Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Al Gore has his say (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Al Gore has his say
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...Think of it: a split party ticket for the first term in....years.

Who know[s] when the last time was?

1797-1801
President - John Adams (Federalist)
Vice President - Thomas Jefferson (Democratic Republican)

I doubt the McCain thing will happen. Clark maybe, but not McCain.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Adams/Jefferson during the period when, as mentioned before, the runner-up in the presidential election became the VP?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason posted his second while I was looking for information on his first.

That may well be the case, but I'd have to look it up to confirm it.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I think about it, wasn't that the message VP Ben Kingsley tried to get through in "Dave"?
His being sent to Africa, where he couldn't disrupt the EvilPres' and Frank Langella's plans?

Totally Obscure Jay said: "maybe we should choose our president by deciding which candidate we
would prefer to eat barbecue with."

That has nothing to do with politics. Burgers and national security has nothing in common.

*explodes*

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If life were anything like the movie Dave, I'd feel really good about voting.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Then again, maybe we should choose our president by deciding which candidate we would prefer to eat barbecue with."

We already do. Because of idiots' coming up with polls like that.

"More voters also would trust Bush, 46-41, to run the family business. But voters were evenly split on whether they would rather have Kerry or Bush teach their children."

I think that that's indisputable proof that the people answering the poll questions were either lying, or utterly mentally imcompetent in every way.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't trust anyone who thinks that 87 people is a good number for a poll.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Nor would I. Fortunately for them, though, they used 1160 people.

Or were you being sassy?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's still a pretty small poll:
Where was this poll held nayway?
The pollsters could have been asking the residents of a large trailer park for all we know.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, like we say where I come from, "There's nayway if you're a naysay!".

Seriously, what was wrong with the system the first couple of presidents had, being both Democrat and Republican in one body?! I looked at americanpresidents.org and there were a lot of them hybrids for many years.
Now I don't think the presidents of those days were mutants carrying a big democrat manbaby in their gut, like in the Academy Award-nominated "Total Recall", so it must've worked like a nice marriage of views, no?

Couldn't you sort of go back to that, mend the fence, so to speak?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

No: the VP position as a title and a paycheck back then with zero responsibilities.
It was a joke and everyone knew it.

Today the VP's job is much more complex and involves issuing billion dollar contracts to companies he used to run.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

No, I meant that some presidents have had the affiliation "Democratic Republican" or "Republican Democrat", why was that merger possible in the 1700's/1800's and why is it not today?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe "Democratic Republican" was the name of the party, wasn't it?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, the parties do change once in a while. I think the two big parties back in the day were the Whigs and the Federalists. Or maybe the D-R and the Feds? Hmm...IIRC, it was the Civil War that thrust the Republicans into serious power.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Nim the Fanciful:
quote:
No, I meant that some presidents have had the affiliation "Democratic Republican" or "Republican Democrat", why was that merger possible in the 1700's/1800's and why is it not today?
Omega's right, it wasn't a merger. The Democratic Republicans were one early party, and the Whigs and Federalists were others. Then this third-party spoiler named Lincoln came along and upset everything (the Federalists were extinct at that point, IIRC). I'm not sure when the Democratic Republicans came to be known as just Democrats, but I think Lincoln's party was already known as (just) Republicans when he was elected.

Marian

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps