Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Canada to send troops to Iraq.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Canada to send troops to Iraq....
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be so awesom, people would have to vote for it.

At they very least, I'd vote for it. And every vote is worth money. [Big Grin]

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote for the nerd party. We'd need a better name for it though. And we'd have to legalize marijuana. And build huge government funded plantations and give it away free to all those who voted for us, and abolish all religion except the Jedi Code! And build 50 meter tall walking machines of death and destruction to subjugate the weak minded fools who would dare oppose us!!!

On second thought, it's probably better if we didn't...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Apathy Party sounds like a winner. You could have the Secretary of State for Whatever, the Ministry of I'll Do It Tomorrow, and the Department of I'm Going Back To Bed.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...But why bother?

We're getting a new President this Sunday. Except we are actually re-electing the old one, regardless of who wins. The challengers have had to go through enough hoops to lure in the (in)decisive voters that the only remaining differences will be in hair color and gender. And the remaining challenger might be forced to compromise on those as well by Sunday. I'm refraining from voting in advance mainly in expectation of some last-minute surgery.

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the old axiom says, if you didn't vote, you can't bitch. So [Razz]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but by voting Green you might as well not have at all!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(So what's with all this Conan O'Brien business, Timo?)
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing wrong with it. The selection of peoples that the Irish can have fun on is pretty narrow after all, dontcha think? [Wink]

OTOH, if our Halonen got the Green (and Orange?) votes thanks to O'Brien, she'd take by landslide anybody who only had the couple of million Finnish voters on his side. That's how the elections in the 60s-70s used to go, too: one candidate usually had 200 million Soviet votes to back him up...

Timo Saloniemi

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:

I should keep my eyes peeled.... we've just became a much more tempting target for terrorism.

I'm not a big fan of the conservatives either but gee, alarmist much? I don't think international terrorism is heavily invested in the Canadian election.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but if Canada starts tap-dancing with the Americans step-by-step and following American policies abroad, we may as well be.

A few years before this, Stephen Harper was seething red when the Liberal Government (rightly) decided not to join the American invasion of Iraq. He may say that he will rethink that position, but if Canada decides to send troops to a war with the similar premise as Iraq, we may soon see suicide bombers on our very own streets. Spain saw it, and so did Britain.

I would rather the Canadian government follow the wishes of its people then be bullied by That Large Land Mass South Of The Fourty-Ninth Parallel.

[ January 25, 2006, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As the old axiom says, if you didn't vote, you can't bitch."

That, of course, is the kind of bullshit that can only be truly believed by someone who is delusionally optimistic.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the way I see it is, even if they aren't viable, there are always alternatives. Don't like either of the two partys? Vote for a third party. In our system at least, every vote for a party gets that party some funds, so while they won't be in power, they can at least try and get their points across.

And if more people thought this way, third partys would be a whole lot more viable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But you've already got a third (and a fourth) party that are politically important. A few more seats and the NDP could force all sorts of deals from the Conservatives, for instance.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Which is sort of my pont. Peole are all "I don't like the Conservatives or the Liberals, so I don't vote."

We had something like 65% voter turnout. If even half of the non-voters came out and voted, even if it was for go-nowhere parties, it may have made a difference in the kind of government they ended up with.

At the very least, 17% of the legal voters picking these parties would probably make for some interesting news.

I voted NDP

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Before this election, the Green Party was limited to a few ridings in major cities and the like. But with more votes, they got enough funding to be able to have a candidate in every riding in the country.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps