerry. Four more years of Bush will send this country even farther downhill than the first four years have. So, why wouldn't you vote for Kerry?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"AMan, I wish Kerry would come up wih something-anything- to justify my voting for him."

Well, he's better than Bush, and he's the only alternative. When you've got that, anything else is really just extra, anyway.

The fact is, you have two choices: Bush or Kerry. Four more years of Bush will send this country even farther downhill than the first four years have. So, why wouldn't you vote for Kerry?

It actually happened here. The Liberal government upset the Ruling Conservatives last year, simply because, well, everyone hated the Conservatives.

The only problem is that the Liberal government made too many promises during the election, and that the Conservative Government deliberately made a deficit so as to "trap" the Libs. See, they knew they would be voted out of power very soon, and so they decided to find a way to make sure that the Liberal reign was short.

Now, due to the $6 billion deficit, the Liberals have to start breaking promises. And it ain't pretty. It has gotten so bad that the term "Fiberals" has come up to term the current government.

Mind you, I didn't vote Liberal, heck I didn't vote at all that election. It was really a choice between a loser government and a government set up to be a loser.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps