Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Here is what I have learned so far. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Here is what I have learned so far.
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking a Bio 100 class here at Asbury College ( http://www.asbury.edu ) We are reading a book called Science in Biology and here is what I have found out in the first ten or so pages. These are just some quotes that have meanbing to what is being discussed here.

"A set of ideas that can not, in principle, be falsified is not science" Science is proving things false, not proving them right. Religion is not science because it can not be falsified. Evolution is a theory that has not yet been proven false, yet is accepted due to life time of the theory and it's impossiblity to prove it true or false.
"Science only deals with the known natural universe." Religion is supernatural!

There are passages in both the OT and NT that say God does not see time the same way we do. He has a plan and it's on schedule. When God said to Moses "7 days" it's no teeling how long or short he meant. If He tells me "Bryce, I'll take care of this shortly" It could be a month or more.

Something I learned in Western Civ is that orginally religion promoted science and the arts. Trying to find our gods moved us to look at our would. I now see the bigger problem as man putting science and the arts ahead of religion.

Well, I need to do my OT 110 reading assignment, now.

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!
"I'm down with Bill Gates, I call him Money for short
I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*chuckles*

"Religion cannot be falsified"? Then how can you explain the hundreds of varieties of religions out there? Can they ALL be right?

"Science deals with the natural, religion deals with the supernatural."

Well, at least we can show empirical evidence that the natural even exists. Show me a supernatural being.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't show you a supernatural being, that is why science doesn't deal with the supernatural.

Yes. Any religion could be right, but we have the chioce to decide which one is right.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're becoming more liberal.. better watch out.

I don't think the traditional Christian viewpoint is that WE get to decide which religion is right. I think that that's supposed to have been figured out by the Big Guy, and those of us who choose wrong are zapped later on.

Therefore, only one path is true (what is that quote, "the way is straight, but the path is narrow," or something?) and the rest have been falsified.

Of course you can't show a supernatural being. Neither can you hear it, smell it, taste it, touch it, or observe or measure its effects with anything approaching reliability or consistency. It's essentially not there. Which is just as good as saying that it's REALLY not there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited August 26, 1999).]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the title of this book is very telling. . . I mean, The SCIENCE of Biology?! As opposed to what? The Trepanning of Biology? I mean, what next? Chemistry Not Involving Phlogiston? Geography of Round Worlds?
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

The traditional Christian viewpoint is that God has given us free will to do as we choose. He did not want puppets for children.

I am becoming better educated, not liberal. I always knew I needed to learn more now I am.

Lee: You got the title wrong.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is a difference between wrong and not being right.

But religion can't be proven true or false, because it doesn't work that way. Religions can be right or wrong, but not true or false...True and false is where science dwells...religion deals with right and wrong.

------------------
"I will remember you...Will you remember me?
Don't let your love pass you by...Weep not for the memories..."
Sarah McLachlan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

but those of us who don't choose the path we're supposed to DO get zapped later on.. or has Christian thought on this subject changed radically since the last time I checked?

------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yes. Any religion could be right, but we have the chioce to decide which one is right."

Actually, I thought that WAS liberal of you to say that. Long ago, before my mom took me to church and stuff, I distinctly remember reading some Christianity FAQ. I don't remember where, what language (I can read Chinese), or what age I read it, but there's one question and answer that stuck in my mind. It asked, "Does Christianity accept the existence of other religions?" Well, being the tolerant person that I was, I thought, yes, any good, logical religion can coexist with others, right? And the answer said, "No, Christianity is the one true religion, and all others are false." That REALLY turned me off. It still does.

------------------
"I told you. You're dead. This is the afterlife. And I'm God."
--Q to Picard, "Tapestry".

JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora, since religion requires that it be taken on faith it cannot be regarded as logical. The reason I try to avoid debates on this matter is that it is ultimately impossible to logically prove or disprove the existance of God as Jeff pointed out. Whatever conclusion you might come to, I can think of no way of definatively testing that conclusion either for or against (anyone got any ideas?).

As for tolerance no religion can possibly be tolerant of any other. Consider this scenario; I believe that god 'A' is the one and only true god who created the universe. The people/tribe/group etc. next door believe that god 'B' helped by gods 'C', 'D' and 'E' did the creating stuff and live high up in the mountains. By definition I can't be tolerant of their beliefs. If I do then I must have doubts about my own religion and thus am not a true believer. If I don't doubt my own religion then I must know absolutely that they are wrong. Since they are wrong and are all going to suffer come judgement day then I should go over and convert them (using force if necessary-maybe a few burnings might be in order) but you must understand I'm only doing this for their own good. Naturally my neighbours are thinking exactly the same. Not hard to realise why religion has been responsible for more misery in human history than anything else. On the other hand I might decide to live and let live. Let the 'heathens' do things their own way while I'm safe in the absolute certainty that there's a place reserved for me in the afterlife. I suspect that this is the degree of 'tolerance' that exists at the moment.

The FAQ you quoted can't possibly say anything else but; "...Christianity is the one true religion, and all others are false.". You can replace 'Christianity' with any other religion of your choice and the statement is equally valid.

------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am not a politician) - Rene Descartes

IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

I never said I believed any other religion was right, I just said it was possible.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still find it funny, that Jesus' message was about tolerance and love, and yet many Christians say they shouldn't tolerate other religions, or gays, or anyone who disagrees with them.

------------------
Sarah McLachlan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

The only people who are free of the above vicious circle are those who decide there's no god/s or afterlife to be concerned with. Since there are no souls to save, the non-believers aren't concerned about converting their neighbors, and are free to ignore their gibbering, except for worrying about how long it'll be before their neighbors, in their zeal, attempt to convert them forcibly. Plus, they're able to focus their attentions on the here-and-now, and the future of their people, instead of expecting imminent annihilation from Above.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

First of Two, how I disagree with you on much that you said there... My beliefs don't necessarily follow the 'traditional' Christian, I still believe in God, and that anyone who can follow Jesus' message is allowed in Heaven.
But before I go too far into my beliefs, I leave you with this.

"It doesn't matter if you don't believe in God...God believes in you."

------------------
Sarah McLachlan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

It doesn't matter if you don't believe in Santa Claus... Santa Claus believes in you.

It doesn't matter if you don't believe in the Tooth Fairy... the Tooth Fairy believes in you.

It doesn't matter if you don't believe in Snuffleuppagus... Snuffleuppagus believes in you.

Each of the above statements are equally valid to yours, in the eyes of somebody who doesn't believe in the first place. Not particularly a strong point, is it?

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps