Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Mutant registration.............. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mutant registration..............
D. Lerious
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If mutants, as they are depicted in the X-Men were to exist, would you agree with having a registration law? I wouldn't because it could lead to government persecution, and/or discrimination.
------------------
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

[This message has been edited by D. Lerious (edited July 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by D. Lerious (edited July 20, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd never support such a law, but I don't doubt conservative fundies would.

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha!

Mutant Powers.
Firearms.

When used responsibly, both safe and even beneficial.
When used irresponsibly, both immeasurably destructive.

If you register one, you'd have to register both.

Now you see what road that leads down?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziyal:

Why, praytell, would you say that?

'Course, the difference between guns and mutant powers is that you can't confiscate someone's mutant powers, whether they're used in a crime or not. I'd just treat it the same as race, meaning completely ignore it.

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this really flameworthy? Oh, right, guns have crawled in. Good thinking, D!

Anyway, there is a tiny, tiny, ever so miniscule difference between, say, a handgun and the Dark Phoenix.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TZ's got a point: I can't imagine a good, open-minded liberal ever wanting to violate anyone's rights.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I was just thinking along the lines of the fundie treatment of homosexuals and how mutants can easily be seen as devil's spawns or something like that.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L*

Oh, is THAT why it was primarily liberals who voted against the civil rights act?

------------------
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also recall learning that the conservative South voted Democrat until the sixties or so. I'm sure there are conservatives among liberals, but why don't you kindly show some proof for that, please?

------------------

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
conservative liberals?
Omega
Member # 91

I was just thinking the same think, Xen. Wha?

The best example I can give you off the top of my head is Al Gore, Sr. Liberal, voted against the civil rights act. I can probably get more, if you want, but give me some time.

------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L* Well I'd hate to agree with Omega, but I'd ignore it totally as well.

Besides, in real life determental mutations outnumber beneficial ones by..well...a lot. Therefore, for every Wolverine, there are ten people with claws coming out their ass (yeah...I know the claws were added later...picky..picky) and for every Cyclopes theres a unlucky guy with a laser beam in his spleen.

------------------
1957: The space age begins when the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, is placed in orbit by the Soviet Union on October 4. Our German rocket scientists get very
annoyed with their German rocket scientists. � Outpost

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

Sure there are conservative liberals and liberal conservatives. They're called moderates.

If you want a more exact example, consider Catholics. Many Catholics are liberal, but they are dead set against abortion. My history teacher is pretty liberal (actually ALL my teachers are liberals), but he doesn't support gun control--though he'd never keep a gun and he thinks they're merely symbols of control. My English teacher who's an almost-nun (she quit the convent just before becoming one) said she's becoming more conservative as she gets older, but still obviously liberal.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Well, abortion, like capital punishment, isn't exactly a conservative or liberal issue. No matter which way the laws go, the government isn't going to get any more or less power over your life. It's just that the conservative or liberal mindset is frequently condusive to accepting one or the other.

------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

I forgot to mention that these same teachers also supported McCain over Al Gore. But now that McCain's out of the picture, they'd vote Al Gore by default. McCain's a bit liberal for a conservative, no? I heard that he's popular with the moderate population but not with his own party.

"It's just that the conservative or liberal mindset is frequently condusive to accepting one or the other."

If the conservative or liberal mindset tends to accept one or the other, wouldn't that make those issues either liberal or conservative? In other words, doesn't that apply to every other liberal/conservative issue?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited July 21, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps