Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Something To Watch...Mr. Bush In An Irish T.V. Interview (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something To Watch...Mr. Bush In An Irish T.V. Interview
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With apologies to Harry Shearer for borrowing his phrase, here is something for your outside the bubble news pleasure

I guess it takes an Irish reporter to get in the face of Mr. Bush, ask him the tough questions, and not back down when he gives evasive answers.

It's interesting to see Mr. Bush get testy when the interviewer does not follow the lap-dog way of American reporters.

He keeps giving stock answers and when the reporter tries to follow-up, he stops her and tells her to let him finish.

It's a classic.

www.rte.ie/news/2004/0624/primetime/primetime56_1c.smil

On a related note, while watching some of former President Clinton's interview on Larry King, I turned to someone and mentioned that I wished that the current resident of the White House could extemporize as well as Mr. Clinton when answering Mr. King�s wide-ranging questions.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't his extemporizing what was found on Lewinsky's dress?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that was sperm.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got a transcript of the exchange with reporters: CNN kept airing the blurb of some reporter shrilly saying "No, the world is NOT a safer place" after Bush's stock answer about how it is.

I'd like to see the whole thing though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's interesting to see Mr. Bush get testy when the interviewer does not follow the lap-dog way of American reporters.

"He keeps giving stock answers and when the reporter tries to follow-up, he stops her and tells her to let him finish."

Did you notice the last time it happened, when they were talking about Palestine? She interrupted him and he stopped, looked at her like she was an idiot, then picked up in mid-sentence where he'd left off.

I don't know how it could be any more obvious that everything out of his mouth is pre-formulated. It's so rote that he can't even stop and insert a new idea into his train of thought (or lack thereof).

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that interrupting during a press conference is at all professional though.

I think she was just trying to make him pissed enough for her to get a sound byte: sorta worked.

Not as much fun as Chaney (reportedly) saying "Fuck You" on the senate floor. (caught but not re-aired by CSPAN).

Where's the FCC regulators when you need them. [Roll Eyes]
HOward Stern must be spinning in his grave.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I heard he said "go fuck yourself". But "fuck" was apparently in there someplace, anyway.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

And to think, I used to look up to him...
Oh, wait: I always thought he wasa shifty bastard.

Not related, but this should outrage anyone:
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/24/world/schmidt040624

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Apparently, that guy went to my high school. Of course, he graduated when I was two, but still...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"The policy of the White House is that you submit your questions in advance, so they had my questions for about three days."
-Carol Coleman, RTE.

Via Atrios

So now their all upset that she didn't follow the script.

quote:
Angry White House pulls RTE interview

THE White House has lodged a complaint with the Irish Embassy in Washington over RTE journalist Carole Coleman's interview with US President George Bush.

And it is believed the President's staff have now withdrawn from an exclusive interview which was to have been given to RTE this morning by First Lady Laura Bush.

It is understood that both RTE and the Department of Foreign Affairs were aware of the exclusive arrangement, scheduled for 11am today. However, when RTE put Ms Coleman's name forward as interviewer, they were told Mrs Bush would no longer be available.

The Irish Independent learned last night that the White House told Ms Coleman that she interrupted the president unnecessarily and was disrespectful.

She also received a call from the White House in which she was admonished for her tone.

And it emerged last night that presidential staff suggested to Ms Coleman as she went into the interview that she ask him a question on the outfit that Taoiseach Bertie Ahern wore to the G8 summit.

Irish Independent

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

If a reporter asks questions, all you have to do is get through the interview and then not let the reporter or the news agency come back.

The rest of the press will get the message loud and clear.

If only they would band together and not let the White House bully them, we might get someplace. What I mean by that is if a reporter asks tough, but fair questions, and then is shut out by the White House, the next reporter, from the same or from some other news agency, needs to ask the same kind of tough, but fair questions as well, because the White House can't shut out everyone.

The news agencies should also not back down if the reporter asks tough, but fair questions. If the White House shuts the reporter out, the news agencies should express confidence in that reporter and send he or she back the next time to show that they can not be intimidated.

Instead, what we get is the next reporter meekly coming to Mr. Bush as a suppliant, seeking what the White House gives out. In doing so, the let the White House control the process and act like they have all the power.

The press does this because reporters don't want to loose their position and they don't want to get in trouble with their news agency. But when they do this, they shirk their responsibility to ask tough, but fair questions of the administration to try and get the information the public needs, but which this administration try to hide.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Actually, I heard he said "go fuck yourself". But "fuck" was apparently in there someplace, anyway.

i heard he said "the fuck."

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

IT's actuallt kind of refreshing that he's not ducking the issue but rather has stated that "he Vermont senator is the kind of guy that will attack you one minute and act like your buddy the next".

While I dont think the Senate floor should be the place for nmae-calling, I'm glad to see a politician stand behind his remarks (for once I can agree with Chaney on something: he's IS fucko).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"...the White House can't shut out everyone."

Yeah? Try them.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Yeah, I know. Sad, isn't it.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps