Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A very slow flame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A very slow flame
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as I count the minutes that pass as a page loads, I am pondering my sanity.

My mother switched IPs when my aunt found another Internet provider in the area, and it was $5 cheaper than our usual account, and she paid for us a one-year service deal for a $100.

The problem is, the server never connects at 56k, even though it boasts it...its more around 30k. It is also very finicky when trying to connect. You have to load netscape in order for it to connect, and it likes to disconnect every now and then.

Sooo....my mother won't go back to our old IP, even though I offer to pay for it. GRRRRRRRR!

I can't wait to get back on my LAN!

------------------
Signature
Note: The Signature feature is currently enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

[This message has been edited by The First One (edited August 05, 1999).]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorted that HTML tag for you. . . 8)

As for the speed, what are you looking at to tell that it's only doing it at 30K? I have a 56K modem, it's obviously faster than my old 33.6K, yet Windows 95 insists it's still a 33.6.

One thing to check is that you have the right dialin number. Many ISPs have two, one for older 33.6 modems and one for new 56K/V.90 modems. Plus, 56K lines are often more sensitive to line noise - I always had a problem in my old place, but it became chronic when I put the 56K in. Ask your phone company to up the gain.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SLIP/PPP software will generally tell you what speed you're connected at.

See, over here in Connecticut, we've got SNET, the worst phone company in the country, with the possible exception of US West. You can never, ever connect at the full speed of a modem. 56K modems connect at 40Kbps, 33.6 modems connect at 30K or so, and 28.8 modems connect at 24K. And when we had our frame relay installed, SNET had to delay it for a month because the equipment wasn't capable of supporting it, being 1950's-era!

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a lucky SOB I guess. On my old system I only got a connection to 56Kb Line once, and but that was a 48Kb connection. But I have now left the sins of the telephone line and have gone to a CABLE MODEM, with normal connection speeds of 44KB and it is a lot faster sometimes. I love Road Runner, HA HA to slow connect people. Hey why is there a little red dot on forhead? *wrack*

"In the news today HMS White Star was shot by a crazied sniper, the sniper when asked why he shot HMS White Star, he replied, "I had a really slow connection to the internet and this White Star fellow started to brag about his fast connection, so that sent me over the edge, so I shot him."

"Fortunely the HMS White Star will recover because the sniper used a foam rubber dart from a Nerf weapon. HMS White Star has been arrested for mentally harassing the sniper with the slow connection."

No seriously I know about slow connections I used to have connection that was 28.8 and hanged my up every hour or so, and was difficult to connect to. So I got Road Runner and I am not looking back. Hell they have to shoot me many times before I give this up.

"Wait put the gun down please NOOOOO."

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cable modems are evil. Actually, around here, the cable modem service was so slow that a bunch of customers sued TCI (not the best cable company, either).

I really hope DSL is available soon...

------------------
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a cable modem, and have a very fast connection, 64Kb (8 Kilobytes/second) is very common. Just this morning I downloaded an AVI with a speed of about 80Kb (10 Kilobytes/second). My connection has a 'top speed' of 100Kb (12.5 Kilobytes/second). This is at home, not at work!

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 05, 1999).]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We call SNET "Snail" at my house.
But I use Earthlink over here, and I'm currently connected at 50,000 bps. So that's pretty fast for a hick town connection. *LOL*

My college roomate has a cable modem, and she says she can't use ICQ or anything with it becaue the programs say that she doesn't have a modem. I'd hate to have to go without ICQ!! .... She may connect faster, but at least I can message people!

------------------
"It is important to get up when you fall...for this much I know to be true: That thing we call Failure is not in the falling down, but the staying down."

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to rub it in: The company is working on an even faster cable connection!

*evil grin*

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
errr I IRQ well I think I can if anyone sees I am online you can try (no one has every messaged me *sniff*, actually AOL instant messager works perfectly)

to Frank: your just jealous that cable modems are so much faster , Hell the funny thing is I my cable modem goes down, less that my ISP did and I actually get good service from cable company, strange as that may sounds.

to Altair: are sure that's right, went I said "with normal connection speeds of 44KB" I meant 44 KiloBytes not 44 Kilobits, actually 56 Kb sounds like a ISDN line, cable modems should be running at about at least 5-10 times faster than a 56K modem. For the record the fastest download I ever got was 104KB which was fast as hell. Finally what cable company do you use, I use Road Runner.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Bah! My frame relay is nearly as fast as most cable modems would be, and it's only 56K. Plus I can do stuff like run more than one computer off it without extra software. :P

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, my connection software tells me what speed I connect to.

The two IPs in the area are Xcalibur, and Localnet. We switched from Xcalibur to Localnet.

Xcalibur connects ALWAYS at 48k or better.
Localnet has yet to connect higher than 33k.

Localnet constantly disconnects.
Xcalibur rarely disconnected, and if it did, normally it was from someone picking the phone up.

I could connect to Xcalibur first, without having to load netscape, and run other programs...
Localnet will only connect when you load Netscape, and then fails to work when I shut it down.

*takes frustration out on something*

------------------
Signature
Note: The Signature feature is currently enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

I get connected automatically whenever I start something that needs to be connected.

Shadow: I connected a friends computer to mine, and to our surprice, he could connect to the internet too. We played Quake2 without a problem (I very handy to be able to talk to each other, in stead of to type it where everyone can see it. )

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, it's gotta be line noise - that'll slow down the speed and disconnect you. As for this one that will only connect when you use Netscape. . . do you have a Dial-Up Networking session for it? And if so, it doesn't work unless Netscape is open? I'd recommend deleting the DUN settings and recreate them from scratch. If, on the other hand, Netscape always tries to connect using that DUN session, then it must be a setting in NN itself.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Altair: Could you specify an IP address for both computers or did you have to use DHCP?

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

Come on Frank you know the real advantage a cable modem is download speeds (and upload speeds). However I had a cool web caching software that actually loaded pages almost as fast as the cable modem, however my cable modem doesn't like it *sniff* O well.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps