Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The dignity of man (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The dignity of man
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Torture-wise, in the viewpoint of the world, if nothing else, yes....untill mid-year elections anyway.

I wonder how much damage control BushCo can do between now and then- it's gonna be tough for him to continue his agendas if the democrats win majority in congress and the house.

Not that they have their shit together or anything.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...as long as Cheney insists on allowing for torture..."

He doesn't have to insist much with the CIA running its clandestine terror prison network, now does he?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! But so much can change in a day or so:

-Cheney got the smackdown from McCain, who went directly to Bush and (wonder of wonders) convinced him to sign the ban on torture!
Man, the press is calling it a "major defeat" for Cheney (as though his agenda were seperate from the Presidents).
MvCain is probably the only Republican I'd like to meet and shake hands with.

-12 million voted in Iraq's elections- many women and minorities voted for the very first time, and the day was (gasp!) peaceful!
Shows some good is happening over there at least. The Miami Herald had a bueatiful pic of a woman holding up her ink-stained fingers in a peace "V".
Very cool.

-The senate shot down the extentions and broadening of the Patriot Act as grossly violating civil liberties.

Annnd....
-Bush himself is in hot water for (according to the New York Times) ordering the NSA to eavesdrop on private citizens with no warrant or showing just cause) as far back as 2002. Connie Rice refused to comment.

Overall, a throughly amusing news day. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The senate shot down the extentions and broadening of the Patriot Act as grossly violating civil liberties."

The news reports keep making it sound that way, but they didn't. The bill hasn't been defeated. It hasn't even been voted on. All they've done so far is filibuster it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yet....it's not just the Democrats that opposed it- meaning the Republicans will not try their "nuclear option" if a Fillibuster results and the Democrats wont easily cave in (again).

Besides, take whatever ray of sunshine you can with this administration, pallie.

Besides, this made me actually hopeful for the future of Iraq.
A pretty cool report- if these two can have hope after all they suffered through, who are we to be so cynical?.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yet....it's not just the Democrats that opposed it- meaning the Republicans will not try their 'nuclear option' if a Fillibuster results and the Democrats wont easily cave in (again)."

Only four Republicans voted in favor of the filibuster, and at least one of those (Frist) only did it because he already knew they wouldn't get cloture, and this will allow him to bring the issue back up again.

And the "nuclear option" only applies to judicial nominees. Even these Republicans are not insane enough to try to eliminate the concept of the filibuster entirely.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Dis you just say the Republicans were not insane enough to do something stupid?

'Cause, that's jjust asking for trouble..

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason's disblief show's as his typing stutters....

I have to agree with Jason though. I am still waiting for Bush to declare himself king.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye we can accomidate him...I hear Anartica is available.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

That's a terrible thought. Have you forgotten that the only people who live in Antarctica are scientists?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thye will have to move then.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ship Mr. Bush back to his ranch in Texas so he can cut the rest of the brush.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

No, I like the idea of him freezing half his dubya off.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm...the scientists can spend their long cold winter nights trying to explain why evolution is not "just another theory" to him.

Better yet- they can show him John carpenter's The Thing and claim it's a classified CIA report.
Man, that would be funny as hell...untill we nuke Anartica, that is.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

We can open resorts on the new balmy shores.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps