Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Freedom Tower" - Grandeur? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Freedom Tower" - Grandeur?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some time I've been following the work on the Taipei 101 in Taiwan, the tallest building in the world yet.

Then yesterday, I heard that the first building block had been set in place at Ground Zero in New York, with a promise that this will be the tallest building in the world, eventually.

Then they said that it shall be called "Freedom Tower".

When was this decided? How much will it cost? Was this a local decision (NY-mayor) or did it come from the Bush Administration?
Isn't all this asking for trouble? I was quite satisfied when the plans just called for a large, fresh green park with some buildings on the far side and a large marble memorial or something in the middle. Kind of a nice complement to Central Park, I thought...

I wonder if the current "Freedom Project"-workers will suddenly start talking Sindarin, Minbari, Esperanto and Breen with eachother?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it is blown up in 2033, we can ask whether it was worth it or not.

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not funny.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But possibly real, and even earlier. This move is calling for another Al-Qaeda bite in the ass. Tall buildings being nice to see from below or above, and all.

This has been transformed from an hommage to the victims to a patriotism and arrogance show. I'm not surprised, though.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nothing really against building this thing, even if it's corniness is excessive. I actually think a ground-level memorial would be more appropriate, and less of a target, but I'm not on the council of architects or whatever.

--------------------
Meh

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am told that the majority of the cost of the tower was to be paid from insurance of the destroyed twin towers. I think it is the owners of the properties that are trying to build this tower, and not any governing body. Never once did I see any form of government figuring into construction of this building until today, and even so, I don't think any member of Bush's political team was there. It was all Pataki and Bloomberg.

That's one heck of an insurance payoff.

As for whether or not this is patriotism and arrogance, I'll reserve my judgement. At the very least, they are keeping the original footprints of the twin towers intact.

The only reason why they are building it that high is that the original specs for the building called for it to be 1776 feet (1776 being the year of American independence).

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There�s a certain phoniness to this kind of overt patriotism.

To me, this is about people trying to wrap themselves in the flag and be more patriotic than the rest of us.

As is calling it the �Freedom Towers.� Freedom from what? Freedom for whom? How does this name honor to the people who died in the WTC on 9/11?

As to the 1776 feet tall thing:

quote:
Independence Day speeches could not resist referring to the Freedom Tower as a 1,776-foot building, the main structure will reach only 1,500 feet � still quite a bit higher than the twin towers were � while the television antenna might approach 2,000 feet.

The New York Times

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
There�s a certain phoniness to this kind of overt patriotism.

To me, this is about people trying to wrap themselves in the flag and be more patriotic than the rest of us.

As is calling it the �Freedom Towers.� Freedom from what? Freedom for whom?

The "Fuck Al Queida Towers" would only work with New Yorkers and "world trade" is a touchy subject with thousands of americans that have had their jobs "traded" overseas in return for....well, nothing, really.

Mabye they plan on building the towers to resmble two giant french fries?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder where I will be when I hear the news this time.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A memorial park would have been nice, but it was never going to happen. The real estate is too valuable. And now it's going to be called the Freedom Tower. . . Ugh.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why you all think this is new. They announced it a while ago back in December.

Here's some more information about it.

A memorial park by itself may have been nice, but you already have Battery Park right down the street. As you wrote, 16 acres on an island is a major loss to real estate, so they compromised.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this mean that it was originally supposed to be called the "French Tower"?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jonas:
But possibly real, and even earlier. This move is calling for another Al-Qaeda bite in the ass. Tall buildings being nice to see from below or above, and all.

This has been transformed from an hommage to the victims to a patriotism and arrogance show. I'm not surprised, though.

Though it would certainly present a tempting target, would it really incite a strike that otherwise would not have happened somewhere else?
In addition, you may overestimating the ease with which a large building can be destroyed. A previous attack on the WTC (I think it was in 1993, sometime in the early-mid 90s) with a truckload of explosives failed to destroy, it and the method of airplane attack is not a very good one. In addition to the increased security, an airplane can easily be shot down before it gets a chance to crash.
As for the design, I think the tops are too slanty. [Smile]

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the plan was ever to destroy the towers; just hitting them both was surely statement enough. The WTC design even planned for a collision by an airliner, the problem was they based the contingency around the state of the art for about 1970, namely a Boeing 707. The planes that did hit were larger and carried more fuel. The initial blast stripped away the fireproofing from the girders, which then melted in the heat. Whole floors (originally put in in modular form) gave way, adding to the weight on the ones below. Result: a cascade effect. Al-Qaeda couldn't have aimed to do that if they'd tried.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave it to twenty-first century America to respond to terrorism by building itself a nice, new, shiny, biggest-in-the-world phallus.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps