Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Miers withdraws her name for Supreme Court nomination (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Miers withdraws her name for Supreme Court nomination
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought your politicians were just the quiet "he aways seemed like such a nice guy" kind of fucked up in the head.

Our nuts are just so much more obvious about it.

A real problem I see is that the Supreme Court members/ nominees are (and mostly always have been) so wealthy that thedy cant fathom why anyone would need the protections we are so concerned about.

Coverage for maternity leave? Equal rights for the disabled? Protection from over-zealous cops?
None of that applies when you live in a mansion and the law is an abstraction.

Sadly, that's a malady with most of the republican party- they're so much in bed with corperate intrests that the voters mean nothing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, Alito is worth about $600,000 to $1,600,000, not including his house, which is more than I've got (or at current trends more than I'm ever likely to have) to be sure, but is it really a mindbending amount of money? I doubt it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, condsider that his currect position includes a lifetime pension at full pay upon retirment- as does the Supreme Court gig.

That's something over 100K a year forever.

Not exactly a pauper either.

Same cushy deal Congress gets (though you'd be hard pressed to find a non-millionaire among that crowd).

quote:
Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito's net worth got a major boost last year when a family friend died and left him Exxon Mobil Corp. stock worth between $100,000 and $250,000, according to his 2004 financial disclosure statement.

Just the man to impartially decide weither the federal govenment can override the Florida's ban on offshore oil drilling. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps