Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Morality is it overrated (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Morality is it overrated
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziyal, apparently you haven't met my mother

------------------
Show me the meaning of being lonely
Is this the feeling, I need to walk in
Tell me why I can't be there where you are
There's something missing in my heart

-Backstreet Boys

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Catholics don't seem to understand that sex is not the original sin. (that's the problem with religions that don't encourage their people to actually read the book) That's why they have that ridiculous "no condoms!" rule.

------------------
"She's just as bored as me." - Kurt Cobain
Polly, Nirvana

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lol*

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I mean, if you read Genesis, it's pretty obvious that the Original Sin was Gullibility. I mean, we got two naked fruit-munching simpletons who weren't even bright enough not to listen to a talking snake.

But when we consider Him who made them so imperfect, who put the snake in the garden, who created the snake AND the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil (thereby creating the first evil,) it's pretty clear that the whole thing was a set-up from the start, and would be thrown out of any court in the US, as it constituted Entrapment.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt you can serve the supeana to god.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*can't help but laugh* Uh, oh...... hehehe

~LOA

------------------
"When the toast is burnin', all the milk has turned'
and Captain Crunch is waving farewell....
When the big one finds you, may this song remind you
that they don't serve breakfast in Hell!" ~Newsboys, Breakfast

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Necro: We'll just see about that.
*looks around furtively*
*goes back to reading 'quaint and curious volumes of forgotten lore'*

Hm... To Serve God...

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael: What I pointed out is that "they, as a group," are not homophobics. Whatever info I presented was the official word that I've learned in a class. Catholics, like ALL people, range from liberal to conservative.

DT: "(that's the problem with religions that don't encourage their people to actually read the book)"

You're talking about Catholicism before 1963.

P.S. What I'm doing (explaining Catholicism) is actually quite funny to me. I love my school, but once I get outta here, I'm never taking another religion class.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I checked, the official Catholic position on homosexuality is that it's flat-out "wrong" (the acts, of course, not the being). Which, of course, if the participants are unmarried, goes right along w/ their views of heterosexuality. However, since they don't condone gay marriages, they are basically saying that they don't think that gays should be allowed, under any circumstances to, erm... do... that.

Of course, this only makes any difference if you actually give a rat's ass about ceremonial marriage.

Anyway, where was I? Okay... If the Catholics were to read their own bible, they would see this:

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.

That's Leviticus 20:13, if anyone needs confirmation. Now, obviously, the Vatican hasn't declared intent of genocide against the entire homosexual community (though, technically, I think lesbians are safe, simply by biblical oversight). So, if they've already decided to ignore this blatant condonation of the death penalty for gay sex, why haven't they ignored homosexuality completely?

I think it's for the same reason that groups like the KKK still exist. People want something to hate, so they find people who are different from them in some way, and they direct their disdain at those people. I think the reason that anti-gay feelings are so much more accepted than racism, sexism, etc. is that people can use the excuse "they choose to be that way". Well, it may be easier for a gay to pretend to be staright than for a woman to pretend to be a man or a black person to pretend to be white, but what does that mean? Basically, the arguement comes off as "everyone needs to try to be as much like me as they can; if they refuse to, I get to hate them, and it's their fault".

Y'know how I know this is true? For a while, I used to be one of those people. It's not very often that I admit being wrong, but here we are. I was always disgusted by racism and sexism and whatever other forms of hating people for something they couldn't help. But I hated gays. Why? Hell if I know. At some point, I got to thinking about it, and I realized that I had been rationalizing in my mind. I had been telling myself that gays might not be able to keep themselves from being that way, but they could certainly stop themselves from acting that way. I came up w/ all sorts of explanations of how homosexuality went against natural law: if it were supposed to be, why would we even have two genders? Then I realized what I was doing. I tried to figure out why I felt the way I did, and I came up completely empty-handed. There was absolutely no reason for my hatred other than unthinking fear of something "different". It made me sick to see that I had not only given in to these fears, but I had put them up on a pedastal of rationalizations instead of seeing them for what they were and casting them away. But all it took was a few moments of logical thought to notice just how astronomically ignorant I had been.

Now, when I think about how much hatred there is in the world today, despite the fact that simple rational thought is all it takes to abolish it... it's almost incomprehendible. It really does sicken me to know that this is so. And it's so much the worse when this hatred is hidden and bolstered up under guise of "religion". That's the problem w/ religion. If you can convince someone that your beliefs come from some all-powerful, infallible god, you are "right" in their eyes, no matter how horrific your beliefs.

Now you can see why I avoid the Flameboard. I start out w/ a simple reply to what the official Catholic stance is on homosexuality, and look where I end up...

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you, retro-Karrde!

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Faith" is a four-letter-word spelled creatively.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, Necromancer, the pseudo-Goth S/M sketch artist with the attitude. I remember him. O brother, where art thou?

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, I heard on the radio the other day that half of teenage boys and some percentage (smaller than the boys) of girls (in the UK this is) thought that is was OK for a man to rape or hit his wife if she hit him. Personally I think that is wrong, but I was just wondering which does it fall under - morals or ethics? I'm still confused by the difference.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps