Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Too hot to handle (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Too hot to handle
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I can't stand the imperial system. I plan on beating it to death with a blunt spoon.
82F as you call it is nearly perfect weather. 27c. take that down to about 24 and it's heaven.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we should really talk about our mass.

I use the international standard "SI" system.
Mass - kg
Weight (a force) - Newtons, N
Temperature - degrees Celsius
or more confusing to uneducated proles: Kelvins
(Interesting aside: I type this from what used to be Lord Kelvin's office; now a computer lab. Oooh, doesn't that make me feel important!)

And Liam, i too face the ternal dillemma coat or no coat?!

This morning's forecast: Cloudy with occasional sunny spells, but some rain.
Outside: Sunny skies all morning and 20 C.
Useless!

------------------
"Plagues extinguished, the world becomes smaller.
For a long time there is peace in empty lands.
People will walk safely by air, land, sea, waves.
Then again wars will be stirred up..."

- Nostradamus, 1568

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It's odd even though I live only a short distance from the US, and have grown up watching their television and movies, I have never understood the Farhenheit sytem. As to the local tempurature it has been quite warm, ~27 C most of the week.

Another interesting note about metric is that you are meant to measure all time in seconds.

IP: Logged
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to convert it there's a simple formula:

(F� x 5/9) - 32 = C�

where F is the temperature in Farhenheit, and C is the answer you want in Celsius

------------------
Distance is to a relationship as wind is to a flame. If the flame is small, it will snuff the flame out. If the flame is big, the wind will fan the flame, making is grow hotter. - Unknown

Romance is when you can't see any faults in your partner. Love is when you see all of them, but continue to love that person anyway. - Baloo

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easier way to convert:

0 degrees = too cold to go outside for any reason except to earn a living.

0-32 = Freezing cold.

32 (just short of 1/3 up to 100) = Demarcation between freezing cold and fargin' cold. Ideal temperature for American beer.

32-50 = Fargin' cold, but not too bad if the wind isn't blowing.

50 = The ideal temperature for many beers, except American brews.

50-68 = Cool. Bring a sweater or windbreaker.

68 (about 2/3 up from the bottom) = Pretty nice out. Demarcation between cool and just right.

68-100 = lower range is just right, depending on what you're most comfortable with (except polar bears/eskimos). Upper range is kinda warm ranging to rather hot.

100 = hotter than you are. Go inside and drink iced drinks.

Over 100 = really hot. Wear sunscreen and stay indoors as much as possible (air-conditioning is highly recommended).

The above chart should allow anyone unfamiliar with the Fahrenheit system to estimate the ambient temperature with the degree of accuracy required by non-professionals.

The pros should use a calculator.

--Baloo

------------------
No, I'm not cold. I'm just trying to pretend I don't want a cigarrette!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the method, Baloo, but it's all relative. Living in New England, between 50-60 F (10-15 C) is about the most comfortable temperature to me...anything above 70 F (20 C, well, 21, but I like round numbers) is too hot.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Walter Barnett: "D-Did that thing just shatter an overpass into dust?"
Donny Finkleberg: "No, I...I think it was an entrance ramp."

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baloo? you're from Nuevo Mexico? Where? *L* I'm at school at UNM-Albuquerque. Heh. Don't know the NM geography *quite* well enough just yet to know if that qualifies as 'east' or not though...all i know is the mountains are to the east ;-)

*leaves to study for espanol some more* :P

------------------
**The Light only shines in the dark, and sometimes innocence is just an excuse for the guilty**

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J-W: On a map of New Mexico that includes the Texas panhandle, draw a straight line from Albuquerque to Lubbock. Clovis should be just inside NM where the line crosses the NM/TX border.

Notice something else about the map. It's sparsely populated. You have to drive 100 miles or more to get to a bigger burgh than Clovis, and Clovis ain't no Metropolis!

--Baloo

------------------

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*scrolls down the thread*
ACK... There's NUMBER STUFF in here!!!

*Runs out of thread screaming*

------------------
When I saw you I fell in love,
and you smiled because you knew
- Unkown

...if you should die before me,
ask if you could bring a friend...
- Unkown

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, Baloo I see. Pretty sure some of the girls I've met are from around there...couldn't pick out any names though.

it's SO weird...we've had all this super cold weather up in ABQ...all of us wearing sweats and wishing we hadn't packed all our turtlenecks and stuff yet. it was somewhat nicer yesterday, and then today its SUPER hot...very weird. *L*

------------------
**The Light only shines in the dark, and sometimes innocence is just an excuse for the guilty**

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Same deal here. Upper temps got into the lower 90's (~lower-mid 30's C). Low temp this morning was the high temp a few days ago (less than a week).

--Baloo

------------------

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orders Jubilee to compute to the last digit the value of PI...

------------------
"You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak."

- Chris Morris, Brass Eye

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monty, everyone knows that the last digit is 3.

(See, no one can conclusively deny this, so... )

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"[Steve Jobs] shouts at his employees a lot, using language you can't use on TV, not even on UPN." - Andy Ihnatko

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

*chuckles* wanna bet, Frank? I had NO IDEA the last digit was 3 ;-) *L* In fact, i think the bug wall length poster that was in my geometry room my sophomore year stopped at 7. hehehe...

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes Moderator finger*

This is sorta.. ahem... off topic....

Finish up soonish... or the padlock will be on its way.

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps