Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Miers withdraws her name for Supreme Court nomination (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Miers withdraws her name for Supreme Court nomination
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miers withdraws her name for Supreme Court nomination. Source: take your pick.

Whatever viewpoint you have of Miers, Bush, or whatever, this should get even more interesting.

B.J.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One can only wonder who will be next.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the twins can jobshare.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the nomination failed because it did not sufficiently please conservatives.

So, the next person will most likely be a very, very conservative person.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe. I mean, from what my very amateur news-watching suggested, Miers was insufficiently conservative not so much because of her positions but because she didn't have any positions. So the bar, as it were, isn't set at "to the right of Miers," but just "somewhere to the right."

Not that I'm presenting this as a reason to be optimistic.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Well, the right-wing wants another Scalia or Thomas.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sure. I'm just saying that that's sort of. . . I mean, just that Miers isn't really the issue. I guess?

Also, there's a case to be made for Bush taking the (slightly) moderate road since, while this nominee was rejected by the far right, current approval ratings are way down and choosing a nominee that could sail through Congress with relative ease would conserve capital, as they say.

Again, not that I'm saying that that will be the case.

All things considered, I'd rather have a justice who demonstrated basic competancy and differed from me ideologically (in known ways) than one without a history, or even who was more on my side, as it were, but with no more qualifications to be on the court than I have. There's certainly a long history of justices not deciding along party lines. But I haven't had quite all my idealism crushed yet, so give it a few years.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't a Supreme Court Justice be nominated or whatever based on thier knowledge of the law and thier commitment to seeing justice done, and not thier political veiws? That might just be my small town upbringing talking, but isn't that what's important?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not entirely. It's true that, ideally, a nominee shouldn't be chosen due to being a conservative, or due to being a liberal. However, one cannot ignore the person's political views entirely. If the person is a real hardliner (on one side or the other), they probably won't make a good justice, because their political leanings are likely to influence their decisions.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as ut's not Gonzalez- anyone that thinks the US needs to relax it's policy against tortue is best put in a job where he cant do any damage to the...country....

Like Attorney General.

Yeah. Sooo fucked.

I was reading up on prospective nominees and there are several that are very good choices, - several are qualified, women and not nuts either.

Those will probably not make the "short list" though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush chose Scalito.

And, according to Matt Drudge, calling him "Scalito" makes me a racist. Oh well.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

It just makes you quick to jump on cutesy memes.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush's pals are none too happy that they refused his "request" to see the confirmation process finished by Christmas break.

Looks like they'll be seriously looking into this nominee's opinions, record and history of judgments.
Their job in other words.

He's still no where near an ideal candidate- the NOW is seriously scared he'll overturn Roe Vs Wade and if he's anything like Scallia, the court will become seriously unbalanced towards the right with him on it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

If he's anything like Scalia? We're talking about a guy who thinks companies shouldn't have to hire disabled people, and who thinks it's a good idea to strip search ten-year-old girls if their fathers are suspected of wrongdoing. I don't think his right-wing lunacy is in question.

Edit : I almost forgot. He also doesn't think people should be allowed time off work if they have to care for family members.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless Canada. Our politicians may be crooks, but they're not fucked up in the head.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps