Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A Yankee is a... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Yankee is a...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...derogatory term for me. Why? I never liked being called one, I suppose. Yankee to me is someone from NYC. I hate NYC. I can't wait for it to slip off into the ocean. Most people outside of NYC feel the same.

But where did the term come from? I've been told that it was a corruption of the term "John Cheese", which was an derogatory term for the Dutch settlers in Northeast US back when we were still colonies.

This has been a long standing gripe, and I hate it. It may seem like nothing to anyone else, but I feel really strongly about it, and I feel like flaming about it.

Thank you for bothering to read my rant.

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

LB4747
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bashing New York City, huh?

Them's fighting words. :P

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
Not just a proud Yank, a proud Yankees fan too.

[This message was edited by LB4747 on April 24, 1999.]

IP: Logged
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And from someone from Buffalo, I have every right to say so! NYC is a tax money vacuum!

:-�

------------------

LB4747
Ex-Member

Well, NYC is everyone's favorite punching bag (even for people who've never visited here, let alone lived here). So it shouldn't be surprising when New Yorkers (like myself) get a bit touchy when others try and put down the city.

So :�, :�, and :� right back at ya!

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning."
--Albert Einstein

LB4747
Ex-Member

And about the term "Yankee":

If your not from The U.S., then any American is a Yank. To a southerner, anyone from the northeast is a Yankee. To someone from the mid-Atlantic or northeast, a Yankee would be a New Englander (not someone from New York City, as you say -- although a New Yorker would be considered a Yankee to someone from the South or from outside the States). So your gripe is not quite accurate since, under no definition, is a Yankee someone specifically from NYC (unless we're talking baseball). It's all relative.

You can find a further discussion of the term on this website: http://h-net2.msu.edu/~south/archives/threads/yankee.html

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning."
--Albert Einstein

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's not just a word that rhymes with...

'Wah hay! Yank!'

'Huh'

'Yank! Get it?'

'No'

'*sigh* YANK! Sonunds almost exactly like w...'

------------------
'Those are the headlines. Happy now?'
-Chris Morris.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

John Cheese?

*raises eyebrow*

BTW that sounds like John Cleese..

Simon
Ex-Member

The actual root of the word Yankee is still a mystery, but the best guess is it comes from the Dutch word Janke. It was originally used by the British as a derogatory name for New Englanders but it was eventually expanded to cover all of LB4747's definitions.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, no matter where you are, I'm a yankee according to all of LB4747's definitions.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Ultra Magnus: "I know you're bored, Rodimus, but with the mantle of leadership comes obligations."
Rodimus Prime: "I don't suppose I could interest you in a used mantle?"

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Er..there is no Dutch word janke.. or at least there isn't now.. The closest to it would be janker, which would mean crybaby (in this meaning at least) which sounds like a nicely derogatory term :]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

I'm pretty sure it came from "John Cheese".... my elementary teachers couldn't be all wrong.

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*can understand Jeff's gripe*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[I love http://www.dictionary.com/ .]

yankee \Yan"kee\, n. [Commonly considered to be a corrupt pronunciation of the word English, or of the French word Anglais, by the native Indians of America. According to Thierry, a corruption of Jankin, a diminutive of John, and a nickname given to the English colonists of Connecticut by the Dutch settlers of New York. Dr. W. Gordon (``Hist. of the Amer. War,'' ed, 1789, vol. i., pp. 324, 325) says it was a favorite cant word in Cambridge, Mass., as early as 1713, and that it meant excellent; as, a yankee good horse, yankee good cider, etc. Cf. Scot yankie a sharp, clever, and rather bold woman, and Prov. E. bow-yankees a kind of leggins worn by agricultural laborers.] A nickname for a native or citizen of New England, especially one descended from old New England stock; by extension, an inhabitant of the Northern States as distinguished from a Southerner; also, applied sometimes by foreigners to any inhabitant of the United States.

From meanness first this Portsmouth Yankey rose, And still to meanness all his conduct flows. --Oppression, A poem by an American (Boston, 1765).

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

------------------
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 24, 1999.]

Feste
Ex-Member

Jeff - you say you "hate NYC." What is it you hate? Really. As a transplanted Southerner living (gratefully) in NYC, many of my southern friends and relatives say the same thing without ever having been here five minutes. Re taxes, NY state rakes in billions of dollars from tourists visiting the city. With all due respect, they're not uh, stampeding to Buffalo. Unless you want to count Operation Save America.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

85% of my taxes go to programs that benefit NYC, instead of programs that should benefit the state as a whole(and yes I've been to NYC).

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps