Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Freedom of the Iraqi Press (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Freedom of the Iraqi Press
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Just because they usually agree with *your* world view doesn't mean they're being objective."

Like FOX News.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I might start calling Fox the 'Administration Mouthpiece Channel.'

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they getting paid for their propaganda? I suspect that had Zaki asked for more, if he found out how much he could be making, he'd be right pissed. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised that the groundwork is being laid for something similar over there.

I honestly think I'd be less disturbed by Bush the younger's behavior if I felt like he was even remotely considering opposing viewpoints. Even if he rejected them afterwards and adopted the same bullheaded policies he has throughout this administration. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but after seeing Richard Clark speak, I got his book. And it scared the poop out of me.

It's chilling to think that the same managerial attitude/bullshit I was dealing with when I was working as a janitor in high-school, the same indifference to the opinions of anyone who disagrees has made it to the highest office in the nation. It's one thing to disregard the voice of a precocious teen janitor, but it seems incredibly irresponsible to not listen to dissenting ideas when those ideas are coming from lettered experts with years of experience. I was appalled when Colin Powell 'left'. Not that he was half the pain-in-the-ass the administration needed, but he did represent some modicum of debate.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NPR has interviewed several newspapers that knew full well that the stories were propaganda- it was no big shock and they needed the money. It's not like the insurgents are buying ad space to keep them in business.
Besides, these were "fluff" pieces that praised local Iraqi cooperation more than pointing fingers at any one person.

Not that it's right. In fact, it's illeagal for the military to plant such stories in US papers- or even in US protectorates.

What's funny is that just two days before this story broke, Rumsfeld pointed to Iraq's press and an example of what a a free press should be.
Makes me wonder how many "stay the course" stories from soldiers overseas are total bullshit.
Does anyone attempt to verify those?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What's funny is that just two days before this story broke, Rumsfeld pointed to Iraq's press and an example of what a a free press should be."

So, basically, he was being far more honest about his opinion than anyone suspected...

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Military Says It Paid Iraq Papers for News
Possible 'Improprieties' to Be Investigated

By Josh White and Bradley Graham
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, December 3, 2005; A01

The U.S. military command in Baghdad acknowledged for the first time yesterday that it has paid Iraqi newspapers to carry positive news about U.S. efforts in Iraq, but officials characterized the payments as part of a legitimate campaign to counter insurgents' misinformation.

In a statement, the command said the program included efforts, "customary in Iraq," to purchase advertising and place clearly labeled opinion pieces in Iraqi newspapers. But the statement suggested that the "information operations" program may have veered into a gray area where government contractors paid to have articles placed in Iraqi newspapers without explaining that the material came from the U.S. military and that Iraqi journalists were paid to write positive accounts.

"Serious allegations have been raised that suggest the process may be functioning in a manner different than is intended or appropriate," the statement said. Commanders are "reviewing these allegations and will investigate any improprieties," it said.

The statement from Baghdad was the first official effort to explain the media initiative after three days of news reports describing efforts by the U.S. military to plant stories in Iraqi media under the guise of independent journalism.

The episode has sparked an intense debate at the Pentagon and beyond, as military officials in Washington said privately that they are troubled by the situation and media experts said the program violated standard journalistic practices.

The controversy has also fanned a debate that has been underway for months in military circles about the role that information operations should be playing in nontraditional conflicts such as the Iraq situation. The term covers a wide range of activities -- some open, some not -- intent on undermining an enemy by fooling, confusing or refuting him.

"The broader debate is whether it's acceptable for the IO community to be doing this," said a general who has served in Iraq and has some experience in information operations.

After a briefing from Pentagon officials yesterday, Sen. John W. Warner (R-Va.), chairman of the Armed Services Committee, said he remains "gravely concerned about the situation." He said the Pentagon is looking into cases in which there may have been "an omission" of labels in newspapers indicating where the material came from or that it was an advertisement.

In describing the program, military officials said third parties -- including the Washington-based Lincoln Group -- were sometimes hired to distribute the articles to newspapers to protect publishers that might have been targeted by insurgents if they were known to accept material from the military.

Officials said one unanswered question they have is whether the Lincoln Group intentionally misled newspapers by presenting the articles as freelance journalism, obscuring the fact that the material came from U.S. armed forces.

----

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, given that the military admits to doing this, I guess that wipes out any �gee it was reported by the Times and we all know how biased they are� counter argument.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears so, yes.

I am almost willing to be that the military finds nothing wrong, with the military, now, those pesky civilian contractors.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The U.S. military command in Baghdad acknowledged for the first time yesterday that it has paid Iraqi newspapers to carry positive news about U.S. efforts in Iraq, but officials characterized the payments as part of a legitimate campaign to counter insurgents' misinformation.

Jusr swap "insurgents" with "democrats" and you'll see why this is soo dangerous right here at home.
It's such a small step after all....

quote:
The episode has sparked an intense debate at the Pentagon and beyond, as military officials in Washington said privately that they are troubled by the situation and media experts said the program violated standard journalistic practices.

"Troubled" they got caught.
What is this now? Five or six scandals all at once with this administration? More?

-Scooter Libby's indictment over purjury in the Plame scandal.
-Delay's alleged kickbacks/bribery.
-Randy "Duke" Cunningham resigning over admitting bribery.
-Rep. Bob Ney of Ohio investigated for congressional bribery.
-The FCC discriminating against non-replublicans when selecting a new PBS chairman.
- The use of White Phosphorus chemical weapons in Iraq.
- and now the whole "pay for planted stories in a foeign media" bit.

I'm sure I've mossed a few though- Jay?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

- The use of White Phosphorus chemical weapons in Iraq.

This is an odd one for me, we fired WP rounds to create screens, or walls of smoke, to obsecure movements from the enemy. This is standard practice, and WP rounds are sometimes mixed in with high explosive rounds so that after the enemy is bombed it takes a bit longer to get re-organized and prepare for the following attack. WP rounds are fired in this country, at any military live fire installation. I have fired hundreds of this type of round both in Germany and here in the US.

If this is the case of the military being 'caught' using chemical weapons then you had better count any illumination rounds also, for they give off gases that could kill a person.

I would have to say the this particular one is media BS.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The issue is not WP rounds- it's the WP mortars fired blindly into civillian areas- something the Pentagon at first denied, then would not comment on, then said they were investigating and finally, that they "employed strategicaly".

That's a biiig step above smokescreens and tracers.

Who knows? Mabye no civillians were you know, incinerated by a mortar that missed it's insurgent target -they were fired mostly at night so it's posible in a "win the lotto" kind of way- but I think we'll hear about it (quietly) in a few years after the occupation is over and the locals tell their stories.

For the record, I had hoped it was just "media BS" too....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I had hope.....untill this.

quote:
However, he "never saw anybody intentionally use any weapon against civilians", he said.
which is a far cry from saying there are no reports of it being used on civilians- even by mistake.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Allow me to provide you editorial cartoon assistance regarding the scandals.

-

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Melville reference. Maybe a white minnow named Sadaam on the end of a toothpick.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Well, Mr. Bush had to chase his White Whale.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps