Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What's the difference? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What's the difference?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, this thread is about abortion. If you don't like that, blame Fo2. He's the one that suggested that I start a new thread on the topic. Hi, First!

I pose the question that I asked in another thread: why would you not accord a child the rights accorded to all human beings simply because of the minor difference that it is not born yet? Give me one reason why an unborn child should not be considered a member of the human race, entitled to all the rights and privelages thereof.

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ngah! If that's your opinion...then I actually agree with Omega on something! Dear Lord, where's them flyin' pigs.

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Abortions for none!
Boo!
Alright... Abortions for everyone!
Boo!
Hmm... Abortions for some, little American flags for others!
Yeah!

I personally am against abortions. Don't ask to give reasons, cause you won't get any. *L* I just think that a person is a person the moment they are conceived.

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Not a bad point.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's no more a point than "because it's not a real person" for the other side.

Why am I for abortion? I've already said why, but I'll reitieriate here: I'm pro-choice. This does not mean "abortions for all." This means I feel the option should be left open for consideration if the person chooses. Five years ago, my mother told me that had she not had an abortion in 1970, I'd've had an older half-sibling. Wow. I had a girlfriend who was raised Southern Baptist, who personally did not believe in abortion, but was pro-choice because she recognized that her beliefs were no better or worse than another's. As a man, I don't really think what I feel matters. I just know I want that option to be available to my wife/girlfriend/daughter/sister so that SHE can make the choice about HER own body.

I cannot say that I personally would advocate or NOT advocate an abortion. It's a case-by-case basis for me. If any female in my life came to me looking for advice on the decision, I would ask for the facts at had, aske her why she was considering it, & then advise thusly. Such is the way of the rabbi...heh. Seriously, though...I cannot say, "No, don't get an abortion because it's immoral." That's not my place, nor is it my place to make a decision for someone on a subject I couldn't possibly have any knowledge on.

Fly me to Sweden for an operation, let me get knocked up, & then I'll tell you how I feel.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is simple in its complexity. What defines a human being? Is being human simply a matter of possessing a certain pattern of genes? Is it consciousness?

In any case, an embryo is arguably not human at the moment of conception, any more than my fingernails are. It does, however, reach that consciousness hurdle relatively early on in the pregnancy. (As defined by brainwave activity. First it has to develop a brain, of course.) Before this point, I see little to debate about. After it, things get a bit tricky.

However, there is a difference between my personal ethics and those I am willing to see imposed upon society. While I may find abortion as birth control to be more than a bit repulsive, I find the concept of the government taking the decision out of the hands of the attending doctors to be far worse.

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
It's not my birthday so why do you lunge out at me?
--
They Might Be Giants
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! I'll give you a cookie.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pro choice on it though if my girlfriend got pregnant, we'd keep it.
I think that it should be allowed. A fetus/embryo/unborn child isn't independent or even conciously aware of it's surroundings let alone able to think and reason as a human does. However, I think there's a point where it should be illegal, after so many months it shouldn't be permitted.

------------------
Ex-Admin at the TrekBBS.com

Cute, cuddly, widdle teddy bears usually will eat you alive unless you can prove you're a god.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 20 weeks over here I think. What's it in the US.

While I agree that it contains the potential to be a human, so does every sperm and egg you possess. That doesn't mean you should go out and start rodgering women every night.

By 20 weeks though, it is almost inarguably contains some form of consciousness. At 4 weeks, it almost certainly doesn't. It's the time in between that's tricky, as it's impossible to say "Right here. Here's where it becomes a person"

I'd drop the limit down as low as it can possibly go while still being practical. OTOH, I'd also say that in certain situations, abortions over that limit should be allowed, but again, only up to a (higher) time limit.

But it's a tricky situation. One even harder to argue over than guns, because it's much harder to measure.

------------------
"A fully functioning, cybernetic, technologically advanced team of superheroes... and NOBODY'S got a flashlight?"
- Polly Ester; Samurai Pizza Cats

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pro-life, but to a point.

Suppose some poor girl got *ahem* raped by a psychomaniac and got pregnant by him. If she chooses to have an abortion, I would not object. It would be insulting to add an additional burden to an already victimized person.

Suppose there is a problem with the pregnancy and there is a risk that the mother and baby will die unless the mother has an abortion. I would not object.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A fetus/embryo/unborn child isn't independent or even conciously aware of it's surroundings let alone able to think and reason as a human does."

You could say the same thing about Hellen Keller as a child, yet I don't think anyone would say that she wasn't human. A child born a vegetable is the same way, yet they are human, are they not?

I agree with Tahna's possible exceptions. Obviously, the second treats the child as a human being, as it should. The first gives me pause, but I'd still go along with it. I'd probably try and talk the woman out of it, but I think she should have that choice under those circumstances.

"While I agree that it contains the potential to be a human, so does every sperm and egg you possess."

Not true. If you leave a zygote alone in optimal conditions, it has the capability to become anything you or I could be. If you leave a sperm cell alone in optimal conditions, it'll be dead within a week.

"an embryo is arguably not human at the moment of conception, any more than my fingernails are."

But it WILL become a human. Why should you not give it the benefit of the doubt and call it a human, too?

------------------
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, since the 'spontaneous abortion' (miscarriage) rate is fairly high (perhaps higher than the actual birth rate, if you count zygotes that die within a day or two of conception, without the pregnancy being noted), saying it WILL happen is an iffy business. Nature (or God, if you prefer) performs far more abortions than any doctor.

As for something's 'potential' to become human/intelligent... Someday, cows might become sentient. What if you're eating the great*10th grandfather of the first talking cow?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited June 21, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

There's a difference between a cow that MIGHT exist in 10ex5 years and a child that exists now. A big difference.

Your point about miscarrages is good (but one wonders exactly how someone would count unrecorded miscarrages). Perhaps I should have said that without outside interference, there's a very good chance that it will become an undisputed human being.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not true. If you leave a zygote alone in optimal conditions, it has the capability to become anything you or I could be. If you leave a sperm cell alone in optimal conditions, it'll be dead within a week."

And what IS optimal conditons eh? Are you saying that optimal conditions for a zygote are within the womb or an artificial womb? Because I'd say optimal conditions for a sperm would include an egg.

A zygote is designed to grow into a human. A sperm is designed to fertalise an egg. They're the same thing, just at different points on the track.

------------------
"A fully functioning, cybernetic, technologically advanced team of superheroes... and NOBODY'S got a flashlight?"
- Polly Ester; Samurai Pizza Cats

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one other question...

Do human beings have an innate 'right to exist,' (I know the U.S. Declaration of Independence says so, but... so?) and is that right more innate to man than it is to any other life form? And if so, why? And does any authority other than Man recognize this so-called right? (*Rolls Magic 8-Ball...* My sources say 'no.')

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pro-choice. I think women should be able to decide on their own what they want. I think it's more important to let the option to be open.

But on another note, I'd say Hellen Keller was able to reason and was aware of her surroundings. She still had 3 of her 5 senses and could figure out what various smells meant as well as where things were by touch. Just because she couldn't hear or see doesn't mean that her brain didn't work like any other child's.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps