Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Last presidential debate (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Last presidential debate
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's one theory on the wire.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, I could actually see the republicans using that nonsense as an excuse for his poor showing:
"He suffered SHOCKS in the name of National Security!"
...then Kerry would hve to say he was electrocuted in Cambodia orsomething...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pay Go!

The concept is so foreign to Mr. Bush, he doesn't even know the phrase.

At any rate, Mr. Kerry was much more positive about what he intends to do after being elected. Mr. Bush on the other hand had pretty much only one response, which was to go negative and attack Mr. Kerry.

Most of the debate went like this:

Mr. Kerry: And those are the three things I will do about the issue and why what Mr. Bush has been doing is not working.

Mr. Bush: The Senator forgot to mention that he is a tax-and-spend liberal from Taxachusetts.

It also struck me that when asked to talk about jobs, Mr. Bush steadfastly refused, preferring instead to talk about education and No Child Left Behind.

And I found it irritating when Mr. Bush said something coherent that he would often smile and give a little laugh as if he was surprised that he actually said something coherent. Moreover, many of these moments struck me as Mr. Bush acting like a very un-presidential 5-year-old with his 'look what I did, I deserve praise for doing something good' reactions.

I also this exchange was very telling:

quote:
Mr. Kerry Yes. When the president had an opportunity to capture or kill Osama bin Laden, he took his focus off of him, outsourced the job to Afghan warlords and Osama bin Laden escaped. Six months after he said Osama bin Laden must be caught dead or alive this president was asked, where's Osama bin Laden? And he said, "I don't know. I don't really think him about very much. I'm not that concerned." We need a president who stays deadly focused on the real war on terror.

Mr. Schieffer Mr. President.

Mr. Bush Gosh, I don't think I ever said I'm not worried about Osama bin Laden. That's kind of one of those exaggerations. Of course we're worried about Osama bin Laden. We're on the hunt after Osama bin Laden. We're using every asset at our disposal to get Osama bin Laden.

Problem for Mr. Bush is that he said that.

quote:
And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him.

- March 13, 2002

Final debate score:

Mr. Kerry: 3
Mr. Bush: 0

[ October 15, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Keith Olbermann has the boxing-style final score of the debate:

quote:
Points scoring: The Scorer's Table unenthusiastically reports this bout as going to Senator John Kerry by 12 rounds to 4, with 5 rounds even. On individual points, Senator Kerry is awarded a net total of 19 points, and President Bush a net of 2, having undermined his own effort with no less than eight points subtracted, three of them in a disastrous 12th Round in which the President had to be told time was up, answered a question with, in essence, 'all of the above,' and stumbled by inadvertently criticizing himself by claiming the borders of Texas were tighter than they'd been when he was Governor there. He also lost points for having twice invoked the 2000 election, and for once having given back at least a minute of time when the question hadn't really been answered.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For an alternative boxing-count score coming to almost an exact opposite conclusion, anyone can try this article. I really have nothing to say about the debate because I got exhausted hearing the same things over and over. (I didn't even finish this article.) It's all sounding like the grownups on Charlie Brown specials now.

Hope your move went well, Jay.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

We wanted to have new carpet installed before we moved furniture in. Needless to say, that did not happen. So now we still have quite a few things still in boxes waiting for the new carpet to arrive.

I am still computer free. And look to continue to be computer free for another few days.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps