Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » One Screwed Up Man. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: One Screwed Up Man.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050126/ap_on_re_us/train_derail

Really, if you're gonna kill yourself, just don't take anyone else with you.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowardice and studpity set off a wave of heroism and selflessness.

I'm quite sure he'll be dead soon enough. If he doesn't get the whole suicide thing right before his trial, his prison stay will likely introduce him to a shiv before too long.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And death....dont forget death.

Really, a rusty shiv is all this guy deserves.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because thats the kind of thinking that will improve the human race...
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not thinking this guy deserves death, but someone's going to have to put up with "Hey aren't you that kid whose dad tried to kill himself but wound up killing all those people on the trains instead?" If that's not asking for a cycle of destruction, I don't know what is.

Also, forgive my morbid curiosity, but I kind want to know what kind of SUV it was.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I woke up to this today... not a good day to start the day. I called my friend since she takes Metrolink from Moorpark to Union Station... she wasn't on the train thank god.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From this Associated Press story:

quote:
Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley said prosecutors filed charges late Wednesday for 10 counts of murder with "special circumstances" of committing murder through a train derailment. Cooley stressed however that the case were still being evaulated. Under state law, special circumstances allegations could make a defendant eligible for the death penalty.
And for Balaam's curiosity file:

quote:
Alvarez, 25, got out of his green Jeep Cherokee....

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The story's been all over NPR, and talk of the death penalty has been thrown around. Given his reason for being on the tracks, he should have no objection.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
Because thats the kind of thinking that will improve the human race...

Exactly: this moron destroyed dozens of lives with his stupidity.
Think about it: dozens in critical condition, at least eleven dead (so far) and still dozens more injured.

And for what? He was not really going to kill himself- he'd changed his mind but instead of driving his car off the tracks, he just walked away....
Either he's a complete moron or he wanted the train to derail for kicks.

He deserves at least life in prison....so he can think on what he did.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Either he's a complete moron or he wanted the train to derail for kicks.

Or he's increadibly unstable. alot of people who attempt suicide arn't exactly thinking rationally at the time. Unfortunatly, we don't know enough about the mind to really help people...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So us taxpayers will feed and house his forevermore....

Imagine what this is doing to his own kid (aside from all the families with dead/injured family members).

Gonna be some therapy sessions in his future for certain.

I've personally only met two kinds of people that attaempt suicide: some that really do attempt to end their lives and some that do outlandishly stupid things to make others feel sorry for them.

I cant say which category this guy falls into from a news report though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending upon how close the train was when he changed his mind, if he had turned the car off, he may have had enough time to get away on foot, but not enough time to start the car and drive away.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
So us taxpayers will feed and house his forevermore....

I'm certanly not saying the present system is perfect. But I'm sure that if you were ever extreamly unstable you wouldn't mind a little 'help' from it.

I guess its like an insurrance policy. You pay into it, but you hope like hell you never have to collect

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Actually, it's never occured to me that I may go nuts, get a lot of people killed and go to jail...

Okay, that's not precisely true:

It's never occured to me that I may go nuts, get a lot of innocent people killed and go to jail...not when there's snipers on rooftops anyway.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Hell you never know
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps