Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Power of Prayer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Power of Prayer
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this doesn't turn into cannon fodder for First of Two, but rather something to think about.

Prayer for the sick helps

------------------
"I'm looking for someone to change my life.
I'm looking for a miracle in my life.
And if you could see, what its done to me...
To lose the love I knew, could safely lead me to
The land that I one knew...
To learn as we grow old, the secrets of our souls."
Question, The Moody Blues

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited October 28, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Rolls in the cannon... squeak... squeak... squeak...*

I hate to disappoint the guys, but I wouldn't consider that a valid study, not yet. All possible causes must be examined.

I'd like to see if the results don't hold up when the prayers are being offered to Allah, Buddha, Bast, Ahura Mazda, or the Great Potato, rather than the conventional Christian God-Being.

THAT could be interesting.

But the implications, should the results stay the same, could be staggering. Hmm..

Of course, the problem here, I suppose, would be finding enough believers in other deities to conduct a balanced study.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, you make a good point... Is it the specific prayer to God, or is it the act of praying that's important?

------------------
"Do you suffer from long-term memory loss? I don't remember..."
Chumbawumba, Amnesia

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited October 28, 1999).]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No no no.
God has a strict policy of obeying the Prime Directive.
It works out to be less hassle all round in the long run. I'm with Gene Hackman in the "Poseidon Adventure" on this issue.

------------------
"NO! NO! Kill you all!
Die! MAKE YOU SUFFER!!!"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see. Monty is proposing deities take lessons from Lester B. Pearson.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could'ja imagine the brouhaha if a scientific study actually showed that you get well faster if your friends pray to an image of the "Great Potato" (imaginary Deity from the TV show "Dinosaurs") than to God?

Incidentally, I'm told that, statistically, those who visit Lourdes and Medjugorge (sp) and some such places actually experience spontaneous healing LESS often than people who stay home, eat better, have a good attitude, etc? (I know I'll have to figure out where I heard this.)

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone once figured out that rulers that are actively prayed for by the population tend to die sooner and more violently. : )

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*begins considering praying for Bill Clinton*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
say "Amen," somebody
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen.

Don't forget the Forum Bake sale! It'll be held on the fourteenth Friday in Octember.

------------------
If you speak and no-one listens, it still counts as long as YOU have learned something.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

I thought it was on Febutober the Eleventeenth...

------------------
"Do you suffer from long-term memory loss? I don't remember..."
Chumbawumba, Amnesia

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prayed before and my prayers were answered. I prayed that I would meet a cute blond curly haired boy, and I did. But I'm not sure that all the credit should go there, after all, I'm really cute...

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally DO believe in the power of prayer and I know for a fact that, at least in my life, and in the lives of numerous others around me, it has helped. I'm not saying that every prayer I've ever said has been answered.... but I know that if they weren't answered, it was for a reason, whether I understand that reason or not. As Garth Brooks put it, "Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers." That's true, except for I don't think there is any such thing as an "unanswered prayer".... all prayers have been answered... we just sometimes miss the answer because we're so busy looking for something else.

But that's just my POV on things, and I'm done now.....

~LOA

------------------
Can't we all just get along????

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, LOA. Prayers are always answered, it's just that sometimes the answer isn't what we want it to be, so we don't see it. But if you simply pray that God will do whatever He wants through your life, and let Him do that, He always will, and chances are you'll end up happier than you would have otherwise.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard recently that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, so I don't think you'll have trouble finding people for your study, 1stof2.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps