Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » For the theologians... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: For the theologians...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who does not question God's existence at least once in his life cannot truly accept God.

Dispute this.

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That actually sounds pretty good
(not much of a flame I suppose )

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is God perfect?
Yes.
Can God create something he cannot destroy?
Er...

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Can God create something he cannot destroy?"

Or, as philosophers used to put it, can God create a rock so big he can't lift it? Got me.

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Can God create something he cannot destroy?"
Yes, that is already done. What is it? It is called mankind.

Why can't God destroy it?
If God destroys it, then there is nothing left that knows God exists.

"We think, therefor God exists."
- me

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question arose a few centuries back because some people didn't see that omnipotence doesn't allow you to do things that are logically impossible. God can not make something impossible for him to do, by definition, since He can do anything. It'd be contradictory.

------------------
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God does not exist because, it was proven that he does not with the existence of the Babel fish which couldn't have evolved by chance. Therefore, that is the proof that God exists, but, "proof denies faith, and without faith, God is nothing" So God disappears in a poof of logic,

oh man, i've been reading too much Douglas Adams.

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Omega
Member # 91

Uh, oh. Thermodynamics dictates the existance of God, so therefore God does not exist. Well, there go the laws of physics...

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thermonynamics dictates no such thing. Bleah.

Again, I think that this all depends on WHICH or what KIND of "God" you are considering the existence of.

Will any kind do, or must it fit within the dictates of traditional JudeoChristian thought, and follow Biblical descriptors with some degree of accuracy?

A Deistic God is eminently possible, but as a completely unobservable phenomenon, having no interaction with the universe following its inception, it requires no further thought other than acceptance.

Other Gods become progresively more difficult to rationalize as stories of their involvement and activities increase. From a dispassionate standpoint, that is. Much as a fantabulist can rationalize any conflict between the myriad stories he/she tells, or between the stories and the real world, so can a faithful one (or most, at any rate) rationalize any seeming contradictions in his/her personal faith, or between his/her personal faith and reality. Often with as much convoluted reasonings (see the coming postulations on Thermodynamics, should any arise).

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you have to look farther than the Genius that is Gene Ray to find a definitive, absolute answer to this age-old question.
quote:

God can't occupy 4-corners.
Time Cube disproves God.
God is an evil adult "word
scam" against children that
justifies adult plunder of all
natural resources on Earth.
www.timecube.com

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited July 25, 2000).]

Omega
Member # 91

First:

The kind that has the ability to defy the laws of physics, or set up those laws in the first place, thus creating the universe is the kind of god I'm talking about. This kind of god MUST exist, due to laws on increasing entropy dictating a point in the past beyond which they themselves didn't apply. Everything else about this god is debatable, including HOW he (we'll call this god a 'he', for the sake of simplicity) created the universe, or even whether he's aware of it.

------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question is: Why would God (if there is a god) even care if we worshipped him or not?

------------------
1957: The space age begins when the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, is placed in orbit by the Soviet Union on October 4. Our German rocket scientists get very
annoyed with their German rocket scientists. � Outpost

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: That's the Deistic God. And even its existence is simply speculation. We don't know yet if the Universe really NEEDS a GodCause.

I wonder if the "Time Cube" guy knows that his sentence structure mirrors that of a schizophrenic?

Mucus: parallels that eternal question, doesn't it?

"What does God want with a starship?"

"What does God want with the adulation of a largely hairless omnivorous anthropoid biped?"

To me, this would be like being worshipped and loved by a colony of ants. Sure, it might stroke my ego, but I can't interact meaningfully with them, so what good will it do either of us? (Oh, and then if they pester me enough with their constant entreaties, I just might get mad and flatten the anthill in a regrettable fit of pique.)

Now being worshipped by CATS, that'd be an accomplishment.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Jeff's orginal statement. At some point in your life you will question God, you will question anything you believe in at some point. Hopefully after questioning anything you find the truth about the matter. C.S. Lewis denied Christ for years with the simple complaint, "What about all this suffering?" He eventually came to know Christ while on a motorcycle in England I do believe. (?)

------------------
If you don't believe in what I say or the God I speak of I guess you'll just have to meet me so the Lord and I can convert you.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then proceeded to hammer us over the head with "Look! It's a religious parallel" for seven whole books.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps