Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » American Fascism (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: American Fascism
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that the US would presently be defined as a fascist state, but we certainly seem to be heading that direction. This was scary:

It's called: "do you disagree?"

Are you now or have you ever been?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would have to disgree with the assertion that the government controls the media. They don't. The media willingly (and, in some cases, more than happily) cater to the desires of the government. But the government doesn't actually forcibly control them.

How long that will last, though, is anyone's guess. The government already actively manipulates the media, after all...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not say the military is in charge /holds dominance either.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's scary. 13 out of 14. It's a wonder how the world's symbol for freedom can become the complete antithesis in such a short period.

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? It's more like 3-4 out of 14...

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, in my opinion, it's all true, except for the media being controlled by the state. Well, from an outsider's perspective, that is.

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The comment about the military was not that they hold power or dominance, but rather that they are given disproportionate funds even in times of domestic crisis, which does fit at the moment.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant agree: it's a war (declared or otherwise)- of course the military has more funding.

A greater indicator that things are going downhill would be prisoners held without trial for indefinite sentences and some forms of torture being considered acceptable.

All of which is a product of Bush's administration.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bones McCoy:
It's a wonder how the world's symbol for freedom can become the complete antithesis in such a short period.

Wow. Is that really how you see yourselves?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I actually see myself a cheeseburger. A delicious, double-patty cheeseburger with two slices of cheddar cheese, one slice of Swiss cheese, two tomato slices, lots of onions, a couple leaves of lettuce, a handful of pickles, a handful of jalape�o peppers, and (why the hell not?) three slices of crispy bacon. On a slightly toasted whole wheat bun, of course.

I AM DELICIOUS!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a carrot, but I'm also not American. Here's the original article:
Fascism Anyone?

If you read it, it gives a better perspective due to the lack of flags etc in the background. Still, it is hard not to draw parellels with the US government, not the country.

Of course, I reckon Tony Blair has (not so) secret aspirations to put on a black uniform and knee high boots... [Wink]

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'll be the first to speak of BUsh's excesses but it's still the government the majority voted for.

Meanwhile the EU leadership seems hellbent on pushing through it's (rather unpopular) constitution.

Mabye not fascist exactly, but definitely not in touch with what the people want either.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, except, what the majority wants (or doesn't want) does not determine wether a state meets the criteria for fascism.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...it's still the government the majority voted for."

Well, the majority of those who actually voted. And even that can be disputed.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would argue that, barring those actively kept away from the polls, the desires of people who don't vote are irrelevant. (Well, not totally. Voting isn't the only way, perhaps not even the most important way, to participate in the general business of making culture; you could say that someone who doesn't vote can influence, perhaps profoundly influence, someone who does. For instance, the effect having children can have on one's general outlook on life. But I'm going to stick with my gross oversimplification on account of it containing a truth, even if it does not fully describe it.)
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps