Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A lighter kind of flame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A lighter kind of flame
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It's not that I don't like all those grave flames, but I feel we need a lighter kind of flame as well. So please answer my question:

Why is British money so damn ugly??

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the Queen's fault, she is getting on a bit.

Besides, Us money is far, far worse.All the same size, all the same design. How dull. How boring.

Er, are you talking about coins (as the only person on the planet who likes the �2 coin) or the notes?

I have no idea what Dutch money looks like though.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

granted, US money is dull and old-fashioned, but it does have a clear layout, UK money is just covered in illustrations and fancy patterns carelessly strewn all over the paper, and it's a stylish black and green.

RW
Member # 27

Oh, Dutch money looks like this:

http://www.bio.vu.nl/home/rgaros/money/index.html

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with PsyLiam. UK money (and australian, and new zealand, etc, etc, etc...) may be more colorful and complex, but it's to prevent such easy duplication of it. on top of that.....to keep you from giving someone a 10 when you meant to hand them a 1 :P

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be the last person to defend U.S. currency on the basis of it's aesthetic appeal.

Still, I have to wonder...

<Sarcasm=on>How many of you have this problem of mistaking a tenner for a one? Is the numeral "1" just too similar to the numeral "10"? If you have this sort of difficulty on a recurring basis, I would like to admonish you, in addition to "Don't drink and drive.", I would like to add "Don't drink and conduct high finance."

If you can't be bothered to examine your money before handing it to a stranger, any advice I could give you is pointless.</Sarcasm>

Mind you, American currency denominations are @#$% near impossible to distinguish without the sense of sight. I've always liked the colorfulness of Canadian money, the technological "wierdness" of Australia's plastic money (I'd like to see a sample some day), and the various different-sized denominations I saw in Germany. BTW, since Germany reunited, did they re-do the money or did they just keep using both East-German and west-German currency?

--Baloo

------------------
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
-- Plato
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you're poor, all money is beautiful.

------------------
I am selling only the concept of karmic realignment.
You can't sell that! Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When standing downwind of a pig farm, chicken ranch, or dairy, try saying: "Phew!"

Some idiot will insist that this particular miasma don't stink. Rather: "It's the smell of money."

This goes a long way towards explaining why money might require occasional laundering.

------------------
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
-- Plato

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: East German currency was abolished in 1990, but it had lost its value as soon as the wall was open in 1989. I'll miss the DM, but I'm looking forward to chocolate bars for "only" 50 cents.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

That reminds me. When does the "Euro" become the only "real money" in the EU?

Is it in place now, used alongside regional currencies or will it destroy all national currencies in the Union?

------------------
-- Plato

RW
Member # 27

That dreadful looking money will replace our beautiful money in 2002. Both currencies can be used alongside each other for a very short period before total conversion. It is already in use at stock markets and such, and bank accounts. I personally doubt it really has any real benefits though. I agree with what I read in a newspaper a while ago: why have a common currency if there's no common financial policy? Oh well, it's a first step anyway. But did it really have to look that bad? Even *I* could design something much better!

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Money sucks...I think they should include Civil Rights leaders, slavery abolisher type people, etc, and have green, blue, and yellow designs...the grey-green is bland...

Jamaican money is pretty cool. i don't have any bills on-hand at the moment, but I recall them being red, purple, and having watermarks. Even the S****Y South American money and Mexico money is better than ours!

The Bermudan coins are pretty, a bird-of-paradise flying on the backside.

Mebbe I'll scan them.

------------------
"You were right about the negotiations...they were short."
ObiWan Kenobi to QuiGon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

[This message was edited by Sunspot on June 01, 1999.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American money doesn't have watermarks?

------------------
-Joey Tribiani

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does now!

We are in the process of (unsuccessfully) updating our bills to make them more counterfeit proof. They now have watermarks, holograms, thread and a few other things I can't remember now. So far this is just on 100's, 50's ,and 20's.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

[This message was edited by bryce on June 01, 1999.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

They've only been added RECENTLY? We've had those things on our money for at least as long as I can remember (which is only 10 years admitadly). And we have then on all notes... �5's, �10's, �20's and �50's. Although not many people even use �50's much anymore. If you want to buy sometihng that expensive, you're better off using a cheque or credit card. And you look very suspicious going into Woolies an buying a parer with a �50 (although a fe old mad people do) and so many shops wont accept them anyway.

------------------
-Joey Tribiani

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps