Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Looks like we need a new Home Secretary... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Looks like we need a new Home Secretary...
Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually he said that they were all obssesed with having something to be miserable over and it was not their business but the business of the family to be sad over the death. It's true, Britain is overjoyed when we have some catastrophe we can all cry over even though it couldn't be further from us. I never heard of Bigley till he was captured and wasn't to surprise/bothered when he was killed because it is now commonplace if you go to Iraq you're very likely to be captured and killed by extremists - it's a warzone; what the hell were they expecting?

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be decapitated and have it shown on television, I would assume.

I also question your definition of "commonplace". Unless you think that the family of people killed in car crashes over here shouldn't be surprised because such instances are "commonplace".

The Princess Diana sitaution was an example of the country being stupidly hysterical and showing forced mourning. The papers (and the people) were slagging her off the day before she was killed, and then the day after they (and the people) were proclaiming her to be a saint.

Ken Bigley was an ordinary man working over there who was captured by extremists. His messages/pleas home were shown on TV for all to see. His families messages to the terrorists and Blair were also broadcast. Not getting emotionally involved was not easy. Even after his death, the reaction was a subdued, respectful mourning, not the flag waving, glitzy, Elton John-soundtrack affair that was Diana's death.

Still, if you can't see the difference between being ordered for execution and having your head cut off, and being killed in a car crash because you weren't wearing your seat belt, I don't know what to tell you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignore

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the 'Liverpudlians are grief obsessed, whining gits' thing has been going on for years. Private Eye did a compilation of various articles that had appeared over the years (most of which had been in publications or by writers who had attacked Boris). Although curiously enough, several members of the City Council made similar comments recently and were applauded for 'telling the truth' about it.

I agree that Bigley's death was shocking, although not totally unexpected. The long build up, rumours of negotiation and a possible release, etc, all contributed to it not being a 'man killed in warzone' story.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

To be honest, I never noticed anything over the top about the reaction in Liverpool to Bigley's death. Flowers and the like, but not mass hysteria.

And it's hard to criticise them too much, since they generally refuse to buy the Sun, and that has to be worth points in anyone's book.

--------------------

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they are completely unintelligible though, I've had conversations with more intelligible cornershop owners.

It was apparently sparked off by a minute's silence across the whole city, they did something similar for Diana, I mean WTF does Diana have to do with Liverpool? She wouldn't have been seen, erm, alive there. Sure it's sad that an innocent guy got killed but what about the thousands of innocent Iraqis killed during the war? Are the fine inhabitants of Liverpool gonna have a minute's silence for every one of them? Or even just a silence for them collectively? No they weren't on TV begging for their lives so f' 'em. The hypocrisy is ridiculous.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, I didn't notice much about the death of Bigley anyway; I live in in a giant concrete typewriter at uni and cant't get radio without the aid of an irritatingly big set of aerials.

quote:
And it's hard to criticise them too much, since they generally refuse to buy the Sun, and that has to be worth points in anyone's book.

Quite right too!

quote:
Sure it's sad that an innocent guy got killed but what about the thousands of innocent Iraqis killed during the war?
Well, what about them? It was a war. Sure, it's regretable that people other than Saddam and co were killed but sometimes in war that happens. They weren't British, let alone Liverpudlian. Whay should the 'fine inhabitants' of Liverpool care as much about them?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I'm not getting the hypocricy at all. It's all very well being "yay boo sucks to our troops WE ARE INVADERS AND WHO SAYS WHO THE EVIL ONES ARE" rad to the core, but quite frankly, if there's a two week build up involving a bloke being tortured, and then beheaded, a city has the right to show some respect.

quote:
Originally posted by Marauth:
It was apparently sparked off by a minute's silence across the whole city, they did something similar for Diana, I mean WTF does Diana have to do with Liverpool?

Sorry, I've no idea what you're going on about there. The entire country did the over-the-top mourning thing for Diana, not just Liverpool.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
It was shortly after a Liverpudlian in Iraq (David Kelly, I think) was captured by extremists. He was held captive for several days, with them threatening him constantly. And then they decapitated him and showed it on one of the Arab news channels.

There was a day of mourning in Liverpool. And the Specator (right-wing publication edited by said Boris Johnson) said that everyone in Liverpool was, as, Wraith put it, "a whining git". Which was possibly just a touch harsh, quite insensitive, and policitally a fucking stupid thing to do.

Wow.
That's even more dickish than the politival nutjobs in this country.

Possibly a record.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Certainly up there with the Hillsborough disaster. There was an accident at Liverpool's football stadium (of the time), and a large number of people were crushed to death. Very sad. And the Sun decided the next day to run a story titled "Thieving Scousers", allegedly showing people running amoungst the dead bodies stealing their wallets. The story was later proven to be untrue, but to this day the Sun has a lower circulation in Liverpool than any other UK city. Which is a good thing.

--------------------

Marauth
Member # 1320

Was the Sun not the same fine publication that had the headline 'Gotcha' when the RN sunk that Argentinian ship in the Falklands war? Or was that the Daily Star it's before my time.

The point I was making about the hypocrisy of Liverpool is that we must indulge them mourning for one man who died in a warzone (I don't give a s**t how he died, he went into the middle of a wartorn country filled with islamic extremists who had already done this sort of thing) and yet any suggestion that we even acknowledge that it was wrong to let thousands of the natives die is met with rabid cries of 'it's war, this sort of thing happens!!! We're not the bad guys, we're liberating them!!!!' It's war, there are no 'good guys'.

P.S. I'm not some commie, anti-war student hippie; far from it, just don't like it when corrupt governments use war to disguise failing domestic policy and political discontent.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

quote:
Was the Sun not the same fine publication that had the headline 'Gotcha' when the RN sunk that Argentinian ship in the Falklands war?
Yep. ALthough that was kind of justified. And 'that Argentine ship' was the General Belgrano. The Sun is also responsible for such classics as 'Ship, Ship, hooray' when Harold Shipman died. Not to mention when Brian Clough died and the headline was 'Goodbye Big 'Ead'; unfortunately it was just below a story about a beheading in Iraq. The Sun's circulation is now at it's lowest level since 1974.

quote:
I'm not some commie, anti-war student hippie; far from it, just don't like it when corrupt governments use war to disguise failing domestic policy and political discontent.

Well, you're certainly coming across as one! I suspect that the level of grieving was exaggerated somewhat by the media (you may have noticed that they tend to do that). This government's record, on domestic or foreign affairs is so pisspoor that one little war hasn't exactly distracted much attention from it.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
The point I was making about the hypocrisy of Liverpool is that we must indulge them mourning for one man who died in a warzone (I don't give a s**t how he died, he went into the middle of a wartorn country filled with islamic extremists who had already done this sort of thing) and yet any suggestion that we even acknowledge that it was wrong to let thousands of the natives die is met with rabid cries of 'it's war, this sort of thing happens!!! We're not the bad guys, we're liberating them!!!!' It's war, there are no 'good guys'.
Well, the people of Liverpool were 100% behind the war in every way, and any mention of the large numbers of Iraqi deaths is met with fingers in the ears. That's why they all read the resolutely anti-War Mirror, and not the pro-War Sun. They are being ironic.

And I'm all for slagging off the American government, but not giving a sHIt sHIt sHIt that an ordinary bloke from Liverpool got his head cut off just because you don't like Bush makes as much sense as going to war against a country because terrorists from another country blew up one of your buildings.

And I mean no disrespect, but the "there are no good guys in war" attitude is a very first year political student opinion to have. It's all very well looking at and trying to understand other points of view, but there comes a point where you have to stamp your own idea of morality onto any given situation. Whether you think that the war itself was justified, you can't seriously claim that Bush is just as "evil" as Saddam. Misguided, yes. An idiot, certainly. But on the whole, a better choice.

(Not that that gives him the right to impose his will on another country, but we're already down that road and it's too late to do a U-turn).

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Also, the overwhelming majority of civilian deaths in Iraq have not been cold blooded, premeditated murders.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one shouldn't just dismiss town- or countrywide mourning/outrage as sycophantic hypocrisy and summarily despise the people involved.

There may be some hypocrites among the people in question, like flag salesmen and politicians looking for a cause, but the phenomenon of large crowds feeling sympathy for a person they 24 hours earlier were seemingly unattached to is much more complicated than just being explained with "they're joining up in the hopes that others who started acting that way will accept them in the club". I think it is a built-in mechanism and it has a meaning.

I guess it falls under sociology and/or anthropology (what's the difference???), but I haven't studied enough of either to write a fucking article about it.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps