Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A very slow flame (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A very slow flame
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know exactly how we did it, we're still trying to find out. I do know that we used only one IP for Internet use (given to me by my provider), and 1 IP each for the TCP/IP connection between the PC's, these 2 IP's were made up by us.

We think, at the moment, that it has to do with the LAN my friend has at home, in which he can get to the Internet on every PC, in combination with something build in my Windows 98.

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I need a connection that can support multiple actual IPs, so most cable-based ones wouldn't help. That's why I'm waiting for real DSL...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh, I love Vancouver. We have full ADSL capability here! And new phone lines. Hehehe.

Personal ADSL Package...
Setup: $50 (CAN)
Monthly: $39 (CAN)
Speed: 1.5MB/Second
-2 dynamic IP addies, 5 email addies

Pro ADSL Package...
Setup: $175 (CAN)
Monthly: $64 (CAN)
Speed: 2.5MB/Second
-5 dynamic IP addies, 10 email addies

(Tee hee)

------------------
Don't you hate it when you can't think of a signature?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, but that's no good, because the IP addresses aren't static.

------------------
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The host names are, though..

------------------
Don't you hate it when you can't think of a signature?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

That doesn't really matter, especially if you want to run a DNS server...

------------------

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair, sorry to burst your bubble, pal...

I get 80+kbsp with my cable modem, the fastest I've ever gotten was 212kbps. But this is really not a good indication of speed as when you get a connection like this you're not actually downloading the file from the website it's located on.

Cable is a HUGE scam. The trick of the matter lies in the fact that your cable company caches many popular sites and programs that the users download. It is WAY faster for you to download something direct from the cable company that to go through them (as a proxy) and THEN download the material. It's fast, yes, but not as fast as you think it is.

I'm still on cable for the moment as I can only get a 28.8 connection out of my house. ADSL is now available in town, but I have to be within 5-7 KM from the switching station and I'll be damned if I'm a couple more kilometers further than that. *sigh* Soon.

As for your work connection, I have an OC3 connection at the ISP I work for. It's WAY faster than cable. Blazing. Amazing. Ooh...ahh...

------------------
"You're just about as useful as .JPGs to Helen Keller."

- Weird Al (It's All About The Pentiums)

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Cody...I get ADSL for $30 a month, and I get a free modem. Damn, I love working for an ISP...now I just need to move to where I can GET ADSL...couple more months before I move again.

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm paying about $27,50 (NLG 60,-) per month, including renting the modem.

I know about that cache thing (things like a Proxy server). I turned if off the second time I ever logged onto the Net at home. It didn't work right. I never turned it on again.

I took these as proof to convince a friend what speeds I get at home. The files are (as you can see) trailers from SciFi-art.com. Trailer 2 was online only half a day when I started downloading.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

The displayed speeds are KBytes/sec, not Kbits/sec.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 07, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

This one is taken just a few minutes ago. These are part of SciFi-art's trailer3.

Pic 4

Total download speed: 11.3 Kbytes/sec (90.4 Kbits/sec)
------------------

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 07, 1999).]

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

Altair: Looks like you're getting jipped by your cable company...that's not very fast at all. If I was at home I'd show you a couple of my screenshots...

------------------

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

And proxy/caching isn't the same thing. The proxy server is the machine you go through to access the net. I don't know about you, but my cable connection automatically configures this, which is probably why it got screwed up when you turned it on manually.

------------------

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

Okay, Charles found one I sent him...

Screenshot

Not the fastest I've ever gotten, but a rather demonstrative picture nonetheless.

------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note: That's KBps, not Kbps...

*ENVY*

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes. I only ever get up to 30 to 50 KB/sec.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps