Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Freedom Tower" - Grandeur? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Freedom Tower" - Grandeur?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good.
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original 1993 plot was to cause one tower to fall into the other; however, the terrorists had underestimated the strength of the twin towers, which were designed to withstand up to hurricane-force winds.

In the 9/11 plot, Osama bin Laden states on the video released a few years ago by the US government that his plan was that the top floors would collapse, and he did not expect the total destruction (or "success" as he called it) of the center.

Like it or not, any American icon can be a target, whether tall or short. Though the towers were 110 stories tall, the other target, the Pentagon, is only 5 stories tall.

As for the new "phallus" being built, it's more a half-hearted attempt, as you'll note that after the 70th floor or so, it'll just be open structure (by comparison, the Chrysler Building is 77 stories tall).

It's interesting to note that most people seem not to have a problem with the fact that they rebuilt the Pentagon, and people now work where 189 people (including 5 children on board the plane) lost their lives.

What makes one place where people died more sacred than another? When is it right to rebuild, and when is it not?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What makes one place where people died more sacred than another?

The media.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the amount of dead Americans.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
What makes one place where people died more sacred than another?

The media.
TH=he families of the survivors nad their remembering the fallen make the diffrence:
I just overheard (at an all-nught diner) two waitresses talking about one's upcoming vacation to tour France.
One asked the other "are you going to Normandy? That's a battle site right?".

Ug.

Food was good though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Survivor's nads.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sioreloaf an ugnaught diner wouldn't serve food palpable to humons?
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TH=he?

--------------------
Meh

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, was all for rebuilding on the site, provided that the footprints were protected. I had this idea of a more or less acute-pyramid-shaped structure (a la that building in San Francisco), taller than the towers at its center, and with open shafts where the towers stood. It would've contained the memory, and a helluva lot of office space. And, properly done, a structure like that would've taken a frickin' nuke to bring down.

But, alas, no real architects proposed anything of the sort, so far as I know. And of the many participants, I was surprised that the Freedom Tower won.

But, I figured that maybe it would grow on me eventually.

It hasn't. That's the most craptastic design ever. It fakes its height whereas the towers stood tall. It is one to try to fill the shoes of two. It is open and airy whereas the towers were skyscraping juggernauts. It radiates an air of artsy-fartsy-ness whereas the towers were bastions of strength.

But, oh well.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the towers were bastions of strength."

Well, 'til they, y'know, fell over...

Member # 239

KABLLOOOIE
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like the wind turbine thing in the upper lattice. That's kinda cool. I wonder if it will have some sort of Phalanx AA system installed to blend in with the architecture. Gargoyles w/ laser eyes, perhaps?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideally it will be the greenest damn building on the continent, but that is unlikely, I guess.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why green? For camo? Wouldn't that work better in the wild?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Green as in a healthy ecology.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps