Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » UFO's: Seeing is Believing (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: UFO's: Seeing is Believing
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take Roy Schnoider over a squinting crybaby with a brother named Sinjin anytime.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't he kill himself?

Not rascally Roy Scheider, the Airwolf guy.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I can understand that someone sees something in the sky they don't immediately recognize. But how the hell does that mean they're alien spacecraft?

If there really were aliens around, I'm sure it would be pretty damn obvious. Like, you know, a 24 hour broadcast by Fox saying "OMFG ALIENS!". And the Sun coming out with the headlines like "VICTORIA BECKHAM TALKS WITH ALIENS IN THE NUDE".

And of course there are aliens somewhere. It's just utterly unlikely we'll ever meet them. And if we meet them, I'm sure it will be something more exciting than a blob of light in the sky.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be as exciting as a medical conference in Helsinki, with some suits going up in orbit and negotiating with the envoy about traficking-lanes in the system, fiscal responsibilities re: Mars and the moon and then maybe in ten years they'll get back to us when envoy-b0i gets home.

Jason: What, Jan-Michael The Vincent? Never, he's from Colorado. Unless he's built his own plane and will go coast-cruising.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah: I was thinking of the guy from BSG 1980 and Farscape.
Kinda the same vibe there but JMV had less dramatic range than the dead guy (still does).

Really, the only reason I dont think the UFO/abduction thing deserves more credence is that the accounts of aliens is waaaaay too simmular to us for plausability: the same numbers of arms, legs eyes etc make ir unreal.

That's not to say that I can watch Communinon with the lights off.
No way man: tah's some scary shit, there.

Seriously.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's the old "To Serve Man" theme from an OLD OLD either Outer Limits or Twilight Zone.

Aliens leave a book. Title is translated "To Serve Man". SuperIQ Dude scientist boards UFO to communicate with friendly aliens. Door shuts and UFO takes off. Man gets final communication from ground that the book is actually a recipe.

***Couldn't resist side joke***

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One looks at the other and asks: "Does this taste funny to you?"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, with the number of people who spell it that way, I would have thought by now that I would have met someone who actually says "sim-yoo-lar". Yet, no.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean MORE people spell it "simmular"!?! That's scary. Similar. Similarity. etc. Simmular sounds like some sort of simulation.
Nim
Member # 205

TSN, I think that's because of the translation factor.
I had a friend back in the early 90's who introduced me to Dune II, the sassy strategy game.
While he was talking about it he mentioned the unit called "stage tank", which got me interested. Was it like a combined missile/cannon platform that could attack with different weapons depending on the range of the enemy? Or did it have two-stage rockets?

All those questions were laid to rest when we had gotten far enough in the game to build that tank, where I saw that it was called "Siege Tank".
My friend's brain simply locked out the "Sieg"-part because he didn't understand it. I talked to him for a while about Stalingrad and Poland in 1939-42 and after some soft weeping and loss of innocence, he was ready to learn what a siege tank meant.

He also called the Command&Conquer "Orca" attack-chopper "okra".

So while you don't hear people say "simmular" with a "u", you can bet that some of them are thinking it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I axe you all you get back on topic. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed it was the same language quirk that causes some Americans to say "Nucular".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps there are aliens on this very board... [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I assumed it was the same language quirk that causes some Americans to say "Nucular".

Or the English to say "Bob's your uncle".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cram it, poindexter.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Up yer shaft, wanker.

So Liam, ever seen anything not easily explained in the night sky?

There is that whole UFO incident at the joint US/British NATO base in the early 1980's that seems to have been taken seriously at the time...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps