Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » It's not my fault, it's my family! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: It's not my fault, it's my family!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bit hazy, but I remember hearing that a country in Europe (or posilby Asia), tried once to arbitarilly set pi to 4.
They eventually didn't do it, due to th efact that trading with the international community would have been completly buggered. "So, what's the circumference of these tires then?" "Oh, around 40cm. Or 40 inches. One of the two. I dunno, about as big as my arm? Thereabouts?"

The thing about Maths is that it proves itself. The other sciences need outside evidence, whereas one theory in Maths proves another, and you only need to diddle on a calculator to prove it.

And as far as I am aware, it's almost impossible to 100% prove something in the sciences. Yo ubasically keep testing until you fail to disprove the theory, correct? And so far, No-one has come up with a peice of evidence which completly refutes evolution, right?

------------------
Headmaster suspended for using big-faced boy as satellite-dish
-The Day Today

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but pi was nearly made a non-true value by legislative fiat.

Observe:

http://www.snopes.com/spoons/faxlore/pi.htm

To tell the truth, while evolution seems to explain the physical evidence fairly well, the total amount of material supporting it is somewhat sparse. I have no problems using evolution to explain some of the workings of the universe any more than I am loath to use Newtonian physics to explain and predict the happenings in my everyday world (except for those rare occasions when I travel at near-light-speed velocities ).

If the heliocentric theory did not disprove God's existence (nor prove it) then evolution stands little chance of doing the same.

--Baloo

------------------
It's perfectly logical. Except for this little bit right here.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, that Urban Legend sure had been warped by the time I heard about it.

------------------
Headmaster suspended for using big-faced boy as satellite-dish
-The Day Today

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps