Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Sexual predators! Oh my! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sexual predators! Oh my!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I've started a thread over here for, well, ever, but this is one of those stories that's funny until you realise that these people are running the country.

Those wacky Republicans

The basic gist of this story is that the Republicans wanted to create a law saying that it would be illegal for a non-guardian to transport a minor across state lines for the purposes of an abortion. The Democrats then wanted to pass some ammendments along the lines of "it doesn't apply to taxi drivers", or "this doesn't apply to grandparents". The Republicans shot down this obviously crazy talk, and then ever so slightly rewrote what was originally proposed.

For example, one of the original proposals was:
quote:
A Nadler amendment to exempt a grandparent or adult sibling from the criminal and civil provisions in the bill (no 12-19)
This was ever so slightly changed to:
quote:
Mr. Nadler offered an amendment that would have exempted sexual predators from prosecution under the bill if they were grandparents or adult siblings of a minor. By a roll call vote of 12 yeas to 19 nays, the amendment was defeated.
They're all like this. Every ammendment has had the words "sexual predators" stuck in. It's just so blatant and childish and pathetic that it's funny, until you realise that these people are running the most powerful country in the world. And then you cry yourself to sleep at night.

(I miss Rob's insights into stuff like this.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't.

("Sexual predator" is the best euphemism for "student" ever.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot the sarcastic remarks around "insights". We haven't even got Omega to rely on any more for crazy talk.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll run the risk of "spanking" the proverbial "gimp" and ask, where does that saying come from? "The lions, the tigers, the bears, oh my"?
I remember hearing it from Gary Busey in a movie, where does it come from? I...I hate it.

As for my post breaking file, Busey did say it in "Predator 2" no less, so I'm technically in the clear.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wizard of Oz (1939)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All part of the Republican's agenda to make all abortions logistically impossible.

Ten bucks says that any parent actually helping their child get an abortion would be declared "unfit" by HRS.

Man, even if there are two democrat presidents after Bush, there's no way they'll be able to un-fuck our country.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if an 19 year old knocks up your 12 year old daughter and transports her across state lines for an abortion without you knowing about either events, that is OK?

What they are aiming at is preventing some FemiNazis Activist School Nurse from taking your daughter from school and getting her little "problem" fixed without you having any say or knowledge of the matter. That would also be the Social Agent who would have handed her condoms a few months earlier telling her that she would be "protected" even though there is a 10% failure rate. Never mind the psychological implications that will ensue later of having killed your unborn kid. Who deals with the guilt? Certainly not the Nurse. Who will get blamed by the psychologists? Oh, yeah....its the parents' fault.

I also certainly wouldn't want any child of mine calling up any of my wacko relatives for "advice" and "help". And then who validates who "Uncle Chester" really is? People talk about choice, but the moment a woman spreads her legs she HAS made her choice.

A parent has the right to know what a minor is doing or is having done to them. Afterall, the state will hold them responsible if the kid is out vandalizing property or skipping school.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Someone seriously using "FemiNazis Activist School Nurse". Wonders will never cease.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
So, if an 19 year old knocks up your 12 year old daughter and transports her across state lines for an abortion without you knowing about either events, that is OK?

No. Likewise, if Ghandi comes back from the dead and impregnates yoro 5 year old son who then gives birth to an army of mutated goldfish , that is also not okay. It's also as relevent as your point.

I wasn't talking about whether the law is right or not. I was talking about the fact that the Republicans, completely off their own back, stuck the word "sexual predators" in the middle of a proposal simply because they didn't like it. That's childish at best, and grossely irresponsible at worst.

(In any event, while your family may be "parents good, other relatives wacko", there are more than enough other families where the reverse is true.)

(Also, no-one has ever claimed in the history of all time that condoms have a 100% success rate. They put it on the packet, for pete's sake.)

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Republicans in my own state have proposed a new law calling for new standards of cleanliness in all abortion clinics- under pain of their being immeadeately closed down.

These new standards sound smart....untill you find out that the standards are higher than in a hospital and that a clinic can be closed for up to 48 hours for a "unannounced inspection" of the premises.

So...are they truly cleanliness freaks or is it possibly harassment on Governor Bush's part to show his contributors in the Moral Majority which side he's on?

These new "cleanliness safety sandards" (strangely enough) dont apply to anything except abortion clinics.

I find it so ironic that most of the "concerned parents" so outraged that a minor could have an abortion, likely dont know any of their kids friends' names or even the names of their teachers.

...and no, a woman does not choose to become pregnant "the moment a woman spreads her legs".

What a numb-fuck thing to say.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

...and no, a woman does not choose to become pregnant "the moment a woman spreads her legs".

NO, what I was saying is that she choosed the POTENTIAL to end up pregnant. It's a possible consequence of an action. If you go driving down the highway doing 90 mph, you MIGHT get pulled over for speeding, another consequence of a risky choice.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
[QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about whether the law is right or not. I was talking about the fact that the Republicans, completely off their own back, stuck the word "sexual predators" in the middle of a proposal simply because they didn't like it. That's childish at best, and grossely irresponsible at worst.

I agree with that sentiment. What irritates me is that social agendas on both sides have become more important than the society these elected officials are supposed to represent. It seems that this generation's whole "In YO Face" attitude has eroded most of the sensibilities of ALL sides. Makes you wonder how God can STILL not drop the big asteroid on this planet and start over.

--------------------

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Wow. Someone seriously using "FemiNazis Activist School Nurse". Wonders will never cease.

You didn't have the freaking "Little Dutch Boy" school nurse I had my freshman and sophomore years. She would've made Stalin AND Hitler cower. (And not just because she hated anyone who was, in HER words "Cursed with a Y chromosome")

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
If you go driving down the highway doing 90 mph, you MIGHT get pulled over for speeding, another consequence of a risky choice.

And if you walk out of your house you might get stabbed to death by an angry clown. What's your point? That because sex is only about pregnencies in the eyes of normal people that anyone who gets pregnent as a result of having sex deserved it?

--------------------

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

What I'm saying is if you play with fire, you WILL eventually get burned. So if you are UNPREPARED to get burned. DON'T PLAY WITH FIRE.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps