Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A lighter kind of flame (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A lighter kind of flame
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is the reason we took so long to update our currency is because there is so much of it out there.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 50 dollar bill has a 50 cent piece sown into it.

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem* All our US bills $10 and above have a type of watermark thing in them....hold it up to the light and you'll see this plastic 'thread'like thing sown into it along the right said that says "US TEN US TEN US TEN" etc...or similar. you can actually even take them out, but who would *do* that, I don't know, as it would then make the money worthless *rolls eyes*

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite fond of the designs for the euro notes and coins.
Euro Notes
Colourful bank notes: More of them please!

US Money is all too green.

------------------
"She turned me into a NEWT!..........
.....Well, I got better..."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to disagree with Monty and say that I doon't like the new Euro design. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Eurosceptic because I believe in integration, but only up to a certain point. Anyway, I don't like the design - our own currency is a lot better designed.

Liam: You probably are the only person on the planet to like the �2 coin. It's better than that HUGE �5 coin they tried once though.

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Monty: As far as I know, US money is mostly black with a green back.

Liam: Strange people hardly use 50 pound notes anymore. Roughly speaking, 50 pounds is some 150 guilders, and we have banknotes of 250 and 1000 guilders which are relatively frequently used, I believe even more than the higher denominations in the US. What happened to the 10000 dollar bill BTW?

About Euro notes: They're not bad, but they're hotchpotch designs. An image here, a pattern there. If you look at this image:

it looks much more centralised. But having said this, it's not by far the worst money in the world. Have you seen the French money the used until a few years ago? They were made of TP, and looked like what's on TP :]

The horror!
http://www.ecb.int/emi/about/about06a.htm
luckily, it was changed into this:
http://members.unlimited.net/~dmills/banknote/france/modern/f-073-a.jpg

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take it from a recent U.S. high school graduate. U.S. money is printed on paper a shade of white. Green ink (from light to a dark shade that looks almost black) is the only color used along with the watermarks and holograms and stuff that was already mentioned.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

*looks at 10 dollar bill scan*

That's dark green?!

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like the two-pound coin, excepty when I'nm given it as change and then the bleedin' machine won't accept it, and I am thus denied my Mars bar.

------------------
"She turned me into a NEWT!..........
.....Well, I got better..."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the U.S. mint is prejudiced against non-green currency. They fear any U.S. currency in other-than-green colors will closely resemble "Monopoly Money" (a boardgame who's play-money is synonymous with "worthless currency") and be treated accordingly. Besides, they're afraid someone will laugh at them if they bring out colorful money.

(Federal employees are very frightened of appearing silly.)

--Baloo

------------------
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
-- Plato
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW: There is a two pound coin. It was first introduced about five or six years ago, but it was removed from circulation. In their wisdom, the powers that be decided to create new ones using two different metals and these were brought in about a year ago I think.

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original �2 coin was a limited edition thing. (They actually did it twice. Once in 1989 I think, and the other was a special edition VE coin).

I like the new coins. They're original. I also like Thirdspace. So sue me.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Susan B." was a big disappointment. I liked the "Ike" dollars better, even if they were huge and weighed a ton. Next time I hope the dollar coin is minted in a golden metal (or at least anodized that way). Maybe that will add some visual excitement to a coin that needs every advantage it can get.

I also wish there was a good U.S. $5.00 coin. [Click here to see what the U.S. Mint is up to.] (Whoops! Forgot to close the anchor tag!)

--Baloo

------------------
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
-- Plato
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on June 03, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps