Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Morality is it overrated (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Morality is it overrated
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick grab from dictionary, let's see...

Morality: Standards, beliefs about what is right and wrong behavior, esp. regarding sex: Religious people talk about the need for greater morality in every era.

Ethic: moral or correct behavior: The priest spoke about the Christian ethic: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 2 pl. a system of moral or correct conduct, moral principles: Her ethics in
business are excellent.

I agree, I don't think the two are different concepts, maybe just used at different times.
Ethics sounds more professional, kind of like "scruples". Morality sounds more personal, like "decency" and such.

Let's just say they go together.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Morality" tends to imply religiosity, while "Ethics" is a somewhat more secular term.

You'll generally hear about scientific 'ethics' and medical 'ethics', but not scientific or medical 'morality.'

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my God. Made me do a double-take when I saw my name in the thread. I don't usually look at the date first.

------------------
"I was as dead as a lesbian black chick at a republican fundraiser."
--Burns Flipper, The Longest Journey

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two: Then there was my example of "Christian ethic" up there. So apparently they're both used in both arenas, scientific and religious.

Oh, the humanity!!!

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps