Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Blogging from Iraq (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Blogging from Iraq
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, his argument boils down to "terrorists did bad horrible things, so it's ok if we do some bad things too because, well, we're the good guys."

Even though it was written about the Wall Street Journal's James Taranto, the following works well here.

quote:
Does Taranto really believe that we should hold American soldiers to the same moral standards as terrorists -- that this is the best we can do? That we can win the war on terror without showing and proving to those who are suspicious of our power that we are a force for good in the world? That so long as no one apologizes for the hideous murder of Nick Berg, Americans need not feel remorse for the torture or ill-treament of Iraqis who, if U.S. officers who spoke to the Red Cross are to be believed, probably should not have been in Abu Ghraib in the first place? Isn't this what conservatives used to call "defining deviancy down?"

Nick Confessore, The American Prospect Online - TAPPED

And from the same TAPPED post...

I'm no fan of Lindsey Graham, but he said at least one thing right about this situation.

"When you are the good guys, you've got to act like the good guys."

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"When you are the good guys, you've got to act like the good guys."

Of course then you have to make the assumption that the US is the "good guy"

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"OH BURN OH BURN OH FUCK"

You forgot "OH SNAP".

"Reports conflict. I tend to give preference to the ones which don't automatically give credence to everything anybody says, as AI and the Red Cross do."

Well, I'm going by what the Red Cross says, which is:
"Certain CF military intelligence officers told the ICRC that in their estimate between 70% and 90% of the persons deprived of their liberty in Iraq had been arrested by mistake."

70-90% is a damned big number. Are you saying you think the MI guys were really that far off? That it was less like 70-90% and more like, e.g., 10-20%, or something?

"Please explain your definition of 'relevant' in a manner more coherent within this space-time continuum, and I'll be better able to respond."

Well, for one thing, something happening in the present day. You say that other crimes are being ignored in favor of the Abu Ghraib story and such. Those other crimes must be something happening at approximately the same time (or, at least, at the same time the Abu Ghraib story came out). Also, it ought to be something done by the US, or our allies. After all, it's not as much a big deal when the "bad guys" do bad things as when the "good guys" do bad things.

Why don't you just tell me what "other crimes" you had in mind when you made your original statement, and we'll see.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read Graham's bit ... WOW!

quote:
SEN. LINDSEY O. GRAHAM (R), GEORGIA: Thank you, Senator.

I think they've left, but just a few minutes ago there were some foreign military officers that came to the hearing and I would just want to say for the record that I'm very proud of the fact that our military command system, civilian and military, comes out in the open -- fast, hard questions -- has to appear before the public.

And you've documented, General Taguba, some failings.

I think we're failing the country ourselves up here a bit. I think we're overly politicizing this. This should be what binds us, not what tears us apart. I think Republicans and Democrats have a different view of a lot of things, but it seems to me that investigating a prison abuse scandal, when you say you're the good guy, should pull you together, not tear you apart. And I would just hope my colleagues can understand that when you say you're the good guys, you've got to act as the good guys.

General Taguba, how long have you been in uniform?

TAGUBA: Sir, this is my 32nd year.

GRAHAM: Saddam Hussein is in our control. How would you feel if we sick dogs on him tomorrow?

TAGUBA: Sir, on Saddam Hussein?

GRAHAM: Yes.

TAGUBA: Sir, we still have to follow the tenants of international law.

GRAHAM: As much as you and I dislike him, as mean a tyrant as he is and you know he'd kill us all tomorrow, I am so proud of you.

What are we fighting for, General Taguba, in Iraq? To be like Saddam Hussein? Is that what we're fighting for?

TAGUBA: No, sir.

GRAHAM: Our standard, General Smith, can never be to be like Saddam Hussein, can it be, sir?

SMITH: No, sir.

GRAHAM: How long have you been in the service?

SMITH: 34 years.

GRAHAM: Is it OK with you if the International Red Cross comes and looks at our prisons?

SMITH: Absolutely, sir, and they should.

GRAHAM: OK.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps