Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Looks like we need a new Home Secretary... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Looks like we need a new Home Secretary...
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blunkett Resigns

Another one down...

More considered remarks will follow. Right now I'm just enjoying the moment.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you expect? I hear when Clinton was reelected, he also went through a massive overhaul of his staff too.

Over here, Martin has basically overhauled his staff so much that almost everyone now on his senior cabinet are people who I have never heard of.

Nothing new here.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically this is a victory for the right-wing press in the UK. . . but no-one else. Yes, the guy himself was so conservative he made Blair look like a member of the Labour Party, and his departure is no great loss for the nation. But what the Mail and the Telegraph have actually done is to fuck their preferred party, the Conservatives: after this, no-one in public office will ever be able to do a favour for anyone ever again, and why else would any Conservative want to be in power but to help themselves?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lee to a substantial extent. I disagreed with virtually all Blunkett's policies; what he did to get the Mail all worked up wasn't all that bad but it was the sort of thing that Labour used to have a go at the Tories for. I would also like to replace 'Conservative' in Lee's final sentence with 'politician'.

I'm looking forward to Cecil Parkinson, Shagger Norris and Boris coming out in support of Blunkett... [Big Grin]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
What do you expect? I hear when Clinton was reelected, he also went through a massive overhaul of his staff too.

Er, yeah, but Blair hasn't been reelected. Well, he has, but not recently.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

He won't be agin until next year. Not that I think it's a foregone conclusion or anything.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you never know. The Tories might...

Sorry, I can't even finish that sentence without laughing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to vote for them until 1. they fired Boris Johnson from the front bench who is the only charistmatic torie in existence (despite me not sharing most of his political views what he said about Liverpool was completely justified and since when was adultery a crime? We all know that the was the real reason he got fired;) and 2. I remembered what their European policy was.

Blunkett's tough policy on immigration was something I rather enjoyed but his anti-terror laws took things way too far, this is not the fear stricken US.

You know what the test immigrants have to take now is? They have to know how to claim benefits, how to take employers to tribunals for compensation, what their rights are under the HRA'98 (human rights act) (though this is really something WE should know - let alone immigrants) there is a section explaining our history and the major events but it won't be on the test so it's completely pointless. Let's teach immigrants how to scrounge off an overburdened welfare state - nice idea there Sir Bernard Crick.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

The Tories have a European policy?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and I thought you guys were talking about Bush....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Well, in a way we were...

Did you know this Fortier woman once described Michael Howard as attractive? I think she just has a thing for Home Secretaries. Charles had better look out!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Marauth:
what he said about Liverpool was completely justified

Just out of curiousity, how?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did he say about Liverpool?

..and for that matter, who in their right mind would name a place "Liverpool"?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

He said that everyone in Liverpool was a whining git (well, that was the gist of it anyway). Actually it wasn't even Boris who wrote that piece; he just stood by his decision to publish it.

I don't know why Liverpool is called Liverpool and don't really care. It's not exactly up there with names like Spittal in the Street or Wagga-Wagga, is it?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

It was shortly after a Liverpudlian in Iraq (David Kelly, I think) was captured by extremists. He was held captive for several days, with them threatening him constantly. And then they decapitated him and showed it on one of the Arab news channels.

There was a day of mourning in Liverpool. And the Specator (right-wing publication edited by said Boris Johnson) said that everyone in Liverpool was, as, Wraith put it, "a whining git". Which was possibly just a touch harsh, quite insensitive, and policitally a fucking stupid thing to do.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps