Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Freedom of the Iraqi Press (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Freedom of the Iraqi Press
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick Cheney?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saddam Hussein.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a jab at Cheney's pale complexion and rotund body....though I could say as much for Karl Rove, I suppose.

What's with Republicans anyway? A party of middle-aged, fat, rich white bastards.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're the best of what's left.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, that is what I fired in the army, mortars, 11C is the MOS, 4.2in/107mm and 81mm.

WP isn't like napalm, but it does burn in to the skin and not go out, till you smother it anyway. Something like desert sand would work nicely....

I am not defending the danger close firing in to civilian areas, but firing them at night, moonlite nights, still helps with obsurement. The part that would cause the problem is the adjustment of the rounds, to get them on target, by means of bracketing. It is very rare that you get a first round on target, so even if the actual target is not particularly close to civilian areas rounds can get in to them.

Mortars are very accurate, after you have them aimed, but getting them aimed can be a bitch for a newly trained FO, Forward Observer, or a barely trained person. Some MPs received basic FO training when I was serving.
This, compounded with the nearness of civilians, should have had the commanding officer a bit reluctant to use these weapons. Mk19 grenade lauchers, and regular hand grenades, can be employed to do the same thing, with both WP and CS as options.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and now the whole 'pay for planted stories in a foeign media' bit."

Take out the word "foreign", of course, and this is nothing new. Armstrong Williams, anyone?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

An intresting article on Williams here. Just shows that this kind of crap is status quo for the Republicans (though it would not suprise me to learn elements in both parties are doing this).

Ritten, thanks for the info- I did not know they were that common in the US arsensal (the mortars).
I still have to wonder why the Pentagon was so adamant about them not being used, unitll faced with evidence to the contrary.

No matter how "accurate" the mortars are though, I dont think firing them (at night!) into a civillian population center is at all justified.

-It's not like the people there would know what set them/ their house on fire in any case- "smothering" the flames wont work in a big fire and the local fire departments are hardly up to spec.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps