Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » American Fascism (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: American Fascism
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You stretch things out far too long. I mean, seriously, has anyone actually bothered to read his posts? And do you think that taking the time to write all that is going to change anyone's mind, or political stance even one iota?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, but what post couldn't that criticism be applied to?
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just needs to be said from time to time.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
Jason, forgive me, but it's been a long time since I read the Fantastic Four. (And it's still 5 weeks until the movie comes out.) Could you explain the metaphor?

Reed's the smartest guy in the Marvel universe, but sometimes uses three words istead of one to convey a point.

I do read your posts though- and Cartman's replies. [Wink]

I also look forward to more on-topic remarks from that new firebrand Wagner Vieira.

What? ...oh.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: if being that smart means I get to date and marry Jessica Alba, there are worse fates. Thanks for reading. Probably haven't changed any minds, but I've learned from you all. And it is the Flameboard where we come for "frank exchanges of views."

Lee: Part of what makes them long is that I write on Word before pasting to the reply field. Easier to edit. And fewer mistakes. I'll make efforts to shorten them. But I also hate having to go back and clean up when things aren't explained the first time.

Yeah, we going to hear back from this guy? [Wink]

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I cant agree: it's a war (declared or otherwise)- of course the military has more funding.

And for the past decade, when there hasn't been a war (declared or otherwise)? Anyone got a "military expenditure by GNP" graph handy?

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Well, but what post couldn't that criticism be applied to?

We seem to have worn down Omega over the years...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our task is not complete untill Omega's a regular at Vegas, call-girls know him by name and liquor stores keep his credit card number on file for call-in service.

Only then complete will his training be.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys. Think about this. If Hitler had been voted in a fair and free election (as fair and as free as elections can be), then proceeded to do his business in Poland and Western Europe, but THEN, 4 years later, let's say, was removed by a fair and free election, who would be responsible for his atrocities?

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Displaying flags everywhere is fascist? I always considered it a sign of patriotism and pride. I've never been to the UK, but they also seem proud of their flag as well.

There's a good reason why the military is getting more funding. Aside from the obvious reason of having to build new tanks, jeeps, jets, helocopters, etc...especially to replace the ones that have been lost since this whole ordeal started.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Displaying flags everywhere is fascist? I always considered it a sign of patriotism and pride. I've never been to the UK, but they also seem proud of their flag as well."

Have you ever seen UK politicians wearing little Union Jack pins on their clothes at all times?

Displaying flags when and where appropriate is patriotic. Displaying flags everywhere is nationalism of a borderline dangerous variety.

Lee
Member # 393

Actually, there's been an explosion in the flying of St. George's Crosses in recent years, and it's often tied to far-right oganisations like the British National Party.

--------------------

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And aren't the BNP nationalists of a dangerous variety? Most of their prominent membership have criminal records. Even the tories, who've been trying to recapture the image of being right wing ever since the orange-faced twonk Robert Kilroy Silk opened his mouth again have denounced them as bunch of thugs masquerading as a political party.

The difference between flag flying in the UK and especially England compared to America is that we don't have the Union Flag over a single school, very few private buildings ever have even a small Union Flag or St. George's Cross. I've seen more Indian flags being displayed in this country than I have St. George's Cross.

Maybe in Wales and Scotland people are a bit more patriotic with the St. Andrews Saltire and that dragon flag the welsh have (dunno what the flag's called) but I've never been to, or seen much of either part of the country so I can't comment on their local patriotism compared to in England.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Internet says it's called "Y Ddraig Goch", which apparently means "the red dragon".
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A Lovecraftian word if I ever heard one.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most words in the Gallic and Brithonic languages sound like Lovecraftian entities with too many tentacles that want to destroy mankind.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps